By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hating Game Pass Makes You Look Foolish

Ryuu96 said:

Why on Earth are we comparing Game Pass to the culinary industry

EricHiggin said:

Your weak understanding of it is getting worse as you try to sweep it under. Is an explanation to a misunderstanding now to be known as stretching it, and not further explanation in the form of a reply? So many reaching for the moon in that case.

Do fancy restaurants market themselves as the best deal in the industry? All you can eat for as cheap as possible? Do they only offer typical utensils for consuming that food and not the extra's that add to the experience? Do they change their menu (asap) in a response to compete with fast food directly?

Who offers the "Dollar Menu"?

This is a silly comparison to begin with but I also think you're both arguing based on different thoughts of what you consider to be fast food/high end.

Ludicrous seems to be arguing based on the variety of content + quality, essentially, Game Pass offers a 'quick cheap meal' (or w/e) but also offers 'higher end meals' too (essentially offers small and big budget titles of various quality). While it seems like you're basing a lot of your argument purely on the price of the service.

I don't think comparing the two is that useful, these are two vastly different markets, if we were going to use the 'price' argument than I would honestly say Gaming overall is closer to a 'fast food' joint than a high end restaurant, heck, a Chinese from a random fast food place alone can cost me up to £30-£40 and food prices don't plummet weeks/months after launch, Lol.

No I'm comparing it on different levels, like quality ratio, price, general customers, along with other 'coincidental' similarities. I'm basically being told that's incorrect because GP is chalk full of expensive blockbusters that are simply all being sold dirt cheap for eternity.

The problem is that my initial post was somehow way too controversial in reference to the thread topic.

EricHiggin said:

I wouldn't say hating fast food makes anyone look foolish.

Some would rather, or prefer to sit down and eat at a more palatable or fancy restaurant chain and spend a little extra if they have to for that. This tends to limit your consumption to a degree however. Some have the means to gorge though.
Others are fine, or prefer sitting down or driving thru a fast food chain, since it's cheap, easy, and quick. Which also tends to mean you can eat more if you like due to the low cost and less filling meals. Some don't have the means though, so a number one, will have to suffice.

Both have their upsides and downsides. I think very few would really want to live in a world with only one or the other. Each has their place in their own way. Why not have it your way?

One might ask why would you ever compare Netflix to gaming? Why would anyone ever attempt to merge them like there could be some common ground? The idea is clearly ridiculous so there's no reason for anyone to pay it any attention. To do so would be ludicrously useless.

Around the Network

Reading this thread makes me not want to eat out anymore.

EricHiggin said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Your already weak analogy is getting worse as you try to stretch it further. If you want to compare it to a restaurant, it offers everything you want from a “fancy chain” as you put it. And offers great appetizers. Hope that helps.

Your weak understanding of it is getting worse as you try to sweep it under. Is an explanation to a misunderstanding now to be known as stretching it, and not further explanation in the form of a reply? So many reaching for the moon in that case.

Do fancy restaurants market themselves as the best deal in the industry? All you can eat for as cheap as possible? Do they only offer typical utensils for consuming that food and not the extra's that add to the experience? Do they change their menu (asap) in a response to compete with fast food directly?

Who offers the "Dollar Menu"?

Can a Michelin star restaurant offer me Halo Infinite MP to be played on the most powerful console ever? No? Analogy ruined. 

Also there was nothing “controversial” about your first post, it was just not well thought out and made zero sense. Because, as I pointed out, GamePass is had loads of highly rated bangers that never leave the service. You compared the offering to a fast food chain full of quick cheap stuff. That’s not controversial it’s just plain incorrect ?

zero129 said:

Honestly dude if i was having as many problems as you do when it comes to PC gaming i really would go back to consoles, so fairplay to you for sticking with it cause id just give up.

Now you understand my love for consoles!

Installing the latest driver fixed the control panel as well, not crashing anymore. The other problem I had was my brain fart. I was trying to get it to work with the wrong wired XBox controller. A release controller, not compatible with windows. After I found the right one, it works :)

It’s a good deal overall, I can try out games I’m interested in and then if I like them I can just buy them when they go on sale. My only worry is if they will be able to keep up the quality of the service in the future as there is more competition and costs go up.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

Now you understand my love for consoles!

Installing the latest driver fixed the control panel as well, not crashing anymore. The other problem I had was my brain fart. I was trying to get it to work with the wrong wired XBox controller. A release controller, not compatible with windows. After I found the right one, it works :)

100% i can understand that. Like i was saying if i was having so much shitty luck id never want to look at a PC again.

