By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hating Game Pass Makes You Look Foolish

chakkra said:
twintail said:

Interesting charts. But, how popular is Xbox on PC? Does it make up a sizeable percentage of the overall Gamepass user numbers? If Gamepass PC is a minority, then sales being strong on Steam aren't surprising. 

Likewise, what are sales like on Xbox consoles themselves? 

I'm not suggesting that these game can't sell well despite being on gamepass, or that their budgets will be affected negatively. But I do think that without more context into gamepass, it's userbase, and the relation between sales and user numbers, it's difficult to get an accurate picture of how different elements are related to one another.

I'm struggling to follow your point here, I mean, maybe these games are selling bcuz Game Pass PC is just a tiny number, maybe they are selling bcuz Steam users just can't stop themselves from buying from that store; you can pick whatever reason you find more acceptable to you but at the end of the day, the games are selling and bringing in revenue, which is the point I was trying to make, these games do not rely solely on Game Pass.

Your point was easily understood. I'm not refuting it by any means. I'm posing questions about data that will be able to add to the discussion.

For my point is quite simply that greater GP adoption may not necessarily result in continued strong sales these games are getting on PC.

If you're suggesting that this revenue will continue to exist, will this necessarily be the case if GP adoption continues and explodes on PC?

Around the Network

For me it's simple. I would buy Forza Horizon 5, MS flight sim and Halo Infinite at or close to launch, very likely, paying full price for them. These three games only already covered the cost of my 12 mo GP ultimate sub. But the thing is, that I've already played 11 other XB games + 3 PC games from the GP library this year. There's no way in hell, I'd be able to afford all of them this year, even if every single one of them would be 50% off their launch price. Not to mention that it comes with XB gold and their free games + other discounts if I'd like to purchase games individually. Or, if you already pay £4 per month for XB live gold (with the 12-month sub), the GP ulimate will cost you £7 per month (it's £11 in the UK). 

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 25 November 2021

There's a right to not like gamepass , It's games library feels 90% western and 10% japanese except the big ones , Microsoft will never fix this , and I'm throwing the towel , Microsoft is too western and compared to Xbox 360 years in 2010 I always wanted Xbox to be more asian friendly than Xbox 360 , I started seeing too many western games on switch too now making it harder to navigate japanese games .

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

EricHiggin said:

I wouldn't say hating fast food makes anyone look foolish.

Some would rather, or prefer to sit down and eat at a more palatable or fancy restaurant chain and spend a little extra if they have to for that. This tends to limit your consumption to a degree however. Some have the means to gorge though.
Others are fine, or prefer sitting down or driving thru a fast food chain, since it's cheap, easy, and quick. Which also tends to mean you can eat more if you like due to the low cost and less filling meals. Some don't have the means though, so a number one, will have to suffice.

Both have their upsides and downsides. I think very few would really want to live in a world with only one or the other. Each has their place in their own way. Why not have it your way?

Except games like Wasteland 3, Horizon 4, Gears 5, Infinite, Horizon 5, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Gears Tactics, etc are items you’d find on the menu at that “fancy restaurant chain” and GP users get them day one at no extra cost. And you can take your sweet time and savor them because they never leave the service.

Oh and then if you’re in the mood for “fast food” it also has you covered with games like Madden, Battletoads, Bleeding Edge, all that Japanese junk, Exo One, Sunset Overdrive, Destiny, Deeeer Simulator, UFC, Gang Beasts, etc etc. 

Its really more like a Michelin star establishment that also has a McDonalds on the side that people can drive thru.

LudicrousSpeed said:
EricHiggin said:

I wouldn't say hating fast food makes anyone look foolish.

Some would rather, or prefer to sit down and eat at a more palatable or fancy restaurant chain and spend a little extra if they have to for that. This tends to limit your consumption to a degree however. Some have the means to gorge though.
Others are fine, or prefer sitting down or driving thru a fast food chain, since it's cheap, easy, and quick. Which also tends to mean you can eat more if you like due to the low cost and less filling meals. Some don't have the means though, so a number one, will have to suffice.

Both have their upsides and downsides. I think very few would really want to live in a world with only one or the other. Each has their place in their own way. Why not have it your way?

Except games like Wasteland 3, Horizon 4, Gears 5, Infinite, Horizon 5, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Gears Tactics, etc are items you’d find on the menu at that “fancy restaurant chain” and GP users get them day one at no extra cost. And you can take your sweet time and savor them because they never leave the service.

Oh and then if you’re in the mood for “fast food” it also has you covered with games like Madden, Battletoads, Bleeding Edge, all that Japanese junk, Exo One, Sunset Overdrive, Destiny, Deeeer Simulator, UFC, Gang Beasts, etc etc. 

Its really more like a Michelin star establishment that also has a McDonalds on the side that people can drive thru.

Like how a palatable/fancy restaurant chain will have at least a few less healthy options, though that's not what's typically ordered?

Like how a fast food chain will have at least a few healthier options, though that's not what's typically ordered?

Around the Network
zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

House, The Mentalist, Boston Legal, Bones, CSI (it's back, but crap), Firefly, The Big bang theory, Dexter, Pushing Daisies, Breaking bad, Lost, Chuck, 24, Heroes, Monk, NCIS (also crap now), The Sopranos, The Office, Will & Grace, Flight of the Concords, Law & Order various (crap now), Star Trek: Enterprise, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate: Infinity, Fringe.

