By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hating Game Pass Makes You Look Foolish

Ryuu96 said:

"As I pointed out, fast food chains also have higher quality, healthier meals as well. Though as I said, that's not the norm and not what most people come to order though."

That's not typically the norm and their 'healthier' meals tend to simply be 'the least bad' rather than actually being healthy for you, fast food for the most part isn't designed to be healthy, it's fast food for a reason, and as you said, hardly anyone goes to fast food for the 'healthy' options.

As for the game scores, how many people think those scores are close to where they should be, or even matter whatsoever? There's been some huge controversy over some games and their far too high, or to low scores. Which scores are accurate enough, and what exactly are we comparing those scores to?

Meh, I pointed out the critic scores because one of your arguments was "quality ratio" but it's clear that was entirely your own opinion and not based on anything else so we might as well move on from that, I don't want to get into a debate on reviewers credibility which then makes this part of the argument entirely opinion based.

"If you want the special, it's cheaper, though not fast food cheap. Fast food tends to have an even cheaper menu like the "Dollar Menu". Just a dollar for what they're offering."

Cool, that sounds like Gaming, which has cheap deals everywhere, there is literally memes about how fast Ubisoft's titles plummet in price quickly after launch or how many cheap deals Steam usually promotes, not to mention the 2nd hand market.

"Didn't a console brand increase the price of it's games this gen? Did it do that because of the high quality AAA experiences they're known for? Can some of those games be AA, or A, experience? Do more palatable/fancy restaurants offer some lesser sized, lesser quality meals, though far pricier than a fast food meal?"

Seems here you're changing the argument back to quality in parts but I've established that's entirely your opinion so I'll ignore that part. As for offering A/AA/AAA experiences, that is something which Game Pass does. Your quality argument is entirely subjective to you and your scale argument falls flat which leaves us with only the price argument and we've already established that food prices hardly ever drop in price, there are games that are offered at various price points too, which all eventually drop in price.

"Console experiences are for the masses."

Like fast food then?

"Isn't entertainment consumed? Isn't food consumed? That argument can easily be made. Just like how Netflix is 'let us entertain you', while gaming is, 'let us help you entertain yourself'. Sony Interactive Entertainment vs Sony Pictures Entertainment. That's not just coincidence."

Really stretching the definitions of consumed to imply that both mean the same here, food is not 'consumed' in the same way that entertainment is. The Entertainment industry is the Entertainment industry, eating food is not the Entertainment industry, it's really that simple and why comparing two vastly different markets is silly, from a business/consumer/market/financial perspective.

I'll say again that those $1 Game Pass deals are only for new users, they are designed to hook you into the ecosystem, they're unlikely to last forever, Game Pass base price will likely increase in price eventually, just as Netflix went from being relatively cheap to increasing in price.

Game Pass is compared to Netflix for the reasons I stated above but I even said that even that is not an exact 1-1 comparison but it is still a far better comparison than comparing Game Pass to the food industry, Lol.

I'm not sure why you think those memes help your argument, especially when those memes are fast food branded and Sony does the exact same branding, you're basically providing me with even more evidence to say that Gaming in general is closer to the fast food industry over higher end dining and it isn't specific to Game Pass.

Anything can be stretched enough to compare it to something else.

"That's not typically the norm and their 'healthier' meals tend to simply be 'the least bad' rather than actually being healthy for you, fast food for the most part isn't designed to be healthy, it's fast food for a reason, and as you said, hardly anyone goes to fast food for the 'healthy' options."

Correct. You're onto this one as well. Healthier, though not as healthy as other food/meals, and not the healthiest. I also didn't say more palatable/fancy restaurants have the highest tier healthiest food/meals either.

"Meh, I pointed out the critic scores because one of your arguments was "quality ratio" but it's clear that was entirely your own opinion and not based on anything else so we might as well move on from that, I don't want to get into a debate on reviewers credibility which then makes this part of the argument entirely opinion based."

Who comes up with the scores? Do they refrain from using opinion? What makes their opinions correct? Does everyone agree with them? I agree it lacks merit here, especially since it wasn't compared to anything else. Comparisons apparently aren't XB's thing anymore though, so.

