By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st December) Switch at 103.54m shipped

MK9 has to be a launch title for the next platform the is no way they'll decide to disrupt MK8's sales, I'm certain MK9 will be the launch title for the Switch successor at this point. The is no point even trying to figure it out at this point the game is just in the same bracket as GTA and Minecraft where unless the is a massive screw up they'll just keep selling, was it in 2019 where it was reported MKWii added another 1m to its sales? Imagine MK8 doing that after this powerhouse run.

Around the Network
Valdney said:

Another clear signal from the market is that we will not settle for a Mario editor as a substitute for 2d Mario. Mario Maker 2 is dead while NSMBU Deluxe, despite its flaws, is rising. Bravo!

Mario Editor it´s another genre.

Mario 3d = exploration

Mario 2d = action plataform.

The switch will receive the new AAA 2d Mario Action platform? We see. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Valdney said:

I am sorry (not sorry) for you guys fans of Skyward Sword, but the underwhelming sales for this game is a beautiful thing to watch. Lol. It’s the market sending a clear signal to Nintendo, saying we do not want these linear story driven PuZZelda anymore. Lovely.

It's a clear message SS HD remaster is not worth it, only that. Ocarina of time sold over 6 million in 3DS a system with a significant smaller userbase than Switch. 

There is market for story driven Zelda, as long the game is good and/or there is significant work made for the game to improve it (like they did with Wind Waker). Skyward Sword is a half assed port from a game that isn't exactly well liked and got average reviews for a Zelda game, only 82 on Opencritic in a franchise where almost all home console titles got a 90+

Agreed. No problem with the story-driven game, but the main Zelda be about exploring a dangerous world with a shitty sword it´s a good premise for me.

Aonuma maybe tries to make another IP with his ideas and not contaminate Zelda with puzzles with one solution anywhere. 

Mar1217 said:
Wyrdness said:

MK9 has to be a launch title for the next platform the is no way they'll decide to disrupt MK8's sales, I'm certain MK9 will be the launch title for the Switch successor at this point. The is no point even trying to figure it out at this point the game is just in the same bracket as GTA and Minecraft where unless the is a massive screw up they'll just keep selling, was it in 2019 where it was reported MKWii added another 1m to its sales? Imagine MK8 doing that after this powerhouse run.

True. In a way, I'm also inclined to think that game will be also cross-gen because I figure Nintendo prolly wishes to launch a new MK at some point where there won't be as many high profile 1st party games for a given holiday season.

They may do cross-gen with the B-C tier titles that come out around that time as a way to ease the transition from Switch to Switch 2. 

But for the S-A tier titles like Mario Kart 9, those are going to be Switch 2 exclusive because they still need those kind of games to sell that system right out of the gate.

Mar1217 said:
JCGamer55 said:

"Pokémon BD/SP: 13.97M"

I'm devastated.

Furukawa go shopping with this music in mind :

???

Around the Network

Skyward Sword is bound to 3 million units wherever it goes. But those Metroid Dread sales are dayum.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Little disappointed in Wario Ware and Pokemon Snap sales. They're respectable, but they likely won't wind up as the best selling games of their franchises. I guess not every game can get the Switch boost :(.

Mar1217 said:
PAOerfulone said:

They may do cross-gen with the B-C tier titles that come out around that time as a way to ease the transition from Switch to Switch 2. 

But for the S-A tier titles like Mario Kart 9, those are going to be Switch 2 exclusive because they still need those kind of games to sell that system right out of the gate.

Doubtful, people we'll be excited to get a new system nonetheless if they're cross-gen or not. Case in point, BOTW is a cross-gen title and yet even at launch the Switch version was outrageously dominating it's WiiU counterpart and was capital in the Switch long success.

+ MK8 Deluxe isn't cross-gen but it is clear by it's OG version that people don't care if the game is sold on older hardware and can still remain as a must for any Nintendo system be it new or old.

In actuallity, my opinion is the reverse of yours. It's the smaller exclusive that will mostly benefit from being a console exclusive since the reduced competition early on makes these titles easier to gravitate to.

I think BOTW was a different case. A very small number of people owned BOTW, so if they wanted to get it, they would have to buy the new system. Same with Mario Kart 8 and all the other cross gen titles. I don't think the situation would have been the same if the Wii U had been wildly successful.

On the other hand, PS5 and XBoxSx basically have only cross gen titles and they're doing alright, so who knows. 

At any rate, Mario Kart 9 not being a launch title for the next machine, even if it's crossgen, at this point would be insanity, particularly if BOTW2 and Spla3n winds up launching in 2022 as planned.

Mar1217 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Doubtful, people we'll be excited to get a new system nonetheless if they're cross-gen or not. Case in point, BOTW is a cross-gen title and yet even at launch the Switch version was outrageously dominating it's WiiU counterpart and was capital in the Switch long success.

+ MK8 Deluxe isn't cross-gen but it is clear by it's OG version that people don't care if the game is sold on older hardware and can still remain as a must for any Nintendo system be it new or old.

In actuallity, my opinion is the reverse of yours. It's the smaller exclusive that will mostly benefit from being a console exclusive since the reduced competition early on makes these titles easier to gravitate to.

Tbh we can't really go by the WiiU to NS as a reference because few people would own the former's versions due to the 13m WW userbase, BOTW was really only released cross gen for the same reason TP was and that was to give a struggling platform a decent send off while launching a new platform to put the issues behind them, the games moved from WiiU to NS are clearly done because it's more Nintendo felt they had far more sales potential that was severely cut by the platform's woes and they were right going by the sales of the games they have brought over especially as NS has sold more hardware than WiiU has sold software, the games being ported are very much as good as being exclusive for the NS.

NS to its successor will be a different situation it will be Nintendo wanting the new platform to get out the gates so it's going to be more a 3DS and Switch situation where the NS will have some B/C tier games released to phase it out that in turn would likely be playable on the successor via the hinted BC feature while the successor gets the huge line up.

JWeinCom said:

Little disappointed in Wario Ware and Pokemon Snap sales. They're respectable, but they likely won't wind up as the best selling games of their franchises. I guess not every game can get the Switch boost :(.

Mar1217 said:

I think BOTW was a different case. A very small number of people owned BOTW, so if they wanted to get it, they would have to buy the new system. Same with Mario Kart 8 and all the other cross gen titles. I don't think the situation would have been the same if the Wii U had been wildly successful.

On the other hand, PS5 and XBoxSx basically have only cross gen titles and they're doing alright, so who knows. 

At any rate, Mario Kart 9 not being a launch title for the next machine, even if it's crossgen, at this point would be insanity, particularly if BOTW2 and Spla3n winds up launching in 2022 as planned.

You must not forget that for New Pokémon Snap the Japan sales are not counted in the total, which are over 300k physical and likely over 400k total.

Well, so much for all that nonsense about $60 being too much for a 2D Metroid; it's only 80k off being the highest selling game in the series, in less than 3 months.

4m lifetime isn't off the table, really goes to show the built up demand for a new entry, plus the Switch boost. And the fact it's a freaking fantastic game.