By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When do you all think the next major console price cut will be?

With how high demand remains for all game consoles, and with how bad the supply situation still is, I was wondering if the global economic situation is going to screw up the cadence of price cuts this time around. Usually close to this time in a new generation, we start hearing rumblings of price cuts, or at least one has already happened. 

But the companies really have no incentive right now or into the near future. And it’s making me wonder: will it be 2023 before we see the first price cut? God forbid 2024? And what do you all think the final price floors will be for the consoles? 

Around the Network
aTokenYeti said:

With how high demand remains for all game consoles, and with how bad the supply situation still is, I was wondering if the global economic situation is going to screw up the cadence of price cuts this time around. Usually close to this time in a new generation, we start hearing rumblings of price cuts, or at least one has already happened. 

But the companies really have no incentive right now or into the near future. And it’s making me wonder: will it be 2023 before we see the first price cut? God forbid 2024? And what do you all think the final price floors will be for the consoles? 

If I'm a manufacturer and I'm selling everything I can make, no way I'm dropping prices.

Not in my lifetime, thats for sure.

JWeinCom said:
aTokenYeti said:

If I'm a manufacturer and I'm selling everything I can make, no way I'm dropping prices.

Indeed, which is why I think there is a almost 0% chance any of the consoles get a price cut in 2022. Maybe the Series S gets a temporary holiday promotional deal. My guesses: 

Series S: promotional $50 cut Q4 2022, permanent $50 cut Q2 2023

Series X: permanent $50 cut Q4 2023 

PS5 standard: permanent $50 cut Q4 2023 

PS5 digital: permanent $50 cut sometime in 2024

I mean, there's zero reason for them to cut the price any time soon. Wouldn't count on any sort of temporary or permanent price cuts this year or next year.

Around the Network

Never. Chip shortages.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't think we will see a price cut in near future as Inflation is running hot

No idea... I am no economist, but I feel like the rising inflation would also be a factor in no price cuts anytime soon.

1doesnotsimply

2024. Even 2023 will still be on an increase sales curve and possibly lack of inventory.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Whenever they're not able to sell out instantly.