By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would you want Sony to trade for CoD on PlayStation?

Shiken said:

Doesn't matter to me. As someone who owns all consoles, this trade would not result in the game coming to gamepass. So even if Sony did make a trade, which would at least make sense for CoD to be on PS, it really doesn't affect me in any way as I will still be paying retail value for whatever game they bring over one way or another.

Well nothing ever really impacts those who own everything. Us plebians (the vast majority) of gamers can't afford (either the money and/or the time investment) into owning every console + PC.

Around the Network

I have zero interest in CoD but I would love to see GT go to gamepass cross-play for the easy XBox competition. Bring it on :)

This whole gamepass on playstation thing is just a matter of price. Sony wants a big share, MS wants to give Sony the smallest share possible. So getting into a better bargaining position is key. The bigger price is to get xCloud on Sony tvs (and others as well ofcourse)

Dulfite said:
Shiken said:

Doesn't matter to me. As someone who owns all consoles, this trade would not result in the game coming to gamepass. So even if Sony did make a trade, which would at least make sense for CoD to be on PS, it really doesn't affect me in any way as I will still be paying retail value for whatever game they bring over one way or another.

Well nothing ever really impacts those who own everything. Us plebians (the vast majority) of gamers can't afford (either the money and/or the time investment) into owning every console + PC.

One could argue that if you have a PC, you wouldn't need every console anyway.  Really just a Switch alongside it would siffice, especially as more Sony games get PC releases.

And besides that, the question was to each individual poster...as in what I myself would want.  Am I not allowed to reply because I have all consoles nor express why it doesn't matter to me?

Last edited by Shiken - on 22 January 2022

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Dulfite said:

One could argue that if you have a PC, you wouldn't need every console anyway.  Really just a Switch alongside it would siffice, especially as more Sony games get PC releases.

And besides that, the question was to each individual poster...as in what I myself would want.  Am I not allowed to reply because I have all consoles nor express why it doesn't matter to me?

You absolutely are.

Otter said:

I'm curious, why do you think Minecraft Dungeons was released on Playstation? I feel like people often just skip over that or treat it as a one off anomaly. 

Regarding the bold Microsoft themselves have to make sense of the fact that Call of Duty without the Playstation fanbase may very see huge declines and risk being replaced by a competitor. A damaged brand bring gamepass less value than a highly valuable one. COD could be a poster boy of Gamepass every year if they're able to maintain its standing and that longterm can be way healthier than throwing its future popularity into question through an aggressive cutting of its audience. Many of whom simply will not purchase a new console or turn into PC gamers over night.

This is a very valid point that just seems to be lost on a lot of people. Particularly because nobody seems to addressing the strategy COD have been using to sell their games.

The success of COD has been bolstered massively in the past 2 years by the release of Warzone and the timing with Covid. It has seen a huge influx of even more casual gamers, who don't even normally buy COD annual releases, enter the space. 

For those who aren't playing the game, COD titles are tied to the Battle Royale. This is because they cleverly leverage Warzone to sell their new releases, by crossing over content from the mainline games into the Battle Royale and slowing down a players progress if they don't buy it.

Now this strategy could of course change, but if you remove mainline COD from Playstation, you cut off the Battle Royale. If you cut off the Battle Royale, you cut off millions of paying customers. If you cut off millions of players, you open the space wide open for a competitor to just walk right in. Leaving to door open for irreparable damage to the IP. 

I think this is perhaps the most important point though. The reason mainline COD games are intrinsically linked to Warzone, is because essentially COD has been competing with its own creation. They have 100 million players who download their free game, they need to try and draw the attention of that audience away from their existing game to pay for their new games. If you separate the two, or divide the audience in any capacity, you lose market share. 

Around the Network

Thinking about it again. Sony might offer some of their PC offerings to XBox Gamepass for PC.

The games released on PC, don't need extra development time like porting to Xbox consoles. But it would give MS something back.

The biggest value proposition for PlayStation as a brand from the start, in my opinion, was not the first party titles, but the fact that if you bought a PlayStation you got a “no compromise” experience.

If you bought other consoles, you knew you were going to miss out on something. Nintendo always lacked western third party support, and Xbox always lacked Japanese support, particularly from the AA and A space. PlayStation was the one console that had basically everything besides niche PC genres like RTS.

2023 will be the first time in the brand’s history that if you choose PlayStation, you are actually losing a large portion of the industry. If you are an FPS fan, if you are an RPG fan, if you are a western MMO fan, if you are a car game fan, if you are a family friendly game fan, if you want to play games portably, if you want any of the above, PlayStation is simply a bad choice now. On top of that, it will be the most expensive platform to be on for long term cost of ownership.

I think internally at Sony they would gladly trade one or two of their first party franchises to keep call of duty

Pinkie_pie said:

Give them spiderman. That should be more than enough

This.

I personally don't give a crap about COD. I only played about one or two of them for an hour or so back in the 360 days. But I understand millions of people play COD, and it would be nice to still have it on PlayStation in perpetuity instead of restricting it to Xbox and Windows. 

The Spider-Man series feels like one of the least PlayStation iconic franchises in the sense that it's based on a comic character created in the 60s who has had a ton of incarnations over the years. It would be nice for the Spider-Man game franchise to come to Xbox and Windows. Spider-Man is a massive crowd-pleaser, and it wouldn't be near as crazy as putting God of War or Uncharted on Xbox. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Sony did already give Microsoft its baseball game.

rapsuperstar31 said:

Sony did already give Microsoft its baseball game.

This was not their choice though, the MLB told them to launch the game on Xbox or they would lose the MLB license