By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite Nintendo home console?

What's your favorite Nintendo home console?

Nintendo Entertainment System 43 4.80%

Super Nintendo Entertainment System 181 20.20%

Nintendo 64 153 17.08%

GameCube 144 16.07%

Wii 42 4.69%

Wii U 42 4.69%

Switch 291 32.48%

Total:896

Easily Switch. Gamecube is second.

My top 5:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Astral Chain
3. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
4. Metroid Dread
5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

(Super Mario Sunshine would have been #3 but it's only available as part of a collection so I left it out)

My top 5 with only Switch exclusives:

1. Astral Chain
2. Metroid Dread
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. Splatoon 2
5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Around the Network

NES hands down. As a matter of fact, if I could only take one of my consoles on an island forever, it would be that one with all my carts. SNES would come second. Those original Nintendo consoles will always be the best imo, because they were the most innovative and their games never get old. I can play those games endlessly.

I'm not considering the Switch for my vote yet, since it's not finished delivering great games, but it would certainly be in my top five game systems of all time already.

This makes it between the NES and the SNES for me. While the NES wins based on how groundbreaking its software was and how it shaped the industry, it's difficult to match the outstanding library of titles on the SNES and how incredibly well they have aged, so I choose the Super Nintendo.

Top 5 games:

1. Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Metroid
4. SMW2: Yoshi's Island
5. Super Castlevania 4

It has to be NES. I'm 40 now, it was my childhood.

So many memories, seeing SMB3 for the first time, trying hopelessly to beat Super Macho Man in Punch Out!, dying for the millionth time in TMNT (never finished it of course), trying to beat my total $ score in DuckTales, duking it out with friends in Nintendo World Cup, finding the hammer in Zelda 2, dipping the letter that came with the box for StarTropics in water to reveal the secret code, showing everyone how to get to the minus world in SMB1, racing in RC Pro Am, getting 100 % in Kirby's Adventure and unlock all the bonus content, getting lost in Simon's Quest, scratching our heads to solve the next Adventures of Lolo level, the list is endless. To me the late 80's and early 90's will always be the golden age of gaming!

Super Nintendo. The games were just more fresh and a lot more variety.

Top 5 games:
- Chrono Trigger
- Zelda A Link to the Past
- Super Mario World
- Street Fighter Alpha 2
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltles IV: Turtles in Time

Around the Network

A hard question to answer.

As a home console by itself probably WiiU could take the spot.

Just cosidering the machine not the games it has. Acceptable power, first HD from Nintendo, unique capacities and the second screen was super cool ( gamepad was and is very underrated).

If the software takes part of the equation the answer would be another regrettably

I gotta say Switch. It has many games from my top 50, and a few in my top 10 of all time: Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Sonic Colors.
Holy smokes... 5 of my top 10 of all time is on Switch... The others are : Ocarina of Time, Arkham City, Super Mario Galaxy 2, A Link Between Worlds, Twilight Princess... And both Arkham and TP were heavily rumored to get ports.

Even not counting ports. There are 3 games built for Switch in my top 10 of all time. Switch takes the cake.

1doesnotsimply

The SNES.

It's filled to the brim with golden classics, including some of Nintendo's best work ever and the full support of third parties.

It's vibrant 2D visuals and ahead-of-its-time audio hold up remarkably, its excellent controller set the template from which the standard layout of today evolved, it plays host to both the height of 2D gaming and some of the first exciting steps into the third dimension, and even more than 30 years after its release it is a blast to play.

To me it's not just Nintendo's best console, it is the greatest console ever made by any company.

Top 5:

1. Donkey Kong Country 2

2. Donkey Kong Country

3. Yoshi's Island

4. Starfox

5. Super Mario World

Most of my nostalgia is with the NES and N64 when it comes to Nintendo. I was mainly on Genesis during the SNES era, though I did have one for Chrono Trigger, Zelda, and Final Fantasy late in its life. That is not enough to beat the nostalgia of the other two however.

I gave my vote to Switch though, because it revitalized gaming for me when the PS4 was feeling dull. I needed a change of pace, and it delivered in spades. The hybrid nature also resulted in getting a lot of extra game time during my downtime at work, while being able to seamlessly continue on my TV at home. Great games and great concept, Switch gets my vote. Had I been more active with Nintendo during the SNES days however, my answer may have been different. It does go down in history for having one of the best classic libraries around afterall.

Top 5

1. Breath of the Wild

2. Xenoblade 2

3. Astral Chain

4. Shin Megami Tensei V

5. Monster Hunter Rise

Honorable mentions: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Smash Ultimate, Mario Odyssey, and Paper Mario Origami King.

Last edited by Shiken - on 02 May 2022

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Would probably vote Switch as the best nintendo system but since it operates more as a handheld it felt like cheating so I went with the Gamecube even if for its time the SNES was a better system.

Top 5.
Resident evil 4
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Smash Bros Melee
Eternal darkness
Donkey Konga