By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass DLC Announced, 48 Course DLC

Kakadu18 said:
Mar1217 said:

Meh, it really depends on what they're gonna innovate on, if it's also on a new platform exploiting it's new found graphical power. And I think that people will still feel okay to migrate back to the usual 32 courses in the base game we have.

I mean, most of the 48 courses for the DLC Pack won't have the same level of polish that we can find on other MK8 tracks, especially those coming from MK Tour which I fear will be mostly a straight port.

Actually, I think the studio doing the remastering job isn't even the MK Team from Nintendo, it's probably the guys in charge of MK Tour themselves.

That's funny, because the guys in charge of Mario Kart Tour are Nintendo. The game was developed by Nintendo EPD, the Mario Kart team to be exact, the same ones who made MK8.

Yet it is marked that DeNA (Nintendo principal mobile partner) and PLUS are the two studios working on the game. Nintendo MK Team definitely has some hands in the project, but not to the extent that you think.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

cool move Nintendo, NSO+ is almost worth it now

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

cool move Nintendo, NSO+ is almost worth it now

Almost! Just need a few more months of added N64 games (and the ability to find a N64 controller) fixes to the N64 emulation, and I'll jump in by the time Wave 2 of the dlc courses releases! MK8D clearly isn't going anywhere :)

Slownenberg said:

MK9 a Switch 2 launch game confirmed. Good to see they finally decided to add courses. This will keep MK8D selling a ton through the end of Switch's life the next two or three years.

So did I hear the pricing wrong? I thought it was saying just the initial 8 courses (the first pack) was $25. Which is a huge ripoff but wouldn't surprise me given how overpriced Smash characters were. But I see everyone on here saying it is $25 for all 6 packs (all 48 courses), if that is right that is fantastic and I will actually buy this - or just get it free through Switch Online Expansion Pack if that includes all 6 packs.

And if the Expansion Pack gives you all 48 extra courses that pretty much clears up the Expansion Pack price problems for anyone who plays Mario Kart.

It is $25 for the Booster Course Pas, so all waves. I saw a lot of people in streams misreading the pricing, thinking it would be a total of $150. This is insane value though, even better than the first DLC Mario Kart 8 got when it was on the Wii U. They are doubling the amount of courses for less than half the price of a new game. By 2023, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will have more courses than Smash Bros. Ultimate has characters.

This is probably the best move they could have done. By stretching it out over a 2 year period, they are effectively shutting down any notion of Mario Kart 9 coming to Switch and also pointing to a late 2024 or early 2025 release for their new console, at the earliest. It also gives me hope that they are going to shake things up for the next release. By adding 48 remasters, they are basically making this a Mario Kart Ultimate. I enjoy the games a lot, but I'd like to see it evolve more. Some sort of adventure mode, vehicles with different physics, boss races, revamped power-up system, dynamic courses, challenges, etc.

I'm also wondering what sort of other DLC they will be tying in to the Expansion Pass, because like this it'll grow to be a nice value. 

I like Bacon said:
Chrkeller said:

Are these just extra tracks or will there be cups associated with the tracks?

They will have named cups. https://mariokart8.nintendo.com/booster-course-pass/ First 2 are Golden Dash Cup and Lucky Cat Cup. We saw the other 10 cup icons in the trailer.

Nice.  Thanks my friend.  Definitely getting.  

Around the Network

48 new tracks for 25 dolars is a sweet deal. However, I think like some of you. I'm afraid the visual remastering is not up to the Mario Kart 8 quality standards. Choco Mountain and Coconut Mall don't look much better than their original versions...

Vodacixi said:

48 new tracks for 25 dolars is a sweet deal. However, I think like some of you. I'm afraid the visual remastering is not up to the Mario Kart 8 quality standards. Choco Mountain and Coconut Mall don't look much better than their original versions...

When you think about it, the usual classic cups are more so remade tracks from past games.

This one might be straight up go with a more simple remastering approach. Still, even some of the tracks in MK Tour look or in the trailer looked pretty good so I'm not afraid of a butt-ugly job done there. Simply I'll temper my expectations on the graphical front.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
Vodacixi said:

When you think about it, the usual classic cups are more so remade tracks from past games.

This one might be straight up go with a more simple remastering approach. Still, even some of the tracks in MK Tour look or in the trailer looked pretty good so I'm not afraid of a butt-ugly job done there. Simply I'll temper my expectations on the graphical front.

Yeah... but Mario Kart 8 elevated the retro tracks visual quality up to 11.

Rainbow Road 64:

Moo Moo Meadows (Wii)

I don't see an upgrade as big as what we got with the base game. Maybe it's because we didn't get to see much of these new remastered tracks. We'll see...

I've seen a lot of complaints online that the remastered courses shown off so far look too much like Mario Kart Tour.

Vodacixi said:

Yeah, this seems more like they're just moving Tour levels to 8 Deluxe, utilizing MK8's rendering engine and selling it as DLC. For the price it's not bad even considering the quality isn't as high as the base game but like I've said I think this is just a move to hold us over until Mario Kart 9. It'll probably be the next Nintendo controversy when it launches so get ready for that.