"Cool, that sounds like Gaming, which has cheap deals everywhere, there is literally memes about how fast Ubisoft's titles plummet in price quickly after launch or how many cheap deals Steam usually promotes, not to mention the 2nd hand market."

Not everywhere. Some brands take their best games and add them to their gaming subscription service day 1, for no extra cost, while others charge you $70 for a year or two before dropping the price, then sometimes adding it to their gaming subscription service.

"Seems here you're changing the argument back to quality in parts but I've established that's entirely your opinion so I'll ignore that part. As for offering A/AA/AAA experiences, that is something which Game Pass does. Your quality argument is entirely subjective to you and your scale argument falls flat which leaves us with only the price argument and we've already established that food prices hardly ever drop in price, there are games that are offered at various price points too, which all eventually drop in price."

Your earlier point was about luxury dining being so expensive and that not being the case for gaming, and that general luxury dining crowd vs general gaming crowd would be very different people. I was never talking about exquisite luxury dining. You then took that to mean gamers could only be comparable to fast food then. There's an in between, which is more palatable/fancy restaurants, that are more costly than fast food, but cheaper than exquisite luxury dining.

"Like fast food then?"

So the masses only ever go out to eat at fast food joints?

"Really stretching the definitions of consumed to imply that both mean the same here, food is not 'consumed' in the same way that entertainment is. The Entertainment industry is the Entertainment industry, eating food is not the Entertainment industry, it's really that simple and why comparing two vastly different markets is silly, from a business/consumer/market/financial perspective."

Your earlier point was entertainment is entertainment. It's not. Sitting and watching a TV show or movie is considerably different than gaming. One requires interaction, the other doesn't. Again, why do you think SNY has that split within the company if it's just all the same?

"I'll say again that those $1 Game Pass deals are only for new users, they are designed to hook you into the ecosystem, they're unlikely to last forever, Game Pass base price will likely increase in price eventually, just as Netflix went from being relatively cheap to increasing in price."

"Game Pass is compared to Netflix for the reasons I stated above but I even said that even that is not an exact 1-1 comparison but it is still a far better comparison than comparing Game Pass to the food industry, Lol."

Is the dollar menu meant for everyone? Is it causing fast food to go out of business because the majority only order from it? Is it also there to perhaps hook you into the chain? Has fast food gone up in price since it's inception? 

"I'm not sure why you think those memes help your argument, especially when those memes are fast food branded and Sony does the exact same branding, you're basically providing me with even more evidence to say that Gaming in general is closer to the fast food industry over higher end dining and it isn't specific to Game Pass."

Did I ever say that more palatable/fancy restaurants don't offer cheaper quality lesser meals? No cheap greasy French fries and burgers at either type of establishment? Where are all the $70 XB blockbusters that SNY fans are so salty about due to being must have's or just clearly far surpassing SNY's quality output?

I knew they wouldn't 'help' for the most part, just like the words as well. No matter what some people say or do, it'll never be 'helpful' as per certain others. That's fine. If they don't want my help, no problem.

"Anything can be stretched enough to compare it to something else."

Just call me Stretch Headstrong!

Anything can be said to be useless, inaccurate, misinformation, etc, as well.

Around the Network

EricHiggin said:

Did I ever say that more palatable/fancy restaurants don't offer cheaper quality lesser meals? No cheap greasy French fries and burgers at either type of establishment? Where are all the $70 XB blockbusters that SNY fans are so salty about due to being must have's or just clearly far surpassing SNY's quality output?

Apparently you have been convinced that price equals quality. I mean, if you truly believe that the fact that Returnal and Ratchet & Clank were released at $70 somehow makes them a more "AAA experience" than FH5 and Flight Simulator then I guess there's not much to say.

Snif snif do you guys smell that smelly smell? That smelly smell that smells, like when you go fishing?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

chakkra said:

EricHiggin said:

Apparently you have been convinced that price equals quality. I mean, if you truly believe that the fact that Returnal and Ratchet & Clank were released at $70 somehow makes them a more "AAA experience" than FH5 and Flight Simulator then I guess there's not much to say.

