By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

Spindel said:

Do you guys remember people arguing that Nintendo should do a Sega and go 3rd party software dev route?

I do, but those people are awfully quiet now :)

For now. Nintendo has a tendency to bomb a gen after a success. GameCube bombed compared to N64, Wii U bombed compared to Wii. Historically Switch 2 is doomed, but Switch 3 will be a global hit that crushes PS7 and Xbox Series XXX, no doubt.

Around the Network

I am sorry (not sorry) for you guys fans of Skyward Sword, but the underwhelming sales for this game is a beautiful thing to watch. Lol. It’s the market sending a clear signal to Nintendo, saying we do not want these linear story driven PuZZelda anymore. Lovely.

Dulfite said:
Spindel said:

Do you guys remember people arguing that Nintendo should do a Sega and go 3rd party software dev route?

For now. Nintendo has a tendency to bomb a gen after a success. GameCube bombed compared to N64, Wii U bombed compared to Wii. Historically Switch 2 is doomed, but Switch 3 will be a global hit that crushes PS7 and Xbox Series XXX, no doubt.

Nonsenscial. It´s handheld blindness. Half of the Nintendo market aways win.

So your logic is wrong.

Valdney said:

I am sorry (not sorry) for you guys fans of Skyward Sword, but the underwhelming sales for this game is a beautiful thing to watch. Lol. It’s the market sending a clear signal to Nintendo, saying we do not want these linear story driven PuZZelda anymore. Lovely.

Agreed

Spindel said:

Do I! I still remember all those guys who doggedly insisted that the switch would sell less then the wiiu or best wouldnt reach 30mil

Around the Network

Wow. Software incredible.
And hardware 10+ million as we've come to expect from Switch holiday quarters.

Switch hardware did well and looks undertracked on here (comparing to PS5, PS5 current sales on the front page are 1.23m higher than end of '21 official numbers, while Switch sales on front page are actually 0.34 UNDER end of '21 official numbers, so PS5 may or may not be overtracked but Switch is definitely undertracked).

MK8D just had a completely insane quarter. Again reiterating the point for the millionth time that MK9 will be a Switch 2 launch title. MK8D looks likely to hit 60 million when it's all over, and perhaps 70 million including the Wii U MK8.

Pokemon BD/SP just put up an insane first quarter and is looking to blow by all Pokemon games under 20 million, so we should surely expect Legends Arceus to do the same. Sw/Sh now second best selling pokemon ever and even Let's Go is starting to get close to that 15-17 million range that houses a bunch of previous Pokemon games.

Almost all Switch's main sellers did amazing. The Mario Party Superstars is a bit under what I expected though. Looks like it will be a solid 10+ million seller but perhaps not 15 million. Meanwhile the first Super Mario Party is closing in on eventually topping 20 million.

And Metroid Dread....wow! 100k away from Prime's record after its first quarter. I'm guessing sales have dropped off a ton by now but Dread will set a new Metroid sales record far above the rest. Should at very least hit 4 million. Extremely well deserved and gives me hopes that MP4 will be a 5+ million seller.

Smash, Zelda, Sw/Sh, and Mario Odyssey are all moving nicely up through the 20 millions. Smash and Zelda with identical legs and both careening towards eclipsing 30 million (Smash this year, Zelda probably first quarter of next year).

Ring Fit continuing its gradual long trek towards 20 million. I do think it'll hit this by the end, achieving Wii Fit level numbers globally. Something I'm sure nobody thought was possible when it launched.

I think Z:SS leveling off even below the Z:LA remake numbers shows that the time for old school 3D Zelda is dead. Although that was a nice revivial for SS and the Switch sales have already nearly surpassed the original Wii game's sales.
Non-open world Zelda thoughts for the future: hopefully we still get a TP/WW HD double pack as both of those games are more desired than SS so that'd be an easy 5+ million selling port for Nintendo. But even though linear 3D Zelda is dead now hopefully there is still a future for new top-down 2D Zeldas (one per gen would be nice) since the LA remake showed better performance than the SS remaster.

