By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hating Game Pass Makes You Look Foolish

Shinobi-san said:

So let me get this straight based on the responses here:

MS is the only company that can offer this service due to 'infrastructure', and gamepass (GaaS) is an obvious path to take to ensure the best gaming content for the industry? And if you disagree you are a fool?

That's not even what Zyro says in the video.

I see logical discourse has left the thread I will see my way out.

If you are going to go, then go with the understanding what you just stated was purely just your assumption more than anyone making such a statement.  First, GP is not a (GaaS).  (GaaS) is typical of games that are a continued service like free to play, Destiny etc.  GP is a game subscription model and would be considered as a rental service or along the lines of Netfix, Hulu, Disney you pretty much name it.  It has a list of games you can play that come to the service and stay on for a period of time before leaving.  Content created by the creator stays forever or for as long as they wish.

Now that we got the definition of (GaaS out of the way, games like (GaaS) actually do not need a service like GP because they are their own service with their own monetized model to make money.  You would never have to put a (GaaS) Type game on GP unless it has some single player component like Destiny or Marvels Heros.  Even still, for those games you do not have to invest in the (GaaS) part.

So no, it does not make sense to ensure best gaming content for the industry because at the root of your post, its totally flawed.  Once you understand the different models you should come back and then have another discussion that way you will not be confused with the different types of services.

Around the Network

My niece came over and we steamed this Disney Pixar Rush game on my tablet with the Game Pass app. I didn't have to download it, install it, or anything. Just paired up a controller and she was ready to go and it ran flawlessly. After that, I decided to download it to my Xbox. The save data was there automatically. Now, every time she comes over, it's one of the first games we play.

I own... who knows how many games at this point but Game Pass was a gift from up above.

https://twitter.com/d21lewis/status/1454478387326685191?t=Zuo5My8t-jYjAC5QZVF4jA&s=19

Twitter: @d21lewis

Angelv577 said:

I dont have a problem with gamepass but based on my needs, I rather buy the games I want to play whenever I want to instead of someone else dictating what I should play. dont have unlimited time to play plus before gamepass, I already had a backlog of more than 1,000 games that I bought everytime I saw a potential game on sale. besides, most games drop prices in a couple of months after launch anyway. deadloop is at $30 right now. in other words gamepass is not for me.

That's total cool. Game Pass isn't for everyone and I get that. It's just funny when some start throwing around bs like; "game pass is bad for the industry" and "the games are all gaas" or whatever other crap takes they can think of. 

smroadkill15 said:
Angelv577 said:

I dont have a problem with gamepass but based on my needs, I rather buy the games I want to play whenever I want to instead of someone else dictating what I should play. dont have unlimited time to play plus before gamepass, I already had a backlog of more than 1,000 games that I bought everytime I saw a potential game on sale. besides, most games drop prices in a couple of months after launch anyway. deadloop is at $30 right now. in other words gamepass is not for me.

That's total cool. Game Pass isn't for everyone and I get that. It's just funny when some start throwing around bs like; "game pass is bad for the industry" and "the games are all gaas" or whatever other crap takes they can think of. 

They keep saying that but yet the is so far no proof of it. Its like how people say TV shows have gotten worse thanks to streaming services etc etc, yet imo TV shows have gotten better then most movies since they are hitting a bigger audience then they ever did before and mostly at the same time all around the world and that means bigger budgets.; Id love for anyone here to tell me what was the best TV shows before netflix and streaming etc took off?.

This Gaas shit is so stupid its not even funny as if everyone who is subscribed or is going to subscribe to GP is into Gass games. I mean if that was the case it would work out better for them to buy the game then use a subscription service for it..

zero129 said:
smroadkill15 said:

They keep saying that but yet the is so far no proof of it. Its like how people say TV shows have gotten worse thanks to streaming services etc etc, yet imo TV shows have gotten better then most movies since they are hitting a bigger audience then they ever did before and mostly at the same time all around the world and that means bigger budgets.; Id love for anyone here to tell me what was the best TV shows before netflix and streaming etc took off?.

This Gaas shit is so stupid its not even funny as if everyone who is subscribed or is going to subscribe to GP is into Gass games. I mean if that was the case it would work out better for them to buy the game then use a subscription service for it..

