By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What system advanced the most graphically from its launch games to its peak?

I know Wii U comes in last in this regard. Literally, that poor thing was maxed out at birth.

I will go with Xbox 360. I agree with who ever said it was base Xbox hd graphics at first but turned into a graphics monster

Around the Network
snyps said:

I know Wii U comes in last in this regard. Literally, that poor thing was maxed out at birth.

I know it's a silly comparison but I think you were a bit harsh there.

Edit: honestly, giving it a bit more thought, I'd actually say this about the Switch. Its games, even exclusives, have barely improved visually since 2017, and in the realm of non-exclusives, they feel like they look worse and worse the more outdated the console becomes.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!

The PS360 pair come to mind for me. That generation lasted an eternity so that certainly helped, but we went from games that looked more or less identical to 6th gen games to games that still hold up visually today

It would have to be one of the 8 and 16-bit consoles. When you look at Super Mario World and DKC, it's like they're being played on difference systems. Same for Super Mario Bros. 1 and Super Mario Bros. 3. I can't think of another console that was that drastic.

PS3 and 360 are pretty notable. GTA V is far above early AAA games released on those platforms. I've only played The Last of Us Remastered, but I've seen footage of the PS3 version. I'm amazed they got those visuals out of a PS3, but the frame rate is crap compared to the PS4.
Super Mario Bros. 3 looks incredible for a NES game. It's well above Super Mario Bros and other NES games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

PS1 was also up there imo. While developers were getting a hold of the paradigm shift that was 3D graphics on consoles. The jump from launch to several years in was, frankly massive.

From basic, super low res textures and mega low poly counts in early fighting, sports and racers like Ridge Racer and Wipeoout to things that actually resemble things in real life like (more detailed) environments, people and cars. Games wise RE 2/3, RR4, Final Fantasy to the Tekken's later in the gen. Also for the very first time we had cel-shaded like graphics in Vagrant Story which was super impressive at the time and even now looks great.

Last edited by hinch - on 23 January 2022

mZuzek said:

Edit: honestly, giving it a bit more thought, I'd actually say this about the Switch. Its games, even exclusives, have barely improved visually since 2017, and in the realm of non-exclusives, they feel like they look worse and worse the more outdated the console becomes.

I'd have to disagree on this, to me a game like Luigi's Mansion 3 looks significantly better than anything released in the first two years of the Switch.

We've seen games in the same series improve too; Mario Party Superstars looks better than Super Mario Party, Torna looks better than base Xenoblade 2, Doom Eternal looks better than Doom 2016, etc.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Mario Party Superstars looks better than Super Mario Party

They look identical to me. Can't comment on the other examples you gave, though.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!

Any answer newer than the 16 bit generation is wrong. SNES by systems end was doing 3D games. Very primitive but still. F-Zero tried to give the illusion of 3D but Starfox got there. Mario World looked great on launch and still does but tech why Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's island were marvels.

Ranger X on Genesis had 3D effects in some stages and the wireframe models. It had added detail like going above the trees the lighting would change.

These are some gifs on Genesis/SNES games late in their life

SNES and Genesis by systems end had cutscenes almost FMV quality

Let's do a side by side of a launch game vs a late game in Genesis and SNES

Genesis. Last Battle vs Comix Zone

F-Zero to Stunt Race SNES

Let's not forget sound. Tales of Phantasia had voice acting and singing, they got this to fit in 64 KILOBYTES

Genesis could have near CD quality sound by the time the system was aging

None of the Genesis stuff I posted is using 32X nor SCD. It's all just the Genesis.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 January 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Mario Party Superstars looks better than Super Mario Party

They look identical to me. Can't comment on the other examples you gave, though.

To my eye the lighting and shaders look nicer in Superstars, as well as the modeling and effects work. It's not a huge gap but I did notice it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 January 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.