By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 14, 2022 - (28th Mar - 3rd Apr)

Chrkeller said:

Unless I am missing something the Switch is down ~24% YTD...  which yes is still great, but a decline non the less.  I don't see anybody 'overreacting.'  Just reading the data as is.  And being the third greatest selling console of all time is nothing to sneeze at.  Not catching the DS/ps2 isn't required to be successful.  

It's a bit unlucky to look at the YTD currently. 2020 had Animal Crossing boost and 2021 had Monster Hunter boost in March. I expect that Switch performs very well during spring/summer with Nintendo Switch Sports, Mario Strikers and Splatoon 3. 2020 had heavy hardware shortages during the next months and 2021 had some low numbers before the OLED model launch during summer.

I don't say Switch will outperform 2020 or 2021, but I think hardware sales should be very solid with continued OLED model interest during this year.

Around the Network
Marth said:
leo-j said:

Is the stock situation for OLED bad in Japan? The switch OLED is easily available in the west and has been most of the year.

There is enough OLED stock in Japan. Switch is past it's peak. It won't reach 2020/2021 sales again.

OLED: dropped 30 %, Lite and original: the same as last week. It's shortages obviously.

Otter said:

Does Elden Ring PS4 offer a free PS5 upgrade in Japan?

It does. PS4 version probably sells better elsewhere too, as it's cheaper and can be upgraded for free. The same goes for a bunch of other (third party) games as well.

There were pre-orders that were cancelled for Elden Ring in Japan on PS5 and exchanged for PS4 copies as that version ran better. Then they could upgrade later.

brute said:
Chrkeller said:

Unless I am missing something the Switch is down ~24% YTD...  which yes is still great, but a decline non the less.  I don't see anybody 'overreacting.'  Just reading the data as is.  And being the third greatest selling console of all time is nothing to sneeze at.  Not catching the DS/ps2 isn't required to be successful.  

Comparing to H1 2021 wont paint a clear picture. Switch had one of the best first half of any console ever last year, it sold 3 million in the first half and then only ~2.5 million in the second half.

Another way to look at it is that its 40% above 2019.

Switch is destined to decline this year but I feel like its an overreaction when the word disappointing is used regarding its sales (not referring to you obviously).

Fair point(s).  For starters, IMHO, Switch sales can't be disappointing.  Worse case scenario is the Switch is 3rd all time.  And a cliff isn't coming, but just a natural decline with plenty of legs left.  Which all makes sense.  I expect a Switch 2 in 2024, which will be great.  I suspect it will be a rather significant upgrade in hardware.  

Around the Network
Ashadelo said:

I love how whenever there is a low week all the negative switch sale users share their unwanted thoughts about how this year is going to be so much lower, that switch is past it's prime, blah blah blah.

If someone said this about the PS5 would they be warned by a mod?

Are you insinuating that users should receive a mod warning for pointing out the factually accurate case that Switch sales are lower than the year before, that is reflected in the data in this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Ashadelo said:

I love how whenever there is a low week all the negative switch sale users share their unwanted thoughts about how this year is going to be so much lower, that switch is past it's prime, blah blah blah.

If someone said this about the PS5 would they be warned by a mod?

People say this all the time about PS5 in these threads and no one gets a warning because it's not warranted. With the comments you typically make about Playstation along with this one, the "unwanted sales thoughts" just sounds like sour grapes on your part. 

Consistency in one sales is the only thing that could tell us the actual trends of any given products. Going on some wild speculation during a single week out of a usual norm doesn't tell us a different narrative cuz it's obvious what the answers since it's obvious what the declined meant.

Anywoo, Triangle Strategy still in Top 20 a month in is great !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Zelda Breath of the Wild not only went back to the top 10, but it's also rising in it (last week it was #10), oh wow oh wow.

Elden Ring on PS4 not free-falling like most PS releases.

Monster Hunter Rise (Best Price) re-enters the top 20 and Triangle Strategy is doing well for the kind of game it is.

Ghostwire Tokyo and Stranger of Paradise are such bombs.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 08 April 2022

It's best to avoid putting a lot of stock into a single week since week 9 was about the same as this one but then 10-13 were notably higher. Also nice to see the PS5 picking up some and closing the gap with 2021.