By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What system advanced the most graphically from its launch games to its peak?

snyps said:
Leynos said:

DDarksiders II while a fun game doesn't have the physics and complex geometry BOTW has. DSII is separated in regions and are all flat open areas with no interactivity.

The question though was, which system advanced the most graphically. Darksiders II is a stunning game. 

BOTW used more advanced graphical techniques than Darksiders II like volumetric lighting, physics-driven particles, real-time reflections, and individually rendered blades of grass instead of clumps, and runs at a higher resolution without DS2's intrusive screen tearing.

Around the Network
snyps said:
Leynos said:

DDarksiders II while a fun game doesn't have the physics and complex geometry BOTW has. DSII is separated in regions and are all flat open areas with no interactivity.

The question though was, which system advanced the most graphically. Darksiders II is a stunning game. 

Darksiders II barely functions propperly on the Wii U. Sub HD resolution, crazy popping, eye-bleeding tearing, the framerate was all over the place, it had plenty of bugs and glitches and it had a tendency to crash or freeze frequently, having to completely power off the console. 

Comparing it to BotW or even outright saying it looks BETTER is quite a stretch let me tell you. 

Conina said:

PC

From Microsoft Flight Simulator v1.0 (1982) to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020/2021:

I don't see much of a difference here at all other than one is in color.  Don't have my glasses on though.

Man, this one is just too tough to call!

Leynos said:
snyps said:

And Graphically BOTW is leagues above it. Again a lot more geometry and DSII is just flat open regions.. So DSII is not on BOTW's level at all.

curl-6 said:
snyps said:

BOTW used more advanced graphical techniques than Darksiders II like volumetric lighting, physics-driven particles, real-time reflections, and individually rendered blades of grass instead of clumps, and runs at a higher resolution without DS2's intrusive screen tearing.

Vodacixi said:
snyps said:

Darksiders II barely functions propperly on the Wii U. Sub HD resolution, crazy popping, eye-bleeding tearing, the framerate was all over the place, it had plenty of bugs and glitches and it had a tendency to crash or freeze frequently, having to completely power off the console. 

Comparing it to BotW or even outright saying it looks BETTER is quite a stretch let me tell you. 

Alright alright alright. I yield. The bugs were not the Wii U’s fault. That was the devs. I guess though, I was comparing art styles instead of technical techniques. I don’t get that deep into it. I just think darksiders ii looks cooler. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

Also BotW2 in the last trailer looks better than BotW.

Ehhh.

I think the lighting, from what I've seen looks superior and the clouds look better.

PS1 advanced quite a lot graphically. I’m sure the facts that the technology was uncharted and the break out financial success all lended to intensive development.

Here’s a list of launch games
https://www.thegamer.com/ps1-launch-games-ranked/

Here’s its best titles
https://www.gamesradar.com/best-psx-games/

My vote goes to the 7th gen consoles. Early PS3 and 360 games didn't look better than how PS2 with HDMI would look like. Late 7th gen games looked so good that PS4/X1 games didn't manage to do something that could really overcome PS360 until mid 8th gen.

I think Xbox 360 and PS3 era advanced the most. Especially when you consider how unpolished launch era 360 games were.

PS1 was also huge. When you consider where it started. MGS genuinely wowed at the time. While something like Quake 2 is a technical marvel.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Any console that relied on supplemental enhancements/accessories to improve visual fidelity is arguably the console that had the most "visual advancement" over it's lifetime.

So... The Super Nintendo going from: launch games to SuperFX 2 powered games.
Super Mario World vs Yoshi's Island.

The Nintendo 64 with base vs expansion pack games.
Goldeneye to Perfect Dark.

Sega Genesis with 32x.
Virtua Racing to Virtua Racing Deluxe.

But ultimately what muddies the water is native playback of Playstation 4 and Xbox One titles on the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X with "enhancement" modes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--