By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What year will the Switch successor release?

 

What year will Switch successor release?

2022 2 2.41%
 
2023 13 15.66%
 
2024 48 57.83%
 
2025 16 19.28%
 
2026 3 3.61%
 
2027 & Beyond 1 1.20%
 
Total:83
RolStoppable said:

Right now I am thinking holidays 2024. Nintendo has been very slow at getting new Switch games out and their planned expansion of human resources is only beginning to materialize now in 2022, so it will still take at least a couple of years until that can really benefit Nintendo's overall software output.

Next gen hardware is supposed to have prettier games for many of Nintendo's key IPs, so when Nintendo is already struggling to get games out for the current Switch in a timely manner, there's absolutely no point in targeting a launch timeframe for Switch's successor any earlier than holidays 2024. People have to remember that Nintendo will have to build the new installed base almost exclusively by themselves again, so Nintendo needs to be well-prepared. Also worth noting is that many third parties took quite some time to get around to support Switch properly, so from that perspective there's no point in rushing out a Switch successor either. They are too occupied with game development that targets late 2022, 2023 and even 2024 to be remotely close to being prepared for an early Switch successor launch.

Instead of 2027 and beyond, you should have had infinity and beyond, for the rest I agree with 2024 but march rather than holidays but that may be  a little early so I'm hedging my bets with March or holidays 2024 followed by March 2025.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
aikohualda said:

holiday 2023 or mid 2024
If they release this year, I wonder if they would ever catch up with ps4 numbers.

Even if the successor comes next holidays, Switch will probably still outsell the PS4.

I mean, PS4 is only 15 million ahead of Switch, and we can see how great Switch is selling. Plus, we still have Splatoon 3, Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and some third party games coming this year.

I am starting to think there's no way Switch won't reach PS4 numbers.

 Switch will pass the PS4 it's inevitable now, even if they cut it's legs to the same degree that Sony did with the PS4.



Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Holiday 2024 earliest, sometime in 2025 latest.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

aikohualda said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Even if the successor comes next holidays, Switch will probably still outsell the PS4.

I mean, PS4 is only 15 million ahead of Switch, and we can see how great Switch is selling. Plus, we still have Splatoon 3, Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and some third party games coming this year.

I am starting to think there's no way Switch won't reach PS4 numbers.

Im just thinking... like how they did Wii U. imagine a surprised announcement from nintendo saying... Switch 2 will be out by April that will have Metroid prime, splatoon 3, BOTW 2 as a release games like how switch and wii u had BOTW.

But yeah i want switch to outsell original gameboy :)

That's... Not actually impossible if Nintendo wants to continue porting their most successful games to their new systems.



I have a Youtube channel... A Twitter, and... Yeah.

RolStoppable said:

Right now I am thinking holidays 2024. Nintendo has been very slow at getting new Switch games out and their planned expansion of human resources is only beginning to materialize now in 2022, so it will still take at least a couple of years until that can really benefit Nintendo's overall software output.

Next gen hardware is supposed to have prettier games for many of Nintendo's key IPs, so when Nintendo is already struggling to get games out for the current Switch in a timely manner, there's absolutely no point in targeting a launch timeframe for Switch's successor any earlier than holidays 2024. People have to remember that Nintendo will have to build the new installed base almost exclusively by themselves again, so Nintendo needs to be well-prepared. Also worth noting is that many third parties took quite some time to get around to support Switch properly, so from that perspective there's no point in rushing out a Switch successor either. They are too occupied with game development that targets late 2022, 2023 and even 2024 to be remotely close to being prepared for an early Switch successor launch.

They will have to rely on building the base by themselves as usual but this time unless they have some radical design change that precludes BC they have the Switch software to help support that building, but having said that I agree it not just about having the hardware ready, it takes years to prepare the software development so you aren't just selling hardware, it can be seen in the expectations put on both the PS5 and Xbox Series with the early gen conversation being less about 3rd party and more about first party enticement and keeping customers or should I say consumers locked into those platforms with those being seen as the important drivers in building up the next gen.



Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I'm still with 2025 Release



VMCJonCarter said:

I'm still with 2025 Release

That’s way too early. 2027 at the earliest. Probably 2033.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I would have said holiday '23...but with the way they handles Switch and 3ds, I'm leaning towards late winter/spring of '24



aikohualda said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Even if the successor comes next holidays, Switch will probably still outsell the PS4.

I mean, PS4 is only 15 million ahead of Switch, and we can see how great Switch is selling. Plus, we still have Splatoon 3, Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and some third party games coming this year.

I am starting to think there's no way Switch won't reach PS4 numbers.

Im just thinking... like how they did Wii U. imagine a surprised announcement from nintendo saying... Switch 2 will be out by April that will have Metroid prime, splatoon 3, BOTW 2 as a release games like how switch and wii u had BOTW.

But yeah i want switch to outsell original gameboy :)

Even with the WiiU though, Nintendo had been talking about the NX since March of 2015.  So, 2 years before the Switch launch, we not only officially knew that Nintendo was working on its next console, but we also knew what its codename was.  Also, the WiiU was selling what, 3m consoles a year?  That's a far cry from the 20m+ Switches that have been sold the past 2 years running.  There's absolutely no reason for Nintendo to cut the legs out from the Switch right now.



I have thought holiday 2023 for a while but at this point that is probably the earliest possible release date for it. 2024 is looking more likely as time goes on though I hope it doesn't release any later than that since it taking till 2025 for an upgrade would be rough.