By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

Ngl I was expecting slightly less Switch's sold for this quarter since the NPD leaks were showing that the sell through was noticeably lower compared to 2020 and even 2019 as a result of shorages. However, the Switch still sold an impressive 10.7M this quarter and now is at nearly 104M.
It should sell around 23M this FY which is still highly impressive for a console on its 5th year dealing with shortages still with no real price cut. At the pace its going the Switch should sell in the 140 Millions before all said and done and has the legit potential of becoming the greatest selling console of all time. What a major bounce back from the wii u era where people thought Nintendo's days were numbered.

Also Mario Kart 8 in total when you combine Wii U sales is at nearly 52 Million sold which is insane, and its easily in the top 10 greatest selling games ever and is the greatest selling mario game ever, and its well deserving tbh as its an amazing game.

Metroid Dread did pretty much exactly what I expected which im still happy to see as its on 80,000 units away from becoming the greatest selling Metroid game of all time over Prime 1 which will certainly happen by this quarter. This blows the ~500k units Samus Returns did on the 3DS with a 75M install base so its good to see a 2D Metroid bound to sell 3-5M in its lifetime for a franchise that's always been relatively niche.

Around the Network

Most games surpassed my expectations, only Skyward Sword HD disappointed me. With 250k it shipped less in the quarter than Mario Golf and Miitopia. I originally hoped for it to double the sales of the original, now it's not going to happen.

On a brighter note both Pokémon Let's Go and BD/SP are likely going to outsell OR/AS this quarter.

The Switch hardware didn't just not disappoint, it exceeded expectations, whereas the PS5 was overtracked it seems the Switch might have been undertracked.
Incredible.

I predicted 100mil software, obviously that didn't happen, with digital only software it probably did though. Still, with 85mil this was the biggest quarter in software for the Switch.

Also happy to see updates to WarioWare and Game Builder Garage. WarioWare: Get It Together! is now the third best selling WarioWare game, outselling the first one on the GBA, WarioWare Inc.: Mega Microgame$! at 1.1mil and only behind WarioWare: Touched! on the DS at 2.47mil and WarioWare: Smooth Moves on the Wii at 2.35mil.
It's also the fourth WarioWare to top 1mil.

So what I get from comparing curl-6 numbers to the last thread. Since last sales update the games have shipped an additional:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: +4.61m
Animal Crossing New Horizon: +2.77m
Super Smash Bros Ultimate: +1.69m
The Legend of Zelda BOTW: +1.67m
Pokémon Sw/Sh: +1.26m
Mario Odyssey: +1.07m
Super Mario Party: +0.91m
Pokémon Let's Go: +0.5m
Pokémon BD/SP: +13.97m (New)
Ring Fit Adventure: +1.32m

Outside of the top 10 we have:
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: +1.24m
Luigi's Mansion 3: +1.45m (3 quarters since the last update)
3D World + Bowsers Fury: +1.4m
Mario Party Superstars: +5.43m (New)
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD: +0.25m
Metroid Dread: +2.74m (New)
New Pokémon Snap: +0.17m
Mario Golf: Super Rush: +0.32m
Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain: +1.28m (New)
WarioWare: Get It Together!: +1.24m (Since release September 2021)
Game Builder Garage: +1.01m (Since release June 2021)

Quite a lot of high numbers. Would have loved to see Skyward Sword HD get over 4 million since it's my favorite game but it has surpassed the originals sales on the Wii so it's not bad by any means.

Since Splatoon 2 dropped out of the top 10 we will now have to wait for the next CESA Games white paper to get updates from now on. Splatoon 3 won't ever get into the top 10 even if it outsells Splatoon 2.

I predict that the Switch will outsell the Wii's software total of 921.85mil this year.

Around the Network

Switch is such a monster of a system. They're not even done yet. Insane

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kakadu18 said:

Since Splatoon 2 dropped out of the top 10 we will now have to wait for the next CESA Games white paper to get updates from now on. Splatoon 3 won't ever get into the top 10 even if it outsells Splatoon 2.

I checked RolStoppables spreadsheet and it should have sold 0.47m in the first two quarters. Would it not make it back on the list nest time  if it sold over 0.53m oct-mar taking it over the 1m for a year? But even if it would make it back I guess that would be the last time.

Tried looking into what CESA is and it seems like a japanese games promotion body. Do they usually give numbers for games?

Some brief thoughts over the updated numbers.

- Wario Ware manages to break the 1m barrier after a very slow start.

- RFA is now the highest selling JRPG that isn't called Pokemon.

- SW/SH becomes the second highest selling Pokemon game.

- BOTW Well it just keeps going.

- Smash is very looking like it will reach the 30m mark setting a record for the genre that is ott. 

I'm so happy about Metroid Dread. I don't know much about how sales tend to evolve, so I ask you guys: is there any chance for it to reach 5m at some point?

wow about diamond / pearl... just so impressive i dont know how they manage sold that amount of games in one quarter after all the bad reviews, how much did sword/shield sell first quarter? i guess something similar...