But saying that user faults aint really PC's fault (Except for the MS store can be funky). I mean i have often seen people have problems when it comes to PC sometimes but for you its just one thing after another. Its like when it comes to PC nothing will just work for you without you having to do a big run around.

Oh well thank god its not like that for most PC users or maybe PC gaming really would be dying instead of growing.

You haven't met my wife yet. By now we're convinced she must have some kind of EMP field around her as electronics and her don't. No matter what laptop I buy it will crash on her. Same with her iPhone, random lock ups, always problems with internet, wifi and 4g. I have to reset the Netgear router at least once a day. The pvr crashes often when she uses it or won't respond. And all that works for me. I take over and it's fine...

So it can be a lot worse than my experience lol. But we're quite the pair, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, repeatedly.

zero129 said:

Wow you guys are cursed xD, honestly would it be one of them things where if you think its going to go wrong it will?. Like that book "The Secret" or whatever its called??, Anyways it says how what we think we make real, so if we see our self's always having bad luck and things going wrong they do?.

It has been my job to find everything that can go wrong, or rather that's part of programming good software. It's 'automatic', I can't help but be debugging FS2020 as much as I fly around lol.

Bad luck is one thing, whatever remote you're holding acting up (we have gone through dozens) is a pattern. It's a mystery. And the youngest seems to have inherited it since I have to reinstall the printer driver on his laptop all the time. He has the same laptop, same software as his brother. One works fine, the other acts up a lot. Mystery.

And I couldn't help myself but to access the windowsapps directory and take a peek. Wow, 39 thousand files for 3 games. And I thought the installation of FS2020 was messy. Dunno which one is FH5 (also have Halfo Infinite campaign and Snowrunner installed) Browsing through the list there are a lot of garments. For example:
2021-11-15 03:25 PM 397,419 GARMENT_Upper_Tshirt_02_Tuck_F.zip
2021-11-15 03:25 PM 184,470 GARMENT_Upper_Tshirt_02_Tuck_F_AI.zip
2021-11-15 03:25 PM 353,135 GARMENT_Upper_Tshirt_02_Tuck_M.zip
2021-11-15 03:25 PM 161,979 GARMENT_Upper_Tshirt_02_Tuck_M_AI.zip
All have 2 or 4 versions, all zip files. No wonder it takes a long time to load from HDD.

kirby007 said:

you are lucky noone watches these vids otherwise you would be so getting cancelled over that asianboner comment

Ironically, I expected as such: I figured the five or so views I get from this forum would be it.  Instead I just sat here for 30 minutes reading this thread lol

Azzanation said:

Its funny, i have done the Maths for people on this site since GP was announced. People just don't want to believe it. GP is extremely profitable and MS will never announce its profits directly. They will downplay it to keep the price flexible in the future. On top of that, the GP/Live bundle adds another incentive to get gamer's to pay even more for Live which would be earning a fortune in itself. Two Major services bringing in billions a year is exactly why other companies will be following this eco-system soon.

I don't think other companies are going to follow this eco-system entirely because then they're either "copy paste" replicas, or they'll likely not have MS infrastructure.  People forget MS has more than just money: they have cloud servers all around the world that already serve their other products.  MS has resources that go beyond money, so their ability to "upset" the gaming media with a sub service like Game Pass would be hard to match by Sony or Nintendo.  Sony COULD try to invest in PSNow, but it would cost them in developing the necessary infrastructure, ORRRR the irony would be that they'd just rent MS  cloud servers to do it lmao

curl-6 said:

I don't hate Game Pass. It's just not for me; I prefer to own my games.

People also often act like its this megaton killer app that's going to turn the tides of the console war, when the data says that simply isn't the case.

The data literally says otherwise... Which even though the thread has mostly shut down these arguments on its own, is the whole "GP is bad for devs/publishers" and "GP kills game sales" and "GP isn't profitable" etc. etc. despite the data showing games on Game Pass still sell just fine on their own while increasing the sub counts for GP.  The data simply says, "money" which is the only thing these companies are after.

smroadkill15 said:
Angelv577 said:

I dont have a problem with gamepass but based on my needs, I rather buy the games I want to play whenever I want to instead of someone else dictating what I should play. dont have unlimited time to play plus before gamepass, I already had a backlog of more than 1,000 games that I bought everytime I saw a potential game on sale. besides, most games drop prices in a couple of months after launch anyway. deadloop is at $30 right now. in other words gamepass is not for me.

That's total cool. Game Pass isn't for everyone and I get that. It's just funny when some start throwing around bs like; "game pass is bad for the industry" and "the games are all gaas" or whatever other crap takes they can think of. 

