By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What system advanced the most graphically from its launch games to its peak?

Thread title says it all really; what system to do think saw the most graphical improvement over its lifespan?

Around the Network

I'd say definitely X360.
Went from more or less base Xbox visuals in HD and with high res textures to games like GTAV and Tomb Raider

Last edited by freebs2 - on 24 January 2022

The PS2.

I know im in the minority here, but I did not feel the jump from 2d to 3d until the PS2. The N64 was god awful in that regard, it had a couple of games I absolutely love, but I dont really see them as "jump in graphics" or "jump in gen" games. Even OoT has so many drawbacks. And as asure as fuck It ruins Mario games for me. However, jumping from the fantastic FFVII, FFIX and whatever the fuck FFVIII was to decent FFX - to the fantastic FFXII felt important. Felt like a genuine change. So thats my pick. 

Edit: And having that said - I thought - And still think - The SNES is the best console ever - To this day. So I cant really think of any "Jump of generation" that ever mattered as much. 

Well, my favorite system, and the one I know the most is the SNES.

I think it had a very nice evolution in graphics if we compare earlier games like Super Mario World and F-ZERO to some later titles like Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Yoshi Island, Donkey Kong Country 3...

freebs2 said:

I'd say definetrly X360.
Went from more or less base Xbox visuals in HD and with high res textures to games like GTAV and Tomb Raider

I'd be curious to see a comparison between the worst graphics GTA5 ever had and the best it ever had. That game has had so many re releases lol.

Around the Network

FM Towns Marty

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

The PS3 comes to mind. Compare any launch game - heck, even any game in its first two years to Uncharted 2/3, GOW 3 or The Last of Us.

PS3. We went from PS2'ish looking games like Resistance to Uncharted 3, The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

Launch title - Resistance: Fall of Man (Insomniac)

End of the generation - Beyond: Two Souls (Quantic Dream)

Last edited by hinch - on 23 January 2022

I know Wii U comes in last in this regard. Literally, that poor thing was maxed out at birth.

I will go with Xbox 360. I agree with who ever said it was base Xbox hd graphics at first but turned into a graphics monster

The PS360 pair come to mind for me. That generation lasted an eternity so that certainly helped, but we went from games that looked more or less identical to 6th gen games to games that still hold up visually today