By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What year will the Switch successor release?

 

What year will Switch successor release?

2022 2 2.41%
 
2023 13 15.66%
 
2024 48 57.83%
 
2025 16 19.28%
 
2026 3 3.61%
 
2027 & Beyond 1 1.20%
 
Total:83

Q4 2024 seems the best period: not too early, to avoid missing strong sales as the main product, including posponed ones from the pandemic logistic difficulties, neither too late, to keep the brand strong enough during the transition. Careful timing can give NS over 135M lifetime sales, minimising pandemic damage (that Ninty managed to control far better than competitors anyway).



Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 
 


Around the Network
hinch said:
RolStoppable said:

Are they?

From last year. Unless this guy has some 11 or more bad sources..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-29/nintendo-switch-4k-developers-make-games-for-nonexistent-console

I no longer consider Bloomberg a reliable source for gaming news.  They had us all believing the OLED model would be a 4k Switch.



Switch has now sold over 100 million units and NIntendo knows well that PS5 and XSX will release big shots this year, so holidays 2023 is my bet for Switch 2 4K!



I'd prefer a 2023 release but wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo rides the Switch out until 2024. As long as their next hardware is BC to Switch games, that's really what I mainly care about.



I can't see anyone realistically believing that Nintendo will replace the Switch this year.  The Switch has big games on this year's release schedule, has sold over 20 million consoles the last 2 consecutive years, and has remained in demand without ever receiving a single global price cut from its MSRP.  By contrast, the PS4 had dipped to 14.7m consoles sold the year before the PS5 launched.  Meanwhile, the global supply chain is expected to continue to be disrupted for the majority of 2022.  At times, Nintendo has not even been able to meet demand with the current # of Switches they can produce.  So, not only does Nintendo not need to replace the Switch yet, it's not even a good time to do it.  Especially since Nintendo themselves announced they are reducing their hardware forecast, specifically citing "the effects of the global semiconductor shortage".  

There is no rationale for Nintendo to drop a Switch successor onto the market this year with all of those points in mind.  If they were, we would have heard something from Nintendo by now, and yet not even a codename for their next system has been mentioned.  I pointed out in another thread (https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345043) regarding this same subject, that Nintendo has historically spent over a year (and in most cases, over 2 years) talking about their hardware prior to its release.  For that reason, I selected 2024 in the poll as the earliest year I could see a Switch successor releasing.  It's possible that they could target holiday 2023, but I'm not ready to put any stock in that until we hear the first peep from Nintendo about it.



Around the Network

So the "Pro" model theory has totally been dropped? If so, I'm glad. I agree with Mandalore76, the shortage must have seriously hampered plans and essentially make a 2022 release next to impossible, which, on one hand, is unfortunate because a lot of games just don't run well.



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Late 2023 or March 2024, methinks.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

hinch said:

From last year. Unless this guy has some 11 or more bad sources..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-29/nintendo-switch-4k-developers-make-games-for-nonexistent-console

I no longer consider Bloomberg a reliable source for gaming news. They had us all believing the OLED model would be a 4k Switch.

That's not necessarily an indicative of a bad source. Plans change, things are misinterpreted. It's more likely that someone mistakenly conflated the Switch's sucessor with the Oled model somewhere along the leaking pipeline.



 

 

 

 

 

holiday 2023 or mid 2024
If they release this year, I wonder if they would ever catch up with ps4 numbers.



 

aikohualda said:

holiday 2023 or mid 2024
If they release this year, I wonder if they would ever catch up with ps4 numbers.

Even if the successor comes next holidays, Switch will probably still outsell the PS4.

I mean, PS4 is only 15 million ahead of Switch, and we can see how great Switch is selling. Plus, we still have Splatoon 3, Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and some third party games coming this year.

I am starting to think there's no way Switch won't reach PS4 numbers.



I have a Youtube channel... A Twitter, and... Yeah.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
aikohualda said:

holiday 2023 or mid 2024
If they release this year, I wonder if they would ever catch up with ps4 numbers.

Even if the successor comes next holidays, Switch will probably still outsell the PS4.

I mean, PS4 is only 15 million ahead of Switch, and we can see how great Switch is selling. Plus, we still have Splatoon 3, Zelda and Metroid Prime 4 and some third party games coming this year.

I am starting to think there's no way Switch won't reach PS4 numbers.

Im just thinking... like how they did Wii U. imagine a surprised announcement from nintendo saying... Switch 2 will be out by April that will have Metroid prime, splatoon 3, BOTW 2 as a release games like how switch and wii u had BOTW.

But yeah i want switch to outsell original gameboy :)