By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

The Switch now has two games that have sold better than Mario Kart Wii.  And of course, we expect both of these games to keep selling.  Who knows how high they can go?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 43.35m
Animal Crossing: 37.62m
Mario Kart Wii: 37.38m

Darwinianevolution said:

Damn. Those numbers are nuts. By the end of the Switch's lifespan the top ten software is going to be filled with +20m sellers.

Also, Sword and Shield are now the second best selling Pokemon games ever. So much for the Dexit boycott...

EDIT: I just looked at the comments section of this video.  The most upvoted comment by far is about Pokemon Sw/Sh.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 03 February 2022

Around the Network

Nintendo FY2021 Q4 results:
> 10.67M HW (2.29M Japan + 3.81M Americas + 3.38M Europe + 1.19M Other)
> 85.20M SW (14.85M Japan + 39.50 Americas + 25.23M Europe + 5.62M Other)

Switch just had a massive quarter in Europe. I believe its up compared to the same quarter last year.
Bodes well for late legs and also surpassing Wii and PS3 there.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Ashadelo said:

Anyone still believe Mario Kart 9 is coming to the Switch?

With the numbers Mario Kart 8 pulls, there really isn't a point in MK9 until Switch 2.

On a similar note. With the numbers the NSW pulls, there isn't much point in price cutting any time soon.

Farsala said:

On a similar note. With the numbers the NSW pulls, there isn't much point in price cutting any time soon.

In theory, yes. But actually, in Europe, the price is pretty low (269€ for the base model, including taxes, and 310€ for the OLED model), so that's already a price cut.

Man BoTW is super impressive, and Pokemon BD/SP with some mammoth numbers! Did it outperform S/Sh same time frame? Just crazy numbers all around. Switch is now a lock in for 3rd best selling console of all time right after it barely outsold the Dreamcast. Incredible

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Since Splatoon 2 dropped out of the top 10 we will now have to wait for the next CESA Games white paper to get updates from now on. Splatoon 3 won't ever get into the top 10 even if it outsells Splatoon 2.

Splatoon 2 was the first Splatoon game many played as a lot didn't own Wii U's. Those of us (myself included) that owned Splatoon 1 didn't have as much incentive to get 2 because it was basically just multiplayer again and not much different from 1.

3 looks to have a great story mode from the trailers, so it will appeal to anyone who's ever played Splatoon and more. I had no interest in 2 but am very interested in 3 because of the single player story. Also, I suspect Splatoon 3 will have a Switch 2 port at some point which will drive sales up.

Sorry, I don't remember how these quarterly sales updates work.. A game has to sell a certain amount within the quarter to make the list? And Splatoon 2 didn't pass that threshold this time, or why isn't it on the list?

dan_banan said:

Sorry, I don't remember how these quarterly sales updates work.. A game has to sell a certain amount within the quarter to make the list? And Splatoon 2 didn't pass that threshold this time, or why isn't it on the list?

A game has to either be in the top 10 or sell over 1 million units in the current fiscal year I believe

dan_banan said:

No specific rules, but an old game (like Splatoon 2) which don't have that big bump in sales, and isn't in the top 10 won't have its sale figures updated. Such as ARMS, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or Link's Awakeing remake.

Do you guys remember people arguing that Nintendo should do a Sega and go 3rd party software dev route?

I do, but those people are awfully quiet now :)