By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would you want Sony to trade for CoD on PlayStation?

Cross-play might be enough for them.

Around the Network

I think everyone would be happy if MS and Sony could just work out a deal to put Gamepass on PlayStation. MS can keeps the games exclusive to their ecosystem and PS doesn't have to risk losing players to XB because MS controls a bunch of the most popular IPs.

MS clearly doesn't care about hardware sales, they just want players. In this scenario, they get those. Sony would get to sell consoles to any former or new potential XB players that don't care about owning the games cuz they have no reason to buy an XB. Also, it seems likely that MS will eventually transition everything to the subscription model, at which point literally every console gamer would opt for PS.

twintail said:
VAMatt said:

I think everyone would be happy if MS and Sony could just work out a deal to put Gamepass on PlayStation. MS can keeps the games exclusive to their ecosystem and PS doesn't have to risk losing players to XB because MS controls a bunch of the most popular IPs.

MS clearly doesn't care about hardware sales, they just want players. In this scenario, they get those. Sony would get to sell consoles to any former or new potential XB players that don't care about owning the games cuz they have no reason to buy an XB. Also, it seems likely that MS will eventually transition everything to the subscription model, at which point literally every console gamer would opt for PS.

Surely if GP comes to PS5, then all those games need to be available natively on PS5 - unless we're expecting PS5 users to have a bunch of stream only content.

Likewise, publishers are going to have to agree to have the games made available on Gamepass PS5 considering the PS5 is already an existing revenue stream for them.

I don't know, but this entire situation seems a lot more complicated than Sony just allowing it. It has major repercussions for their partners who might still prefer the non-gamepass approach on PS5, and unless certain games are developed with PS5 in mind as well, you're left with a gamepass that is clearly inferior to Xbox/ PC because of missing games or the requirement of streaming to access them. 

Why can't the games be native to PS and Gamepass exclusive?  Considering the architecture of modern consoles, I think that's not a big deal for the devs.  

I think it's well known what Phil wants? He wants Game Pass on Playstation. He's not going to get it though.

BonfiresDown said:

I think it's well known what Phil wants? He wants Game Pass on Playstation. He's not going to get it though.

Thats thier end game, its why they purchase these giant publishers because its adding more pressure for companies to give in or risk losing billions of revenue. COD alone is a haymaker blow. MS wont stop there either. 

Guess which company benefits not having COD on it?

Its a win win for MS either way, however its a bigger win if GP makes it over to PS.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 23 January 2022

Around the Network
twintail said:
VAMatt said:

Why can't the games be native to PS and Gamepass exclusive?  Considering the architecture of modern consoles, I think that's not a big deal for the devs.  

Im not saying they can't, just that it isn't as simple as just putting gamepass on ps5. There are still a lot of logistics concerning development of games, willingness of publishers, among other factors. And would Sony be ok with these native ps5 games not being made available for purchase, considering that digital software is their primary source of income?

Doesn't XB GP have F2P titles like Warzone and Fortnite available? No way SNY simply allows their console customers to dump their money into MTX on GP instead of into PS pockets.

If GP didn't change, then there would have to be a fee to access GP on PS5. In that case, SNY might as well have a new tier of Plus that grants monthly or yearly access to GP. I don't think MS would be pleased with yet another barrier to GP entry.

BasilZero said:

GamePass availability on Playstation

for

Activision Blizzard and Bethesda physical and digital releases on Playstation consoles to continue.

Reality: Its just gonna be a cash exchange or similar to Minecraft.

If SNY is thinking about doing something like GP, even if it's not exactly the same, then SNY no doubt is going to want access to most if not all of these recent and future third party title acquisitions from MS to be potentially available on PS Plus 'Platinum' or whatever. Like even if MS were to acquire TT, SNY will want that automatically coming to their GP like service if they make one.

That would likely be a no go for MS because it would be far too risky. SNY could make XB GP irrelevant other than for past/existing MS first party.

Imagine if PS Plus 'Platinum' were to show up and undercut XB GP, while also offering a slightly lesser service. Day 1 PS new IP, some existing PS games, some existing third party games, and all day 1 Zeni, Acti, Bliz, etc, games.

This would likely lead to nothing changing in terms of consumer mind share going forward. It actually could hurt XB even more.

You could buy a PS5 for it's first party titles and Plus 'Platinum' while also having access to past/existing MS first party titles day 1 through GP. Which just might be part of Plus 'Platinum' or an even higher tier anyway.

If MS told SNY they couldn't have Zeni, Acti, Bliz, etc, games on Plus 'Platinum', or only some select games, SNY likely isn't going to be ok with it.

The only other way I can think of evening things out would be to have PS 'Platinum' available on XB Series consoles and PC. Though MS has to pledge to keep making consoles, which they would also have to keep up certain hardware level standards, and then any extra (fee) roadblocks wouldn't be an issue on either brands console.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 23 January 2022

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

People who thinks sony will allow gamepass as it is on ps5 is delusional

MS won't allow it either, they are just saying things like they want it everywhere to come across as "friendly". 

BraLoD said:
zero129 said:

I've heard rumor that Sony is planning on giving LoD's ip to MS in a deal xD.

MS has a higher chance of making it into another game anyway, lol.

But it will be live service. And you only unlock darts dragoon in the story the other characters you have to buy the dragoon spirits from the shop. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

BO3 was the last game I enjoyed, personally wouldn't trade anything for it but that's just from a personal taste standpoint. From a business standpoint, Spiderman is probably the only property that makes sense in a straight up trade in terms of mass market appeal. Maybe God of War but I think Spiderman makes more sense. Either way, I doubt Sony would give up exclusivity on Spiderman or God of War.

COD isn't the only big loss here.

Losing things like Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, are big losses too.