By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite Nintendo home console?

What's your favorite Nintendo home console?

Nintendo Entertainment System 43 4.80%

Super Nintendo Entertainment System 181 20.20%

Nintendo 64 153 17.08%

GameCube 144 16.07%

Wii 42 4.69%

Wii U 42 4.69%

Switch 291 32.48%

Total:896

The Switch has a very good library but a lot of it is built on games from previous platforms, like BOTW and Mario Kart 8 and Mario 3D World and NSMBU are Wii U games basically even Smash is basically an all-inclusive port of the Wii U game with new DLC, things like Witcher 3 and Skyrim are ports of older PS3/PS4 games.

The SNES has Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: LttP, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, F-Zero, Final Fantasy V and VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Star Fox, Earthbound ... all of these games are certified classics.

I'm not sure how many of those the Switch has, which are actually just Switch-only games. Mario Odyssey, OK, Animal Crossing, sure, Splatoon 2 (though even this one takes a lot of its content from the Wii U game) perhaps, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Legends, but those SNES games mentioned above, they're still highly thought of like 25+ years later.

Around the Network

I don't think a game needs to be exclusive to "count".
A lot of multiplatform games are considering some of best games available for their respective platforms/years/generations.
As a Wii U/PS3/360 owner stuff like Mario Kart 8 or Skyrim don't factor into for me, but titles like Monster Hunter, Ori, Witcher 3, Hellblade, 13 Sentinels, Doom 2016/Eternal, etc absolutely do. Them being available on PC/PS4/Xbox One doesn't change the fact that I played and loved them on Switch.

For now the SNES is definitely still ahead for me, (and still in my opinion the #1 console of all time) but looking to the future, the Switch still has plenty of potentially stellar titles in the pipeline, so which one comes out on top at the end of the day is an open question for me. I think it definitely has the potential.

curl-6 said:

A lot of multiplatform games are considering some of best games available for their respective platforms/years/generations.
As a Wii U/PS3/360 owner stuff like Mario Kart 8 or Skyrim don't factor into for me, but titles like Monster Hunter, Ori, Witcher 3, Hellblade, 13 Sentinels, Doom 2016/Eternal, etc absolutely do. Them being available on PC/PS4/Xbox One doesn't change the fact that I played and loved them on Switch.

For now the SNES is definitely still ahead for me, (and still in my opinion the #1 console of all time) but looking to the future, the Switch still has plenty of potentially stellar titles in the pipeline, so which one comes out on top at the end of the day is an open question for me. I think it definitely has the potential.

They don't need to be exclusive, but when a large chunk of several of the highly touted games on the system are actually from a different platform, the SNES deserves a lot of credit in that basically all of it's big gun software was original and made for the system, with maybe the exception of Super Mario All-Stars.

Arguably 3/4 biggest Switch titles, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash Ultimate, and Zelda: BOTW are basically Wii U games ported over. 

That has to be a point in the SNES' favor and a big one, pretty much all of its big ticket software was made for the SNES specifically and not repurposed from the NES or other systems. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

They don't need to be exclusive, but when a large chunk of several of the highly touted games on the system are actually from a different platform, the SNES deserves a lot of credit in that basically all of it's big gun software was original and made for the system, with maybe the exception of Super Mario All-Stars.

Arguably 3/4 biggest Switch titles, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash Ultimate, and Zelda: BOTW are basically Wii U games ported over. 

That has to be a point in the SNES' favor and a big one, pretty much all of its big ticket software was made for the SNES specifically and not repurposed from the NES or other systems. 

I think this mostly speaks to the difference in time period; games are massively more expensive to make today compared to the SNES era so more games are multiplatform to cover their costs.

Which Switch games are the "biggest" doesn't really matter to me, nor does whether a game is also on PS4, I didn't enjoy Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal any less for being multiplatform or not being in the sales top 10. They're still awesome and a credit to the Switch's lineup.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 May 2022

PSwii60 said:

The switch just edging out the SNES. It’s essentially what the Wii should’ve been.
Plus. I thoroughly enjoy the split controller. I could lay in any position I deem comfortable.

Agreed. The switch has great support for indie and some AA productions, this is the first key difference. The switch was the "successor" 3ds, Wiiu, and Psvita.

Second, Nintendo now understands better the expanded market. In the Wii era, Nintendo try to use motion control in everything, this was a wrong move, better to offer many options of control than one control mandatory ( likewise NES). And second, the wrong move related to this is to try to force the expanded market to become the core market, Nintendo needs to address game launching for their diverse market. 

Third. Nintendo can maintain a good launch of their games and avoid a big gap between the first-party games launches. 

Around the Network

SNES as I think's not only Nintendo's best but one of the best consoles ever made. I feel Switch is challenging its place but I keep going back and forth if it has surpassed SNES yet. Some days I think it has and other days feel it needs a full cycle before that can be definitive. One thing is for sure, SNES is more important in gaming history than Switch will be.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Switch of course, it is also a portable, it has the best nintendo controller ever, the pro controller which is wireless with a 40 hour battery, it takes regular sd cards, its always on and ready to go as no one really switches it off. You also do not need save points as you can go away and turn it on and continue from where you left off. It also has by far the best library of any nintendo console.

Oh yes, the Nintendo 64. One damn strangest console ever made and got strangest games ever made.

-Turok 1
-Turok 2
-Turok Rage Wars
-Shadow Man
-Doom 64
-Duke Nukem 64
-Winback
-Star Fox 64
-Mario Kart 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Ocarina of Time
-Majora's Mask
-Diddy Kong Racing

Follow up for GameCube, it was nice console, i played Super Smash Bros. Melee too much with my friends lol

-Super Mario Sunshine
-Luigi's Mansion
-The Wind Waker
-The Twilight Princess
-Mario Party 4
-Mario Kart Double Dash!!
-Metroid Prime 1
-Metroid Prime 2
-SoulCalibur 2
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
-Sonic Heroes
-Series Sam The Next Encounter