By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 14, 2022 - (28th Mar - 3rd Apr)

With FY Q4 now done i wonder if Nintendo Switch will get the 4.05 million it needs to hit it's 23m target. We know according to famitsu that Switch sold through around 1.4m for the quarter in Japan which sounds great but last year it sold through 1.75m yet only shipped 1.16m, which suggest massive overshipments for Q3 in 2020. I hope the shortages mean't that Q3 2021 wasn't overshipped so that Q4 shipments come close to sell through numbers.

Regional shipments below, up until FY 2019-20 Nintendo grouped Europe and Rest of the world shipment data together.

Sales in millions.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 10 April 2022

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

With FY Q4 now done i wonder if Nintendo Switch will get the 4.05 million it needs to hit the 23m target. We know according to famitsu that Switch sold through around 1.4m for the quarter in japan which sounds great but last year it sold through 1.75m yet only shipped 1.16m, which suggest massive overshipments for Q3 in 2020. I hope the shortages mean't that Q3 2021 wasn't overshipped so that Q4 shipments come close to sell through numbers.

Regional shipments below, up until FY 2019-20 Nintendo grouped Europe and Rest of the world shipment data together.

Sales in millions.

To get an idea you can compare shipped vs sold gap. All rough estimates below specifically for the quarter(s).

April 2020

- September 2020- ~2.3m sold vs ~2.7m shipped. ~400k on shelves

- December 2020- ~4.25m sold vs ~5.4m shipped. ~1.15m on shelves

April 2021

- September 2021- ~2m sold vs ~2m shipped. ~traces on shelves

- December 2021- ~3.9m sold vs ~4.3m shipped. ~ 400k on shelves

The stock situation should not be as severely overshipped as last year.

Edit: Including LTD sold vs shipped gap for more clarity.

December 2020- 17.33m sold vs 18.88m shipped. ~1.55m on shelves

December 2021- ~23m sold vs 24.3m shipped. ~1.3m on shelves.

With LTD numbers it appears they might have overshipped again.

Last edited by Farsala - on 10 April 2022

Mar1217 said:
Mnementh said:

Elden Ring destroying the Switch dominance - and rightfully so, it is a great game.

Hmm don't know if "destroying" would be the right term to be used when you considerthe Switch dominance on the chart.

More so interrupting

How about: it is interfering with the Switch dominance.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Impressive hold for Elden Ring despite being a PS4/PS5 game in Japan. Kirby hanging on to the top spot and passing Elden Ring pretty quickly. Glad Kirby’s transition to 3D has been successful so far.

Seeing Switch sales decline is nothing to be disappointed at. For it to still sell this well this far into its lifespan and in the type of gaming environment Japan is in right now is nothing short of incredible.

Heck, seeing BOTW get back into the top 10 more than 5 years since it’s debut is pretty amazing, though maybe a byproduct of BOTW 2 getting delayed..Still, it’s amazing such a Zelda game has remained a highly recommended game for those buying a Switch.

Big oof at Ghostwire's second week. Almost out of the top 30 already, and the floor is quite low this week.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Mar1217 said:

Hmm don't know if "destroying" would be the right term to be used when you considerthe Switch dominance on the chart.

More so interrupting

Not bad, but for how long?

Mnementh said:
Mar1217 said:

More so interrupting

I think having 93% of the top 15 titles is still dominant by anyone's definition.  It is interfering with Switch's shut out though.  I also don't think Switch will be having any 30/30 weeks again for quite a while on Famitsu charts, and they'll have to settle for 29/30 weeks instead because of Elden Ring.