By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playtonic making a sequel to Yooka Laylee (2017)

While the studio of former Rare devs may have switched to 2D for 2019's excellent Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, they are apparently now working on a direct successor to the 3D original.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/playtonics-original-yooka-laylee-game-is-getting-a-follow-up-title

Around the Network

Cool, I liked the first one. Don't get the hate it gets, I want more platformers like this.

I love what they were able to accomplish with the first considering their size and budget. Never finished it, though probably made it 3/5 or more through it.

With the increased funding I'm hoping for a more polished experience!

Haven't played the original yet, but I loved The Impossible Lair.

Always excited for a new 3D platformer, but Playtonic is 0 for 2 with me. Hope this one will buck the trend.

Around the Network

Huh. That’s surprising. The first game was well-meaning but ultimately mediocre. The sequel, conversely, was quite good. I figured they’d stick with 2D moving forward.

They should have made something new instead, YL are mediocre characters in a mediocre Universum. With new characters and a new 3D platform game in a new gameplaystyle could be something to look forward to.

First one was pretty good. Will certainly play this direct sequel.

Bristow9091 said:
konnichiwa said:

They should have made something new instead, YL are mediocre characters in a mediocre Universum. With new characters and a new 3D platform game in a new gameplaystyle could be something to look forward to.

Couldn't the same be said about Banjo Kazooie then? Since Yooka Laylee is pretty much a BK game reskinned lol. Besides, they've already given them a new playstyle with Impossible Layer being a 2D platformer akin to Donkey Kong Country. The way I see it they've got proper financial backing now, so a new Yooka Laylee won't have to take shortcuts and whatnot like the original which was crowdfunded.

Well the characters and Universe are mediocre,  BK and its universe has a certain charm to it while YL feels like the end product of a rival TV producer who wants to create a similar hit. Funding wasn't the issue but the concept.   Rare was wise to work on other things like Donkey Kong,Mickey speedway/Perfect dark/Jet force gemini.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do something with a new Universe. YL 2 can come later.

Bristow9091 said:
konnichiwa said:

Couldn't the same be said about Banjo Kazooie then? Since Yooka Laylee is pretty much a BK game reskinned lol. Besides, they've already given them a new playstyle with Impossible Layer being a 2D platformer akin to Donkey Kong Country. The way I see it they've got proper financial backing now, so a new Yooka Laylee won't have to take shortcuts and whatnot like the original which was crowdfunded.

Banjo Kazooie are iconic duo, flawlessly designed. And the first game had an incredible set of worlds to explore and hilarious characters to meet. I'm overall happy that they're giving it another shot in 3D, but I don't think Yoka/Laylee are very good from a design or gameplay standpoint. The gameplay part can be ironed out but design wise they're certainly no match for the original characters they take inspiration from. Wouldve liked a new set of characters but fully see why they're continue to build YK brand. If they fix the feel of the characters movement, the decent but meh design won't get in the way of my enjoyment.