You forgot the "GP kills game sales" one!  I love that one the most because GP itself IS the source of the money.  Buying a game has the SOLE PURPOSE of providing money to the publishers/devs etc.  GP also provides money to the publishers/devs etc.  The irony is that whether someone is buying games or subbing to GP, BOTH are putting money into the gaming industry.  BOTH actually serve the exact same purpose, so the "GP kills game sales" is literally just an e-peen measuring contest about how many units sold and not an actual understanding of how we, as consumers, feed the companies either way lol

dx11332sega said:

There's a right to not like gamepass , It's games library feels 90% western and 10% japanese except the big ones , Microsoft will never fix this , and I'm throwing the towel , Microsoft is too western and compared to Xbox 360 years in 2010 I always wanted Xbox to be more asian friendly than Xbox 360 , I started seeing too many western games on switch too now making it harder to navigate japanese games .

While I also agree that Xbox needs more weeb reach, this is a moot point: Disney+ doesn't have enough anime for me like Crunchyroll.  This is less a "right not to like Game Pass" and more about preference.  If you don't like Game Pass for not having enough JRPGs, there's an angle there.  Instead, you can freely feel that Game Pass is not right for you because of your preferences, but not liking the service because it doesn't have what you want is the very basis for a lot of the (ironic) dislike for Game Pass.  Surely you know I wouldn't say any of what you said about Disney+ simply because it doesn't have anime like Crunchyroll...

SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

100% i can understand that. Like i was saying if i was having so much shitty luck id never want to look at a PC again.

But saying that user faults aint really PC's fault (Except for the MS store can be funky). I mean i have often seen people have problems when it comes to PC sometimes but for you its just one thing after another. Its like when it comes to PC nothing will just work for you without you having to do a big run around.

Oh well thank god its not like that for most PC users or maybe PC gaming really would be dying instead of growing.

You haven't met my wife yet. By now we're convinced she must have some kind of EMP field around her as electronics and her don't. No matter what laptop I buy it will crash on her. Same with her iPhone, random lock ups, always problems with internet, wifi and 4g. I have to reset the Netgear router at least once a day. The pvr crashes often when she uses it or won't respond. And all that works for me. I take over and it's fine...

So it can be a lot worse than my experience lol. But we're quite the pair, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, repeatedly.

If it makes you feel any better, my sister is that one: anything electronic around here seems to have issues.  And I've told her it's got to be her energy levels: humans technically run on electricity.  Your brain sends electrical impulses everywhere in order to operate, and I'm of the belief that our energy can and does effect things around us.  It's why I take good care of my things: I'm a firm believer that it's not specifically the fact that I always clean and take care of my stuff that actually keeps them going longer, it's that my energy towards it in this mindset is non-disruptive.

I mean, my Elite V1 controller is still working just fine ALL these years later, and there are only two issues: I had to swap the analog stick cap between the two sticks because one became loose (but did not affect operability, it just felt weird); and the rumble has done its slow wear-and-tear on the plastic and has shaken things loose (it makes plastic vibration noises when rumbling).  I clean that thing a LOT and take good care of it, though, because it was a $150 controller haha!

---

I did not know this would turn into a larger discussion thread, but to those of you who actually watched the video and understood what I was on about, just know I appreciate you!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
curl-6 said:

I don't hate Game Pass. It's just not for me; I prefer to own my games.

People also often act like its this megaton killer app that's going to turn the tides of the console war, when the data says that simply isn't the case.

The data literally says otherwise... Which even though the thread has mostly shut down these arguments on its own, is the whole "GP is bad for devs/publishers" and "GP kills game sales" and "GP isn't profitable" etc. etc. despite the data showing games on Game Pass still sell just fine on their own while increasing the sub counts for GP.  The data simply says, "money" which is the only thing these companies are after.

I literally never said anything about any of those things.

I said it's not turning the tide of the console war, which is true; PS5 is still easily outselling Xbox Series in spite of many claiming that Game Pass would be a killer app that would turn the sales war in Xbox's favour.

curl-6 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I literally never said anything about any of those things.

I said it's not turning the tide of the console war, which is true; PS5 is still easily outselling Xbox Series in spite of many claiming that Game Pass would be a killer app that would turn the sales war in Xbox's favour.

Whether you're slyly shifting the goal post or not: the large part of the console war IS all of those things I said that many fanboys argue against Game Pass.  Game Pass is part of the console war, and the data is shutting down the "against" arguments.  And with Xbox embracing "any device" (well, other than Nintendo/PlayStation lol), you're choosing a particular metric for the sake of argument while ignoring the bigger status of how "gamers" try to mystify and downplay Game Pass simply due to the lack of basic math

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/