Yeah that is another bizarre take. For me it has had the opposite effect, there’s no way I am paying $70 for games that to me are worth maybe half that. It’s an even worse value when you consider what GamePass offers. Why would I pay $70 for Ratchet or Returnal when I can play Wasteland 3, Horizon 5, Halo, Psychonauts, Gears 5/Tactics, etc, all superior games imho, for nothing on top of the subscription. 

zero129 said:
smroadkill15 said:

That's total cool. Game Pass isn't for everyone and I get that. It's just funny when some start throwing around bs like; "game pass is bad for the industry" and "the games are all gaas" or whatever other crap takes they can think of. 

They keep saying that but yet the is so far no proof of it. Its like how people say TV shows have gotten worse thanks to streaming services etc etc, yet imo TV shows have gotten better then most movies since they are hitting a bigger audience then they ever did before and mostly at the same time all around the world and that means bigger budgets.; Id love for anyone here to tell me what was the best TV shows before netflix and streaming etc took off?.

This Gaas shit is so stupid its not even funny as if everyone who is subscribed or is going to subscribe to GP is into Gass games. I mean if that was the case it would work out better for them to buy the game then use a subscription service for it..

This is just not true about TV.  Audiences are more fragmented than ever before.  Nothing today compares to the numbers old network shows did.  Over 60% of households watched the finale for MASH.  Over 40% watched the finale for Seinfeld.  Nothing (except for a few live sporting events) does those numbers anymore since there are so many different channels and streaming services.

Quality is a completely different conversation, and is going to heavily depend on individual tastes.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

It's definitely a great service. Not for me at the moment but it doesn't take away from the incredible value proposition it offers. It is a viable option down the line when I want to play something like TES6 without investing into Xbox hardware but I can access it on my SmartTV via an app. The only problem I have with Game Pass is the conversations about it being the future of the industry when none of the metrics back that up. The Xbox platform doing better does not indicate a shift in the industry. This is a service that has been around since 2017 and benefitted with COVID restrictions that boosted all sorts of subscription services including PS Plus.

It can surely impact how the mass market buys and consumes games, but until we see actual evidence of that, like console hardware and software sales declining, decreased engagement with the Playstation ecosystem while engagement in the Xbox ecosystem is through the roof, or major third parties putting their most popular titles on the service, which would indicate better revenue/profit on a subscription service compared to the traditional console model, questions about how successful a video game subscription can be compared to other mainstream subscriptions will remain. The interactivity when it comes to playing video games, the time investment needed, the booming F2P market, overall more big players in the market, these are variables that are exclusive to the gaming industry, and tied to the success a subscription service could achieve in this medium.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 28 November 2021

theRepublic said:

This is just not true about TV.  Audiences are more fragmented than ever before.  Nothing today compares to the numbers old network shows did.  Over 60% of households watched the finale for MASH.  Over 40% watched the finale for Seinfeld.  Nothing (except for a few live sporting events) does those numbers anymore since there are so many different channels and streaming services.

Quality is a completely different conversation, and is going to heavily depend on individual tastes.

But you get to stream shows from all over the world now. (And find out it's all just the same with different paint)

Quality is subjective, but stuff like Tiger King and Squid game, not that good imo. It's got the shock factor but just as much toe cringe factor. However it can be watched world wide afaik. But indeed, very fragmented, making it much harder to make something culturally relevant for your target audience.

SvennoJ said:
theRepublic said:

But you get to stream shows from all over the world now. (And find out it's all just the same with different paint)

Quality is subjective, but stuff like Tiger King and Squid game, not that good imo. It's got the shock factor but just as much toe cringe factor. However it can be watched world wide afaik. But indeed, very fragmented, making it much harder to make something culturally relevant for your target audience.

See? That's the thing. I found Squid Game to be REALLY good. Certainly a lot better than 90% of the examples of "best TV shows" that you gave back there.

chakkra said:

See? That's the thing. I found Squid Game to be REALLY good. Certainly a lot better than 90% of the examples of "best TV shows" that you gave back there.

Part of it was really good, part of it was really bad. I watched it in Korean, yet the parts where they speak English are so terribly voice acted it ruins the whole show. They should have just focused on the participants and leave the investor or whatever part out of it. Very inconsistent. A show like Criminal minds was much more interesting imo.

I don't think it makes you foolish as we all have our preferences. However its the best value for gaming for the consumers. From my experience, i have tried so many games that i wouldn't havr known or tried