By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would you want Sony to trade for CoD on PlayStation?

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

Funny to see people thinking MS demanding Kotick being fired to close the deal would be to much, but thinking before the deal is closed MS can tell Acti to delay CoD for 3 years so Sony don't have another mainline release....

Actually yes, they can because when you purchase something, you can purchase something with conditions.  Not sure what make you believe that MS going to pay that kind of money and not also have certain conditions on the sale.  There is a lot of work that goes into a sell and there are a lot of contracts made on C level execs, how long the stay or if they go.  I have been through the sale of the company I have worked for 3 times and trust you me, its not just putting up the money and that is it.  So yes, before the sale, there will be many talks about every single IP that Activision/ Blizzard own, what is coming to market at what time and for what platform.  Everything is now up in he air until its all done.

So you say that they could have demanded Bobby imediate firing but didn`t?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Call of Duty will be multiplatform until 2023 according to Jason Schreier, which includes two mainline entries, and free to play Warzone 2.

It will be difficult to replace COD but a lot can change in a couple of years especially in the multiplayer landscape. I think the impact of the series going F2P is unforeseen, it could take away unit sales from mainline entries, and might even shift how the majority play the game. An exclusive Call of Duty in 2024 will be huge for GamePass, but the damage it could've done to the PS5 is not as disruptive as projected, since Sony will be able to meet demand without any supply issues well before late 2024, making it unlikely many will switch ecosystems by that point in time. This is also not considering Microsoft moving away from annual COD releases.

Not an ideal situation for Sony to be in, and while its looking like more of a PS6 problem, its still a massive problem they will have to deal with. That being said, having another generation to grow current & new IP, having a pipeline filled with multiplayer projects from industry veterans ready to fill the gap left by COD, plus whatever strategic acquisitions Sony make along the way, this long term "buffer" is pivotal to the Playstation brand. Honestly, it might be the reason Sony maintains their market position going forward, despite Microsoft throwing tens of billions of dollars for content/IP.

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

Actually yes, they can because when you purchase something, you can purchase something with conditions.  Not sure what make you believe that MS going to pay that kind of money and not also have certain conditions on the sale.  There is a lot of work that goes into a sell and there are a lot of contracts made on C level execs, how long the stay or if they go.  I have been through the sale of the company I have worked for 3 times and trust you me, its not just putting up the money and that is it.  So yes, before the sale, there will be many talks about every single IP that Activision/ Blizzard own, what is coming to market at what time and for what platform.  Everything is now up in he air until its all done.

C level execs never get fired, they retire to go do other things, like family, gardening etc.  He probably would not leave right away as well but there will be conditions if MS wanted them.  Right now, all is just speculation so who knows what will happen.  For all we know, Bobby could just move to another position within MS as a condition.  Something like head of HR or customer service.

Making CoD exclusive is a risk move.

At best for MS: great number of player gonna migrate to xbox or PC, perhaps 10M, maybe 15M, 20M at best? Anyway, this Will cause massive damage at sonys pockets and XB Will be much stronger.

At wrost for MS: Sony, or perhaps a partner, will seize the hollow left by CoD. It will hurt Playstation at first, but with time CoD will not be missed. At the same time, xbox will have caused severe damage to CoD and lose money, and player base, for nothing.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 26 January 2022

twintail said:
PotentHerbs said:

Call of Duty will be multiplatform until 2023 according to Jason Schreier, which includes two mainline entries, and free to play Warzone 2.

Yeah I suppose this always made sense. But it does suggest that Sony has been getting deals for 3 year blocks I think. They started in 2015 with BO3, so 2023 would line up with that. So, it's not ideal it's also no train smash since they're basically almost maximizing their deal. 

But of course, a lot of info still missing. Granted, they have breathing room to get substitutes out. Will be interesting to see what happens with this going into 2024. 

There really is no substitute for COD but there are already plenty of alternative FPS.  The player base for COD that want to play COD will go the platform that has COD.  Case in point would be Final Fantasy.  There are plenty of Japanese RPGs but there is no substitute for FF.  In the short term this probably does not have that big of an impact on Sony but long term well we will have to see.  If anything, this is MS sending a huge message to the industry that they are very serious about their commitment to the gaming industry and thus all the players are on noticed.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

C level execs never get fired, they retire to go do other things, like family, gardening etc.  He probably would not leave right away as well but there will be conditions if MS wanted them.  Right now, all is just speculation so who knows what will happen.  For all we know, Bobby could just move to another position within MS as a condition.  Something like head of HR or customer service.

So you believe MS could demand that no more MP games are released before the deal is closed but couldn`t fire Bobby and other execs involved in all the troubles caused at Acti?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

So you believe MS could demand that no more MP games are released before the deal is closed but couldn`t fire Bobby and other execs involved in all the troubles caused at Acti?

MS can demand whatever they want, its up to Act/Blizzard whether or not they agree to the terms.  In other words, MS coming in saying I will purchase your company at this price, here are our terms.  Its on Acti/Bliz to say yes or no.  They will have over the months multiple meetings hashing out the terms of the sale.  Actually, they might have already hashed out those agreements and now its just getting approval of the sell.  

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

MS can demand whatever they want, its up to Act/Blizzard whether or not they agree to the terms.  In other words, MS coming in saying I will purchase your company at this price, here are our terms.  Its on Acti/Bliz to say yes or no.  They will have over the months multiple meetings hashing out the terms of the sale.  Actually, they might have already hashed out those agreements and now its just getting approval of the sell.  

Ok. So MS didn't care enough about cleaning Activision as fast as possible when they made their purchase offer?

Machiavellian said:
twintail said:

Yeah I suppose this always made sense. But it does suggest that Sony has been getting deals for 3 year blocks I think. They started in 2015 with BO3, so 2023 would line up with that. So, it's not ideal it's also no train smash since they're basically almost maximizing their deal. 

But of course, a lot of info still missing. Granted, they have breathing room to get substitutes out. Will be interesting to see what happens with this going into 2024. 

There really is no substitute for COD but there are already plenty of alternative FPS.  The player base for COD that want to play COD will go the platform that has COD.  Case in point would be Final Fantasy.  There are plenty of Japanese RPGs but there is no substitute for FF.  In the short term this probably does not have that big of an impact on Sony but long term well we will have to see.  If anything, this is MS sending a huge message to the industry that they are very serious about their commitment to the gaming industry and thus all the players are on noticed.

The majority of gamers are unaware of this. The majority are not online forums or watch youtube commentary. They see a game their friends have and buy it. So they will ignore this and keep buying playstations untill then. Then what? Asked them to switch consoles? That's gona be a big ask for a lot of them. Specially 5he younger players. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

This is not the way it'll play out but assuming it'd be a trade vis a vis to get "X" exclusive game from Playstation for "Y" COD game then if I'm Microsoft I'm picking Spider-Man, Wolverine, and KOTOR. Those are just licenses that Sony holds with an expiration date. MS can play the long game, get the fans of those franchises on XBox and reach out to the IP holder for a licensing deal later. Plus those are probably the most popular ones as is and every other big exclusive franchise is actually owned by Sony.