By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When do you all think the next major console price cut will be?

Norion said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Switch is the start of a trend where price cuts only happen towards the late portion of the life cycle.

If at all (shudderes).

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Norion said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Switch is the start of a trend where price cuts only happen towards the late portion of the life cycle.

If at all (shudderes).

It got a small one in Europe a few months ago but people in NA and Japan could very well be waiting till 2023 or even 2024 for the first. Back in 2017-2018 I thought that it'll start really flying off the shelves once it hits sub 200 but it turned out that wasn't needed at all to achieve massive sales.

Norion said:
Kakadu18 said:

If at all (shudderes).

It got a small one in Europe a few months ago but people in NA and Japan could very well be waiting till 2023 or even 2024 for the first. Back in 2017-2018 I thought that it'll start really flying off the shelves once it hits sub 200 but it turned out that wasn't needed at all to achieve massive sales.

That was just a price adjustment because of inflation.

aTokenYeti said:

With how high demand remains for all game consoles, and with how bad the supply situation still is, I was wondering if the global economic situation is going to screw up the cadence of price cuts this time around. Usually close to this time in a new generation, we start hearing rumblings of price cuts, or at least one has already happened. 

But the companies really have no incentive right now or into the near future. And it’s making me wonder: will it be 2023 before we see the first price cut? God forbid 2024? And what do you all think the final price floors will be for the consoles? 

I saw a token 3% discount on the Microsoft store for an Xbox Series S (in the UK)

Kakadu18 said:
Norion said:

I thought it was to help boost sales somewhat in that region due to it having higher growth potential than the other two major ones.

Around the Network

12-18 months after supply consistently meets demand.

Norion said:
Kakadu18 said:

I thought it was to help boost sales somewhat in that region due to it having higher growth potential than the other two major ones.

In a statement to Eurogamer at the time, Nintendo UK said the change was "due to currency exchange rates"... 

This isn't completely unexpected - currency conversions had seen the relative UK and European prices for the original Nintendo Switch among the higher end of those offered globally, so this week's price cut was something of a normalisation.

Nintendo has no plans for Switch price drop outside Europe

Mandalore76 said:
Norion said:

In a statement to Eurogamer at the time, Nintendo UK said the change was "due to currency exchange rates"... 

This isn't completely unexpected - currency conversions had seen the relative UK and European prices for the original Nintendo Switch among the higher end of those offered globally, so this week's price cut was something of a normalisation.

Nintendo has no plans for Switch price drop outside Europe

Ah right yeah the Switch was relatively pricey in Europe before that. The plan could change but with the way things are going with demand still being high, shortages and inflation they may never feel a need to drop it at all elsewhere.

What were the price histories for the PS4 and XB1? Other than that early one for the X1 in 2014 where they dropped the Kinect, I don't remember them being significant or frequent.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

What were the price histories for the PS4 and XB1? Other than that early one for the X1 in 2014 where they dropped the Kinect, I don't remember them being significant or frequent.

PS4 launched at $399 in November 2013.  $50 price cut to $349 in October 2015, and another $50 price cut to $299 in September 2016.  One of the Black Friday sales dropped it to $199, but that was a very limited time holiday sale, and not an official price cut.

XBox One launched at $499 with Kinect in November 2013.  Removed Kinect to drop $100 to $399 in June 2014.  Dropped another $50 to $349 in January 2015.  Not sure when it hit $299.  XBox One's price history is more complicated though, since it had a lot of limited time price cuts.  I'm pretty sure I remember getting mine for $279 not much more than a year out from launch.