Finally there's the Mario ports. 3D World selling very well and looking to pass 10 million soon, it should be the 15th first party Switch game to do that. And NSMBUD continues to put up solid numbers despite being a port of an okay game that feels stale (opinion here) and was released as an afterthought with little fanfare. Obviously an actual new 2D Mario is gonna hit the Switch at some point, I'm assuming 2023 as '24 would be very late in Switch's life cycle and wouldn't allow it to have legs, and if that game is a fresh series that brings some fresh gameplay/art style to 2D Mario that's another 20+ million seller guaranteed. A 2D Mario seems to be the one colossal Switch game we still haven't even heard about yet. Hopefully we get an announcement for it this year.

Insane quarter for Nintendo. MK8 is a beast.

Dulfite said:

Splatoon 2 was the first Splatoon game many played as a lot didn't own Wii U's. Those of us (myself included) that owned Splatoon 1 didn't have as much incentive to get 2 because it was basically just multiplayer again and not much different from 1.

3 looks to have a great story mode from the trailers, so it will appeal to anyone who's ever played Splatoon and more. I had no interest in 2 but am very interested in 3 because of the single player story. Also, I suspect Splatoon 3 will have a Switch 2 port at some point which will drive sales up.

Splatoon 2 is actually a lot better than the first one on Wii U. You have a lot more weapons, clothing, maps and game modes as well as the Octo Expansion with story for single players. The co-op game mode Salmon Run alone should justify a buy, if you own Splatoon 1. The content is absolutely stunning. I think that the launch content is only 30 % of the game right now. They added so much stuff for free. Though, it's primery an online game and not a single player offline game. But maps, modes and weapons are so different to Splatoon 1 that it's really worth checking it out even if you own the predecessor.

Dulfite said:
Spindel said:

Handheld sales will prevent Switch from bombing, it will prevent for any kind of flop really. Switch 2 will sell at least 50 million copies not matter of what happens. In Japan there is only Nintendo, PCs are not popular, PS5 is flopping, Xbox in non factor, it will be either Switch or cellphones. This country alone will brings 20 million-ish sales for Switch 2

siebensus4 said:
Dulfite said:

Splatoon 2 was the first Splatoon game many played as a lot didn't own Wii U's. Those of us (myself included) that owned Splatoon 1 didn't have as much incentive to get 2 because it was basically just multiplayer again and not much different from 1.

3 looks to have a great story mode from the trailers, so it will appeal to anyone who's ever played Splatoon and more. I had no interest in 2 but am very interested in 3 because of the single player story. Also, I suspect Splatoon 3 will have a Switch 2 port at some point which will drive sales up.

Splatoon 2 is actually a lot better than the first one on Wii U. You have a lot more weapons, clothing, maps and game modes as well as the Octo Expansion with story for single players. The co-op game mode Salmon Run alone should justify a buy, if you own Splatoon 1. The content is absolutely stunning. I think that the launch content is only 30 % of the game right now. They added so much stuff for free. Though, it's primery an online game and not a single player offline game. But maps, modes and weapons are so different to Splatoon 1 that it's really worth checking it out even if you own the predecessor.

None of those additions would get me or others like me to buy a mostly only multiplayer game again so shortly after the first one. This isn't the call of duty crowd. New maps, weapons mean absolutely nothing to me. New modes do mean something, but not enough to buy it.

The expansion was the most interesting part for 2 but I didn't want to have to buy both. A full game should have a fully built in story mode, anything else and devs are just being cheap. Same goes for Overwatch, Apex Legends, PUBG. Bunch of cheap games with no story mode. Overwatch 2 will have a story mode I believe and I'm highly interested because of that, same with Splatoon 3.

Make a full game or go home if you want gamers like me and not just the multiplayer-only crowd. If they just stick with a multiplayer only focus then there are going to be people each game that don't buy the next one. Not everyone cares about shiny new guns or maps. Just like not everyone cares about single player story modes. But if they want full potential sales they need both.