By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What system advanced the most graphically from its launch games to its peak?

Definitely PS3 and X360. From upres-ed PS2-like looking games to eye candies like TLOU and Uncharted 3 on the PS3 and Alan Wake and Gears of War 3 on the X360.

They went from COD3 (or even COD2 for the X360)

to COD AW/BO3.

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 24 January 2022

Around the Network

I know I'll make console gamers sad pandas, but it must be said: PC

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

If you are going to play that game I would argue mobile phones :P 

Spindel said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Great point indeed!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Spindel said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Yes, great increase too, but not sure the relative increase from 80x86 PCs with unaccelerated framebuffers to Zen 3 and 10th gen Core with latest GPUs is lower than the one from the first phones able to run games to latest smartphones, unless we make phone gaming start with those awful mini-games built-in in some "dumb" phones.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

It's the NES, with the PS1 also being a strong contender.  Compare NES Donkey Kong (launch) to Super Mario Bros 3.  Most people don't say NES, because they don't remember it.  However, gaming was advancing much quicker in every way on the NES than it ever has since.

My first notice was the SNES. I know many would think of Donkey Kong or something else for the SNES but to me it was Street Fighter Alpha 2. To see very similar graphic level of a PS1/Sega Saturn game on a SNES blew me away (granted the SNES had a few extra seconds of load time before each match more pixels).

mZuzek said:
snyps said:

I know Wii U comes in last in this regard. Literally, that poor thing was maxed out at birth.

I know it's a silly comparison but I think you were a bit harsh there.

Edit: honestly, giving it a bit more thought, I'd actually say this about the Switch. Its games, even exclusives, have barely improved visually since 2017, and in the realm of non-exclusives, they feel like they look worse and worse the more outdated the console becomes.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Spindel said:

Yes, great increase too, but not sure the relative increase from 80x86 PCs with unaccelerated framebuffers to Zen 3 and 10th gen Core with latest GPUs is lower than the one from the first phones able to run games to latest smartphones, unless we make phone gaming start with those awful mini-games built-in in some "dumb" phones.

The problem with both the phone and PC comparison is that the hardware has changed.

When looking at consoles (before PS4 and XBO) the hardware was static. Sure you had co-processors in some cartriges but the base hardware was the same. That can not be said about IBM compatible PC unless you keep within one generation. Closest is earlier computers like C64 or A500, where the hardware was static but those systems also had a tremendous evolution between the early and the late games that came out for them.

But then again OP asks for consoles, and niether IBM PC, C64 or A500 where consoles but general computing devices.

snyps said:
mZuzek said:

I know it's a silly comparison but I think you were a bit harsh there.

Edit: honestly, giving it a bit more thought, I'd actually say this about the Switch. Its games, even exclusives, have barely improved visually since 2017, and in the realm of non-exclusives, they feel like they look worse and worse the more outdated the console becomes.

DDarksiders II while a fun game doesn't have the physics and complex geometry BOTW has. DSII is separated in regions and are all flat open areas with no interactivity.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!