By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass DLC Announced, 48 Course DLC

It should have been obvious already, but this basically confirms no new MK until the Switch successor.

Not only that, but I’d argue it confirms no switch successor before 2025. This expansion is lasting through 2023, which tells me Nintendo is fully committed to Switch support beyond 2022. Since it’s usually a solid year that they stop big support for their systems before a new one, can’t see the successor before 2025.

Switch is all but locked at this point to beat PS2, the question is how high can it go? And how high can MK8D go now? 80m? 100???

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:

It should have been obvious already, but this basically confirms no new MK until the Switch successor.

Not only that, but I’d argue it confirms no switch successor before 2025. This expansion is lasting through 2023, which tells me Nintendo is fully committed to Switch support beyond 2022. Since it’s usually a solid year that they stop big support for their systems before a new one, can’t see the successor before 2025.

Switch is all but locked at this point to beat PS2, the question is how high can it go? And how high can MK8D go now? 80m? 100???

I don't think it's a given that they'll stop support a year before the next system. They have done that in the past, but in the past they generally had new handhelds launching. If Nintendo could have used some of the 3DS resources for Wii games, the last couple of years of Wii could have been pretty respectable.

MK9 a Switch 2 launch game confirmed. Good to see they finally decided to add courses. This will keep MK8D selling a ton through the end of Switch's life the next two or three years.

So did I hear the pricing wrong? I thought it was saying just the initial 8 courses (the first pack) was $25. Which is a huge ripoff but wouldn't surprise me given how overpriced Smash characters were. But I see everyone on here saying it is $25 for all 6 packs (all 48 courses), if that is right that is fantastic and I will actually buy this - or just get it free through Switch Online Expansion Pack if that includes all 6 packs.

And if the Expansion Pack gives you all 48 extra courses that pretty much clears up the Expansion Pack price problems for anyone who plays Mario Kart.

Mar1217 said:
Farsala said:

And why not? A new MK9 would not be able to match the value of MK8, especially in terms of courses.

Meh, it really depends on what they're gonna innovate on, if it's also on a new platform exploiting it's new found graphical power. And I think that people will still feel okay to migrate back to the usual 32 courses in the base game we have.

I mean, most of the 48 courses for the DLC Pack won't have the same level of polish that we can find on other MK8 tracks, especially those coming from MK Tour which I fear will be mostly a straight port.

Actually, I think the studio doing the remastering job isn't even the MK Team from Nintendo, it's probably the guys in charge of MK Tour themselves.

That's funny, because the guys in charge of Mario Kart Tour are Nintendo. The game was developed by Nintendo EPD, the Mario Kart team to be exact, the same ones who made MK8.

This is a really good move. It will get a lot of people to purchase the NSO expansion pack who wouldn't otherwise, get plenty of purchases from people who won't get the expansion pack no matter what, help ensure sales of the base game remain ridiculously high, all while requiring less effort and money than a new game or a bunch of brand new courses since there is no need to create a new layout for any of the 48 courses and the engine is the same as in 2014.

Around the Network

Alright, I'm getting slightly concerned about the visuals. The new tracks look a bit rushed on closer inspection. Makes me wonder if they're all not direct ports from Tour.

Are these just extra tracks or will there be cups associated with the tracks?

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

At this rate Switch 2 will launch with Mario kart 8 Deluxe and DLC bundled.

And why not? A new MK9 would not be able to match the value of MK8, especially in terms of courses.

I would be fine with MK8D & SSBU being the last games for a long time and just keep adding to them.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Chrkeller said:

Are these just extra tracks or will there be cups associated with the tracks?

They will have named cups. https://mariokart8.nintendo.com/booster-course-pass/ First 2 are Golden Dash Cup and Lucky Cat Cup. We saw the other 10 cup icons in the trailer.

Dulfite said:

Free for us NSO+ Subscribers :)

I guess you will lose all 48 additional tracks as soon as you unsubscribe from NSO+, just like the Animal Crossing Happy Home Paradise DLC.

To be honest, this was the last thing I have expected almost 5 years after the launch of MK8D. I thought this DLC would come in 2018 or 2019 at the latest - but now??

MK8D already had the most courses of any Mario Kart - and we get another 48 tracks to double the content? Wow, I bet some tracks won't come in ages if you play online. Don't get me wrong, MK8D is a good game with the best physics to date, but it also lacks in long term motivation to play the game (you don't unlock anything anymore), there are no events, online lag just sucks, you have too many shells with 2 x 3 shells and 12 characters playing and you can't drive with your favourite character and kart because of disadvantage. Mario Kart Tour does all these things better, but the controls are horrible.