By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

Very nice numbers to the extent hardware will be adjusted up a bit which I didn't see coming. Great to see Dread doing really well and I wonder if Ultimate will start slowing down soon now that it's finished.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

Ngl I was expecting slightly less Switch's sold for this quarter since the NPD leaks were showing that the sell through was noticeably lower compared to 2020 and even 2019 as a result of shorages. However, the Switch still sold an impressive 10.7M this quarter and now is at nearly 104M.
It should sell around 23M this FY which is still highly impressive for a console on its 5th year dealing with shortages still with no real price cut. At the pace its going the Switch should sell in the 140 Millions before all said and done and has the legit potential of becoming the greatest selling console of all time. What a major bounce back from the wii u era where people thought Nintendo's days were numbered.

Also Mario Kart 8 in total when you combine Wii U sales is at nearly 52 Million sold which is insane, and its easily in the top 10 greatest selling games ever and is the greatest selling mario game ever, and its well deserving tbh as its an amazing game.

Metroid Dread did pretty much exactly what I expected which im still happy to see as its on 80,000 units away from becoming the greatest selling Metroid game of all time over Prime 1 which will certainly happen by this quarter. This blows the ~500k units Samus Returns did on the 3DS with a 75M install base so its good to see a 2D Metroid bound to sell 3-5M in its lifetime for a franchise that's always been relatively niche.

Europe came through, Switch sold as much in Europe as the America's in Q3 with both at 3.8m each. This is unusual because the America's region usually sells 50% more hardware every quarter than Europe. If they could have overcome the shortages in the America's Nintendo could have shipped at least an extra million in Q3.

EDIT: Switch Actually sold 3.4m in Europe for Q3, my mistake.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 04 February 2022

The Nintendo Switch Crossed 100 million units in it's 20th Quarter. The Nintendo DS took 18, PS4 23  and the Nintendo Wii took 27.

This makes the Nintendo Switch the second fastest selling console to reach the 100 million milestone.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 24 February 2022

ShadowLink93 said:

Europe came through, Switch sold as much in Europe as the America's in Q3 with both at 3.8m each. This is unusual because the America's region usually sells 50% more hardware every quarter than Europe. If they could have overcome the shortages in the America's Nintendo could have shipped at least an extra million in Q3.

NS' numbers in NA are reaching the higher point for reference under VGC's tracking it's about to pass the PS4 in NA at which point only seven other platforms would have sold more in NA and passing the PS4 would place it on the verge of passing two others as apart from the DS and PS2 the numbers are reasonably close. In comparison in the EU the may only be seven platforms that have sold more than it in the region but the gap is a lot more significant between platforms in comparison when looking at the numbers so the sales potential in EU is still higher and that may be why EU matched NA sales as some of that potential may have been tapped into.

Another clear signal from the market is that we will not settle for a Mario editor as a substitute for 2d Mario. Mario Maker 2 is dead while NSMBU Deluxe, despite its flaws, is rising. Bravo!

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

The Wind Waker was released on GameCube and the Wii U - two systems with install bases of rougly 20 % and 15  % of where the Switch is currently sitting at.

It can't be denied that Nintendo seem to have struck gold with the open-world formula of BotW and brought tons of new players to the series, but if they had followed it up with another critically acclaimed "linear story Zelda" it could still have done incredible numbers on the Switch. Personally I hope the series will draw elements from both types going forward.

Disagree tbh the old formula was what held the series back no matter how critically acclaimed any game was it would never have reached BOTW's sales for several key reasons. The old formula was effectively a very refined template for dungeon crawling this limited who could enjoy the games as well as lock the potential of any title using the formula to the quality of the dungeons the result was everything else in the game not only played second fiddle to dungeons but were dictated by them this could be seen in how the land of Hyrule was a glorified hub rather than a world you were meant to get some attachment to.

A key point is BOTW's Hyrule gets some criticism of not much going on at times but a lot of this is negated by the sandbox mechanics allowing a player to approach the same situation in many different ways, in the other games you can't do this because mechanics were dictated by the dungeons and puzzle based nature meaning you had to adhere to the dungeon crawling template to get through the games and this is where the games would struggle to bring in and appeal to new players.

Folks, in the US the Switch did 1M in March 2020 and again in March 2021, but only pushed 1.1M in Nov 21 and 1.3M in Dec 21 with a Pokemon launch and a new revision which was highly supply constrained.

OLED shipments to the Americas (US/CA/MX and all of SA) were 1.41M. Oct 2021 US only OLED sell-through was 314K. There was incredibly weak supply of OLEDs to meet BF/Christmas demand in the Americas after launch. It's not a saturation issue lol.

ShadowLink93 said:

The Nintendo Switch Crossed 100 million units in it's 20th Quarter. The Nintendo DS took 18, PS4 23  and the Nintendo Wii took 27.

This makes the Nintendo Switch the second fastest selling console to reach the 100 million milestone.

The Switch is just such a beast :loki:

Pokemon BD/SP already about to surpass Let's Go P/E, almost 14M in a month and a few days is just insane.

Great numbers for Metroid :clap3:

Regional Hardware shipments (HH vs Hybrid) by quarter with YoY change from FY20-21 > FY21-22, with software included as well.  Europe + Other combined to include older years.

Here's just the last 3 FYs so that Eur/Other are split up.

Hybrids in Americas/Europe close to flat YoY thus far, most of the dip has come from Japan.  Handheld (Lite) OTOH is down nearly 2/3.

I've got the quarterly data in this format as well for anyone that is curious.

Apkopf said:
Kakadu18 said:

Since Splatoon 2 dropped out of the top 10 we will now have to wait for the next CESA Games white paper to get updates from now on. Splatoon 3 won't ever get into the top 10 even if it outsells Splatoon 2.

I checked RolStoppables spreadsheet and it should have sold 0.47m in the first two quarters. Would it not make it back on the list nest time  if it sold over 0.53m oct-mar taking it over the 1m for a year? But even if it would make it back I guess that would be the last time.

Tried looking into what CESA is and it seems like a japanese games promotion body. Do they usually give numbers for games?

The CESA games white paper is where we get updates from after Nintendo stop doing so themselves. I think Rol doesn't include these updates in his spreadsheat. On Wikipedia in articles about the best selling games on various Nintendo consoles you can find this as a source for many games sales numbers. Nintendo and other publishers provide their numbers to CESA. The next one is coming this spring, delayed from last year and gives updates up until the end of 2020.