By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

Switch has sold more hardware than the Wii U sold software

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Damn... That's just sad...

curl-6 said:

Thanks for pointing that, wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Now let me go laugh until I can't breathe.

"Pokémon BD/SP: 13.97M"

I'm devastated.

Valdney said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's a clear message SS HD remaster is not worth it, only that. Ocarina of time sold over 6 million in 3DS a system with a significant smaller userbase than Switch. 

There is market for story driven Zelda, as long the game is good and/or there is significant work made for the game to improve it (like they did with Wind Waker). Skyward Sword is a half assed port from a game that isn't exactly well liked and got average reviews for a Zelda game, only 82 on Opencritic in a franchise where almost all home console titles got a 90+

If Wind waker is a good example of a good story driven Zelda game in good demand, then why are  sales  so pathetic? Why  does the HD version with all the improvements have even more pathetic sales??  The data is crystal clear, Puzzelda doesn’t hold a candle  to open world Zelda. And most importantly: open world Zelda lights the world on fire and moves hardware, lots of it. 

OoT is a different beast.  OoT is a great game indeed, and it still carries a lot of what makes the older titles great. 

It was released on both Game Cube and Wii U, consoles with userbase 4 to 8 times smaller than Switch and you ask me why it had "pathetic" sales? For the record, Wind Waker was the 4th best selling Game Cube game (over 4.4 million copies), and the 9th best selling Wii U game (over 2.3 million copies)

The original Legend of Zelda sold about 6 million copies, and the next one 4 million copies in a system with much bigger userbases than both GC or Wii u. Should I assume those sales are also pathetic and BOTW is the only one quality open world Zelda that's why the sales are good?

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 03 February 2022

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Valdney said:

If Wind waker is a good example of a good story driven Zelda game in good demand, then why are  sales  so pathetic? Why  does the HD version with all the improvements have even more pathetic sales??  The data is crystal clear, Puzzelda doesn’t hold a candle  to open world Zelda. And most importantly: open world Zelda lights the world on fire and moves hardware, lots of it. 

OoT is a different beast.  OoT is a great game indeed, and it still carries a lot of what makes the older titles great. 

It was released on both Game Cube and Wii U, consoles with userbase 4 to 8 times smaller than Switch and you ask me why it had "pathetic" sales? For the record, Wind Waker was the 4th best selling Game Cube game (over 4.4 million copies), and the 9th best selling Wii U game (over 2.8 million copies)

The original Legend of Zelda sold about 6 million copies, and the next one 4 million copies in a system with much bigger userbases than both GC or Wii u. Should I assume those sales are also pathetic and BOTW is the only one quality open world Zelda that's why the sales are good?

Bold: 2.35mil

Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It was released on both Game Cube and Wii U, consoles with userbase 4 to 8 times smaller than Switch and you ask me why it had "pathetic" sales? For the record, Wind Waker was the 4th best selling Game Cube game (over 4.4 million copies), and the 9th best selling Wii U game (over 2.8 million copies)

Bold: 2.35mil

Thank you, edited

curl-6 said:

And when you think even furtherm Nintendo, unlike the competition tends to, always makes profit of the Hardware from day 1.

I hope they focus on building a battle chest of gold over dividends to share holders, because then they can easily survive even 2 generations of lesser sales. Also with this strategy a console with poor sales (like WiiU) still makes them money, so they’ll stay afloat unless the sales are catastrophic.

Quite the journey for the first hybrid platform now having passed all Nintendo home platforms only the two most successful portables of all time are above it in sales, under current momentum around 108m will by moved by the end of the FY in March which is 10m away from the GB mile stone which it may actually hit just as the next holiday period arrives.

103.54m

75.45m

The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe train does not have any brakes, already sold almost 8 million this FY with Q4 still remaining. It might pass 10 million like it did in FY 20-21.