By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What year will the Switch successor release?

What year will Switch successor release?

2022 2 2.35%

2023 13 15.29%

2024 50 58.82%

2025 16 18.82%

2026 3 3.53%

2027 & Beyond 1 1.18%

Total:85

So the "Pro" model theory has totally been dropped? If so, I'm glad. I agree with Mandalore76, the shortage must have seriously hampered plans and essentially make a 2022 release next to impossible, which, on one hand, is unfortunate because a lot of games just don't run well.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Late 2023 or March 2024, methinks.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

hinch said:

From last year. Unless this guy has some 11 or more bad sources..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-29/nintendo-switch-4k-developers-make-games-for-nonexistent-console

I no longer consider Bloomberg a reliable source for gaming news. They had us all believing the OLED model would be a 4k Switch.

That's not necessarily an indicative of a bad source. Plans change, things are misinterpreted. It's more likely that someone mistakenly conflated the Switch's sucessor with the Oled model somewhere along the leaking pipeline.

holiday 2023 or mid 2024
If they release this year, I wonder if they would ever catch up with ps4 numbers.

aikohualda said:

holiday 2023 or mid 2024
If they release this year, I wonder if they would ever catch up with ps4 numbers.

Even if the successor comes next holidays, Switch will probably still outsell the PS4.

I mean, PS4 is only 15 million ahead of Switch, and we can see how great Switch is selling. Plus, we still have Splatoon 3, Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and some third party games coming this year.

I am starting to think there's no way Switch won't reach PS4 numbers.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
aikohualda said:

holiday 2023 or mid 2024

Even if the successor comes next holidays, Switch will probably still outsell the PS4.

I mean, PS4 is only 15 million ahead of Switch, and we can see how great Switch is selling. Plus, we still have Splatoon 3, Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and some third party games coming this year.

Im just thinking... like how they did Wii U. imagine a surprised announcement from nintendo saying... Switch 2 will be out by April that will have Metroid prime, splatoon 3, BOTW 2 as a release games like how switch and wii u had BOTW.

But yeah i want switch to outsell original gameboy :)

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Right now I am thinking holidays 2024. Nintendo has been very slow at getting new Switch games out and their planned expansion of human resources is only beginning to materialize now in 2022, so it will still take at least a couple of years until that can really benefit Nintendo's overall software output.

Next gen hardware is supposed to have prettier games for many of Nintendo's key IPs, so when Nintendo is already struggling to get games out for the current Switch in a timely manner, there's absolutely no point in targeting a launch timeframe for Switch's successor any earlier than holidays 2024. People have to remember that Nintendo will have to build the new installed base almost exclusively by themselves again, so Nintendo needs to be well-prepared. Also worth noting is that many third parties took quite some time to get around to support Switch properly, so from that perspective there's no point in rushing out a Switch successor either. They are too occupied with game development that targets late 2022, 2023 and even 2024 to be remotely close to being prepared for an early Switch successor launch.

Instead of 2027 and beyond, you should have had infinity and beyond, for the rest I agree with 2024 but march rather than holidays but that may be  a little early so I'm hedging my bets with March or holidays 2024 followed by March 2025.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 January 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
aikohualda said:

holiday 2023 or mid 2024

Switch will pass the PS4 it's inevitable now, even if they cut it's legs to the same degree that Sony did with the PS4.

Holiday 2024 earliest, sometime in 2025 latest.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

aikohualda said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Im just thinking... like how they did Wii U. imagine a surprised announcement from nintendo saying... Switch 2 will be out by April that will have Metroid prime, splatoon 3, BOTW 2 as a release games like how switch and wii u had BOTW.

But yeah i want switch to outsell original gameboy :)

That's... Not actually impossible if Nintendo wants to continue porting their most successful games to their new systems.

RolStoppable said:

Right now I am thinking holidays 2024. Nintendo has been very slow at getting new Switch games out and their planned expansion of human resources is only beginning to materialize now in 2022, so it will still take at least a couple of years until that can really benefit Nintendo's overall software output.

Next gen hardware is supposed to have prettier games for many of Nintendo's key IPs, so when Nintendo is already struggling to get games out for the current Switch in a timely manner, there's absolutely no point in targeting a launch timeframe for Switch's successor any earlier than holidays 2024. People have to remember that Nintendo will have to build the new installed base almost exclusively by themselves again, so Nintendo needs to be well-prepared. Also worth noting is that many third parties took quite some time to get around to support Switch properly, so from that perspective there's no point in rushing out a Switch successor either. They are too occupied with game development that targets late 2022, 2023 and even 2024 to be remotely close to being prepared for an early Switch successor launch.

They will have to rely on building the base by themselves as usual but this time unless they have some radical design change that precludes BC they have the Switch software to help support that building, but having said that I agree it not just about having the hardware ready, it takes years to prepare the software development so you aren't just selling hardware, it can be seen in the expectations put on both the PS5 and Xbox Series with the early gen conversation being less about 3rd party and more about first party enticement and keeping customers or should I say consumers locked into those platforms with those being seen as the important drivers in building up the next gen.