House, The Mentalist, Boston Legal, Bones, CSI (it's back, but crap), Firefly, The Big bang theory, Dexter, Pushing Daisies, Breaking bad, Lost, Chuck, 24, Heroes, Monk, NCIS (also crap now), The Sopranos, The Office, Will & Grace, Flight of the Concords, Law & Order various (crap now), Star Trek: Enterprise, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate: Infinity, Fringe.

Probably missed a bunch.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

House, The Mentalist, Boston Legal, Bones, CSI (it's back, but crap), Firefly, The Big bang theory, Dexter, Pushing Daisies, Breaking bad, Lost, Chuck, 24, Heroes, Monk, NCIS (also crap now), The Sopranos, The Office, Will & Grace, Flight of the Concords, Law & Order various (crap now), Star Trek: Enterprise, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate: Infinity, Fringe.

Probably missed a bunch.

Ok, other then Bones, CSI (Was never that good any ways) firefly was great and i bet would off lasted another few seasons if it was on a streaming service to show how good it was, Lost did get lost, 24 ok i hand you that, the sopranos too. As for the rest what did they do that we are still not seeing now?.

Most of the other stuff on your list was not with the budgets or as high quality as we are seeing now, and the small few left only took off proper after they where on streaming and maybe if they where on streaming to begin with would of lasted longer, so what exactly has streaming made worse? or am i really going to have to post a list of great tv shows that have come after streaming?

It’s all subjective. For my money a show like Ozark is just as good as anything on network TV. And a lot of stuff on that list posted are only available on subscriptions, be it cable or premium channel subscriptions like Showtime and HBO.

twintail said:
chakkra said:

These are the last four weeks of sales on Steam. I don't think you need me to point out that the data heavily suggests that a lot of people prefer to buy their games, despite them being on Game Pass. So yeah, I think Starfield, Skyrim 6, HB2, Perfect Dark, Fable, Indiana Jones, etc., will be fine.

Interesting charts. But, how popular is Xbox on PC? Does it make up a sizeable percentage of the overall Gamepass user numbers? If Gamepass PC is a minority, then sales being strong on Steam aren't surprising. 

Likewise, what are sales like on Xbox consoles themselves? 

I'm not suggesting that these game can't sell well despite being on gamepass, or that their budgets will be affected negatively. But I do think that without more context into gamepass, it's userbase, and the relation between sales and user numbers, it's difficult to get an accurate picture of how different elements are related to one another.

I'm struggling to follow your point here, I mean, maybe these games are selling bcuz Game Pass PC is just a tiny number, maybe they are selling bcuz Steam users just can't stop themselves from buying from that store; you can pick whatever reason you find more acceptable to you but at the end of the day, the games are selling and bringing in revenue, which is the point I was trying to make, these games do not rely solely on Game Pass.

As for how much money they do on Steam? We don't know that for sure but we can do some assumptions based on the small data that we have. For example, according to Superdata Horizon Zero Down sold 716,000 units in its first month on PC, and we know for a fact that the mayority of MS's games have consistently kept a larger player base than Horizon's, so I think we can safely assume that they indeed sold better.

HZD

Flight Simulator

LudicrousSpeed said:

It’s all subjective. For my money a show like Ozark is just as good as anything on network TV. And a lot of stuff on that list posted are only available on subscriptions, be it cable or premium channel subscriptions like Showtime and HBO.

Indeed i guess a better reply from me to him is how does that make whats on streaming services today worse. I mean TV shows come and go all the time.

But for me TV shows before streaming like most of the ones he listed dont even stand up to the movies in quality or production, like i said Streaming has made it where sometimes you wish a movie was a TV show instead of a movie so you could see more since now the quality of the production the effects etc have gone just as good as movies The Mandalorian thats better then the recent movies then we have the Witcher etc, anyone trying to downplay the quality we are seeing from tv shows today is delusional imo.

I wouldn't say hating fast food makes anyone look foolish.

Some would rather, or prefer to sit down and eat at a more palatable or fancy restaurant chain and spend a little extra if they have to for that. This tends to limit your consumption to a degree however. Some have the means to gorge though.
Others are fine, or prefer sitting down or driving thru a fast food chain, since it's cheap, easy, and quick. Which also tends to mean you can eat more if you like due to the low cost and less filling meals. Some don't have the means though, so a number one, will have to suffice.

Both have their upsides and downsides. I think very few would really want to live in a world with only one or the other. Each has their place in their own way. Why not have it your way?