By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass DLC Announced, 48 Course DLC

At first I was like DLC really? Then I saw 48 courses for $25 and was like "sign me up."

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

At first I was like DLC really? Then I saw 48 courses for $25 and was like "sign me up."

Though a bit sad, they'll basically trickle it down for almost two years so we'll get 1 wave/3 months gap.

It sure is an investment I want to be a part of though !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

zorg1000 said:

At this rate Switch 2 will launch with Mario kart 8 Deluxe and DLC bundled.

And why not? A new MK9 would not be able to match the value of MK8, especially in terms of courses.

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

And why not? A new MK9 would not be able to match the value of MK8, especially in terms of courses.

Mario Kart Ultimate with all tracks of all previous MK games and with more guest characters like from Zelda, Kirby, DK, Fire Emblem, Earthbound, F-Zero, etc

Basil's YouTube Channel

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

Plus, it may divide the player base on Switch, limiting the number of players available online. I'm concerned Splatoon 3 will do that. Mario Kart 8's engine is so good (pun nintended) that they could have released only 32 tracks of these 48 with a new UI and called it Mario Kart 9. Instead it's 50% more courses for less than half the price. I think this is a better value than a new game, assuming there wasn't some totally innovative new gimmick to justify it being a new game. Again, I'm still waiting to see how Splatoon 3 justifies itself.

Around the Network

That's some ridiculous value.

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:

Meh, it really depends on what they're gonna innovate on, if it's also on a new platform exploiting it's new found graphical power. And I think that people will still feel okay to migrate back to the usual 32 courses in the base game we have.

I mean, most of the 48 courses for the DLC Pack won't have the same level of polish that we can find on other MK8 tracks, especially those coming from MK Tour which I fear will be mostly a straight port.

Actually, I think the studio doing the remastering job isn't even the MK Team from Nintendo, it's probably the guys in charge of MK Tour themselves.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

It should have been obvious already, but this basically confirms no new MK until the Switch successor.

Not only that, but I’d argue it confirms no switch successor before 2025. This expansion is lasting through 2023, which tells me Nintendo is fully committed to Switch support beyond 2022. Since it’s usually a solid year that they stop big support for their systems before a new one, can’t see the successor before 2025.

Switch is all but locked at this point to beat PS2, the question is how high can it go? And how high can MK8D go now? 80m? 100???

HyrulianScrolls said:

It should have been obvious already, but this basically confirms no new MK until the Switch successor.

Not only that, but I’d argue it confirms no switch successor before 2025. This expansion is lasting through 2023, which tells me Nintendo is fully committed to Switch support beyond 2022. Since it’s usually a solid year that they stop big support for their systems before a new one, can’t see the successor before 2025.

Switch is all but locked at this point to beat PS2, the question is how high can it go? And how high can MK8D go now? 80m? 100???

I don't think it's a given that they'll stop support a year before the next system. They have done that in the past, but in the past they generally had new handhelds launching. If Nintendo could have used some of the 3DS resources for Wii games, the last couple of years of Wii could have been pretty respectable.

MK9 a Switch 2 launch game confirmed. Good to see they finally decided to add courses. This will keep MK8D selling a ton through the end of Switch's life the next two or three years.

So did I hear the pricing wrong? I thought it was saying just the initial 8 courses (the first pack) was $25. Which is a huge ripoff but wouldn't surprise me given how overpriced Smash characters were. But I see everyone on here saying it is $25 for all 6 packs (all 48 courses), if that is right that is fantastic and I will actually buy this - or just get it free through Switch Online Expansion Pack if that includes all 6 packs.

And if the Expansion Pack gives you all 48 extra courses that pretty much clears up the Expansion Pack price problems for anyone who plays Mario Kart.