By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass DLC Announced, 48 Course DLC

Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well what's the point when the Mario Kart DLC is temporary when done through the service? -_-

The main selling point isn't this DLC, it's just a bonus to make the package sweeter.

Exactly! It's meant to be like a cherry on top to increase your perceived value of the service. I wouldn't be surprised if games like Splatoon 3 or Breath of the Wild 2 get a season pass or story expansions that'll be added to the Expansion Pack. Similar to the Octo Expansion in Splatoon 2.

The more paid DLC gets added along with N64 and Genesis games, the more people will go "oooooh that does make the overall package seem more appealing" which is most likely why Nintendo added such an insane cost when the pricing got announced. Hopefully there's room for one more console in there! I doubt it'll be the GameCube though. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

The main selling point isn't this DLC, it's just a bonus to make the package sweeter.

But I can't keep the DLC. DLC is supposed to be permanent after you pay for it. -_-

That's another thing though. DLC is entirely optional and Nintendo knows that. You don't have to get it in the same way you don't have to get the Expansion Pack. Therefore, put them together into one service. It's just a perceptive spin Nintendo is putting on it.

CaptainExplosion said:
gtotheunit91 said:

That's another thing though. DLC is entirely optional and Nintendo knows that. You don't have to get it in the same way you don't have to get the Expansion Pack. Therefore, put them together into one service. It's just a perceptive spin Nintendo is putting on it.

So will I be able to keep the DLC without the expansion pass?

You can buy it. What are these questions lol?

CaptainExplosion said:
gtotheunit91 said:

So will I be able to keep the DLC without the expansion pass?

No lol you'll have to stay subscribed if you want to keep the DLC or just pay for it. I'm saying the way Nintendo is spinning the Expansion Pack is by adding all these optional things like older games and paid DLC, and that's how they're hoping they'll keep you subscribed.

It's not like Game Pass where you're getting brand new games on day 1. So Nintendo is trying to make the overall package as appealing as possible to where it makes the $50/year worth it to you. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Exactly! It's meant to be like a cherry on top to increase your perceived value of the service. I wouldn't be surprised if games like Splatoon 3 or Breath of the Wild 2 get a season pass or story expansions that'll be added to the Expansion Pack. Similar to the Octo Expansion in Splatoon 2.

The more paid DLC gets added along with N64 and Genesis games, the more people will go "oooooh that does make the overall package seem more appealing" which is most likely why Nintendo added such an insane cost when the pricing got announced. Hopefully there's room for one more console in there! I doubt it'll be the GameCube though. 

They could add another Sega console and maybe GB/C to the base service and GBA to the expansion pack.

Thus far the DLC that have been added are of the type that offers basically infinite replayability and isn't a one and done type thing like the Octo Expansion. If BotW2 gets DLC like BotW did I don't see them adding it to the sevice unless you can actually keep the items you found, because they can't just randomly remove items from your savefile after the sub runs out. Multiplayer DLC and DLC that is completely separate from the main game makes the most sense.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

They could add another Sega console and maybe GB/C to the base service and GBA to the expansion pack.

Thus far the DLC that have been added are of the type that offers basically infinite replayability and isn't a one and done type thing like the Octo Expansion. If BotW2 gets DLC like BotW did I don't see them adding it to the sevice unless you can actually keep the items you found, because they can't just randomly remove items from your savefile after the sub runs out. Multiplayer DLC and DLC that is completely separate from the main game makes the most sense.

Good point! Nintendo's gonna bring back map packs for Splatoon 3 xD

CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

You can buy it. What are these questions lol?

Sorry. What I should be asking is if I get it through the expansion pass can I keep the DLC?

Nintendo will have to elaborate further, but I suspect no in the case of the Booster Course Pass.

With the Animal Crossing paid DLC, Nintendo let you keep items you earned if you unsubscribed, but not to the content itself.

gtotheunit91 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Sorry. What I should be asking is if I get it through the expansion pass can I keep the DLC?

Nintendo will have to elaborate further, but I suspect no in the case of the Booster Course Pass.

With the Animal Crossing paid DLC, Nintendo let you keep items you earned if you unsubscribed, but not to the content itself.

Well, that's at least better than "Your savegame is expecting the DLC, without the DLC you'll have to start a new game. Do you want to resubscribe, buy the DLC or start from scratch?"

Conina said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Well, that's at least better than "Your savegame is expecting the DLC, without the DLC you'll have to start a new game. Do you want to resubscribe, buy the DLC or start from scratch?"

For sure! This was the exact quote:

A Nintendo spokesperson stated that players would still be able to access the items and design techniques gained from the Happy Home Paradise DLC, but they would be unable to access the archipelago and create new vacation homes. The only ways players can regain access to the archipelago would be to purchase the DLC separately from the NSO Expansion Pack or renew their membership.

The archipelago is a section of the game added through the DLC. So it's not part of the main game in any way.

CaptainExplosion said:
gtotheunit91 said:

You mean getting it through the service is basically a sham?

In your case, probably.

But there's other cases where say someone's on a family plan where all 8 people play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and instead of paying $200 for just the Booster Course Pass for all 8 people, everyone gets access to it for $80. Which would make sense from a financial standpoint.