Probably missed a bunch.

Ok, other then Bones, CSI (Was never that good any ways) firefly was great and i bet would off lasted another few seasons if it was on a streaming service to show how good it was, Lost did get lost, 24 ok i hand you that, the sopranos too. As for the rest what did they do that we are still not seeing now?.

Most of the other stuff on your list was not with the budgets or as high quality as we are seeing now, and the small few left only took off proper after they where on streaming and maybe if they where on streaming to begin with would of lasted longer, so what exactly has streaming made worse? or am i really going to have to post a list of great tv shows that have come after streaming?

Subjective maybe, but objectively we don't watch much anymore. And yes, there might still be good shows, but they are fragmented on different streaming services. We're still subscribed to cable for the live stuff and Netflix for the one streaming service. Limited choice now compared to having pretty much everything on cable before streaming. And annoyingly our internet sucks during prime time, so even the few things we both like on Netflix we often can't watch together after the kids are in bed.

But maybe you have a lists of good stuff we can watch. Light hearted stuff, my wife did absolutely not enjoy squid game. It's not the casual violence, Happy season 1 was good, it's the tone that's different.

Anyway correlation is, we watched a lot more together before streaming took off.

EricHiggin said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Like how a palatable/fancy restaurant chain will have at least a few less healthy options, though that's not what's typically ordered?

Like how a fast food chain will have at least a few healthier options, though that's not what's typically ordered?

Your already weak analogy is getting worse as you try to stretch it further. If you want to compare it to a restaurant, it offers everything you want from a “fancy chain” as you put it. And offers great appetizers. Hope that helps.

twintail said:
chakkra said:

I'm struggling to follow your point here, I mean, maybe these games are selling bcuz Game Pass PC is just a tiny number, maybe they are selling bcuz Steam users just can't stop themselves from buying from that store; you can pick whatever reason you find more acceptable to you but at the end of the day, the games are selling and bringing in revenue, which is the point I was trying to make, these games do not rely solely on Game Pass.

Your point was easily understood. I'm not refuting it by any means. I'm posing questions about data that will be able to add to the discussion.

For my point is quite simply that greater GP adoption may not necessarily result in continued strong sales these games are getting on PC.

If you're suggesting that this revenue will continue to exist, will this necessarily be the case if GP adoption continues and explodes on PC?

I see your point now, but you're still forgetting something; Even if we envision a future where every single Xbox owner (and fans of MS's games on PC) would stop buying games and decided to just subscribe to GP, that would translate into an insanely high subcriptions revenue (I mean, we would be talking 50m+ of users) not to mention that that is an extremely unlikely scenario.

Shinobi-san said:
smroadkill15 said:

Why worry about its sustainability instead of enjoying the service for what it offers? It's such a silly thing to worry about when this is MS after all. They are clearly very dedicated to the growth of Game Pass and there is zero indication of them dropping the service any time soon. Especially after a huge purchase like Zenimax/Bethesda, it only reinforces their long-term commitment. 

Err this is the topic of the thread? This is my opinion. It has nothing to do about not enjoying the service. This is a ridiculous response.

I have no concerns about MS dropping the service, didn't say that. Its about maintaining quality, not dropping the service.

But I still don't understand where does your concern come from because we have already seen an increase in revenue since Game Pass came into the picture. I mean, why would MS cut the budgets for their games when they are obviously making more money than before? Heck, I'm convinced GP was the sole reason that convinced MS's higher ups to invest $8b in a single year.

I won't be adding (much) to the revenue, but the deal is too good to pass on. $1 for 3 months for PC. I turned recurring billing off, good till Februari 24th. If I get hooked by then I can always extend it. I thought I couldn't get the $1 deal anymore (already used a couple years ago) but it must reset after a while. Now with 2 extra months.

Question: Do I need the XBox app and what do I do about this

It's been like that for 20 minutes, not doing anything. Can I safely kill it or will it screw things up.
It's still active in the task manager using CPU and RAM, but not accessing any files nor the internet.

I quit it, restarted it and it says it can't sign me in. I can sign into my XBox live account on XBox.com, but the app gives 0x87DD005 error code. Which gives nothing https://support.xbox.com/en-US/search?errorCode=0x87DD0005 and I can sign in on that page.

5th time is the charm, signed in. It let me select a drive to install FH5, progress :)

Or not, it took space of my drive but is not installing anything and the Install button is back. I got a locked folder now on my D: Drive, WindowsApps. Denied access as adminstrator. I thought they changed that, WTF.

How do I get my drive space back, how do you get it to install. Ugh already regretting this.

I clicked install again, then it let me click view progress (which I couldn't find anywhere) and it is actually installing FH5.
UI experience is atrocious, but what can you expect for $1 :) 33% done. I cancelled the second install, hopefully things work out.

Might as well pre-install Halo Infinite campaign, check it out if it's worth waiting for co-op for. Requires Unknown disk space (released dec 8). Could at least give me a ballpark figure!

Oddly, much better download speed through the XBox App than the FS2020 installer. It's maxing out my 100 mbps connection, no issues there. (It's listed as SVChost.exe processes, hence I couldn't find it first. The XBox App is only sending/receiving a couple bytes now and then)

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 25 November 2021