By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass DLC Announced, 48 Course DLC

Mar1217 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

MK Tour has versions of Rainbow Road 3DS, Waluigi pinball DS, Airship fortress DS and Maple Treeway so my favorites are in then.

Rainbow Road 3DS you say ?! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U_nWa5SAoE

Around the Network

I'm gonna happily but this but it baffles me. They could have made a full blown sequel and got $60 from old AND new users. Instead, they're settling for $25 from old users and a percentage of new customers--and potentially nothing from some Switch Online customers.

d21lewis said:

I'm gonna happily but this but it baffles me. They could have made a full blown sequel and got $60 from old AND new users. Instead, they're settling for $25 from old users and a percentage of new customers--and potentially nothing from some Switch Online customers.

Their expenses are very low with this though. They aren't making any new tracks, only remastering older ones.

Watching this carefully, the quality of assets and textures looks inferior compared to standard MK8 Deluxe. Let's wait for actual footage once the DLC is released to see if the tracks meet the expected quality of a MK8 track 

I don't get the confusion over the remastered courses quality. This is extremely obvious. They've been working on Mariokart 9 for a while now, and didn't anticipate Switch 1 to sell as well as it has. They are delaying the launch of Switch 2 now, and trying to get MK9 out as a launch title, so the amount of internal people they have to throw at their current MK game is very minimal, but they can't ignore it as it is a gold mine and will boost NSO+ subscribers a lot, so they put a small team on 8D and maybe some external people and they just do the easy work of remastering courses over a slow period.

They just want to make money while the main teams works on 9. Simple as that. There should have been no expectation that they'd remake maps, they said remastered in the trailer. It just means 9 will be out sooner so we should all be happy about that move on. If they remade these maps 9 would come out even later in Switch 2's life.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Well, I'll give them this. It might make the NSO Expansion Pass worth getting now.

Meh... if the expansion pass subscription runs out, so do the MK8 DLCs.

Paying $20 - $25 once for an unlimited license of the MK8 DLCs is the better deal.

I've been thinking about the fact that Nintendo is releasing all of these old tracks as DLC. Not one alternate IP universe or theme. No new characters that we can see. Which makes me think something pretty big is being planned for the next Mario Kart since they could just as well have used these throwbacks in the next title.

The next Mario Kart will be the Smash Bros of the Switch 2 with characters being pulled from internal and external IPs, maps will be based on various IPs, again both internal and external. We'll start with a pretty robust lineup of Nintendo characters and tracks, and shortly thereafter the first DLC pack will be announced with the first crossover character and track.

Nintendo slightly dipped their toes in the water this gen with this concept, and it seemed to pay off very well. The fact they're not going right back to that suggests to me they're holding back their cards for now. Considering that Smash Ultimate is a wrap and they've pretty much mined all they can get from crossovers for that series, this seems like a no-brainer and will certainly make a lot of folks happy. I can't wait to race on Brinstar or Tallon. Or maybe Midgar before it was destroyed.

CaptainExplosion said:
Conina said:

Paying $20 - $25 once for an unlimited license of the MK8 DLCs is the better deal.

I thought that if you got the courses through the Expansion Pass you got them forever.

You didn't really think that, did you? It's a subscription service, like any streaming service or Game Pass you don't get to keep stuff. Lol. I've seen so many people being confused about this. Like how? Why would you get to keep that?

CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

You didn't really think that, did you? It's a subscription service, like any streaming service or Game Pass you don't get to keep stuff. Lol. I've seen so many people being confused about this. Like how? Why would you get to keep that?

So they're not permanently uploaded into my game after they arrive via the service?

You just loose access. I have the N64 app downloaded, but I don't have access. Idk how it's gonna work in online.

Conina said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well, I'll give them this. It might make the NSO Expansion Pass worth getting now.

I think the big selling point is this it seems like every few months a new expansion will be added to the service.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.