By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hating Game Pass Makes You Look Foolish

I dont have a problem with gamepass but based on my needs, I rather buy the games I want to play whenever I want to instead of someone else dictating what I should play. dont have unlimited time to play plus before gamepass, I already had a backlog of more than 1,000 games that I bought everytime I saw a potential game on sale. besides, most games drop prices in a couple of months after launch anyway. deadloop is at $30 right now. in other words gamepass is not for me.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Angelv577 said:

I dont have a problem with gamepass but based on my needs, I rather buy the games I want to play whenever I want to instead of someone else dictating what I should play. dont have unlimited time to play plus before gamepass, I already had a backlog of more than 1,000 games that I bought everytime I saw a potential game on sale. besides, most games drop prices in a couple of months after launch anyway. deadloop is at $30 right now. in other words gamepass is not for me.

But its not a one or the other thing. For instance i have gamepass, if the is a game i really enjoy nothing stopping me from buying it and taking advantage of the discount you get with gamepass.

For a lot of people it is though. Subscribing to a service for many means they feel urged to make use of it to validate spending money on it. For some subscriptions mean the freedom to try everything. For others, subscriptions feel more restrictive.

Gamepass not being a bit profitable subscription service is actually a good thing. If it is as lucrative as Netflix, you can expect more competing services to pop up, leading to fragmentation and stuff going behind different pay walls. Yet as long as you can simply still buy everything without having to wait years (unlike what happened to tv) then it's all fine. Luckily Stadia fell flat on its ass with exclusive streaming games. Little horror scenario averted where Google bought Zenimax and locked future Skyrim etc behind Google Stadia.

zero129 said:
Angelv577 said:

But its not a one or the other thing. For instance i have gamepass, if the is a game i really enjoy nothing stopping me from buying it and taking advantage of the discount you get with gamepass.

For me it is due to limited time plus the huge backlog waiting for me.  I dont have time to beat games in 2 days anymore and if I pay for gamepass, I am gonna feel the pressure to play games mostly on gamepass to get the mosst out of it even though most games on gamepass either I have it or dont care for it.  if I spend time playing games I already bought , I would feel money is coming out of my account for no reason.  I already do that with nextflix.

Shinobi-san said:
Chicho said:

"I know there's a lot of people that like to write [that] we're burning cash right now for some future pot of gold at the end," Spencer said. "No. Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now as it sits. And it continues to grow."

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/451506/phil-spencer-xbox-game-pass-is-very-sustainable-right-now/

Big budget games have been few and far between for the last couple of years. I would imagine that MS has plans to ramp this up given the recent developer studio purchases. Once that starts to ramp up and Xbox starts to develop games on the same level of Sony it would be interesting to see how they balance that out. If the payoff is as obvious as some are making it out to be why are others not following?

Edit: Also the question of sustainability is not akin to 'burning cash'

How many companies do you know has the capability to actually do something on the scale of GP.  Think about it this way, MS owns the software and hardware and server farms around the world.  They have invested billions on those server farms and continue to invest more.  MS is a software/service company now unlike what they were before and thus GP fits right into what they do best.  The cost for MS to do something along this line is way cheaper then lets say Sony who would have to purchase space for their service including putting their hardware around the world, upkeep etc.  Think about it this way, even Google and Apple use MS servers to host some of their products, that should tell you something about the global reach and capability of MS in the service space.

Shinobi-san said:

Gamepass value is undeniable but its sustainability is what I doubt. I don't think people should be called foolish for wondering where this ends up.

Personally I'd hate to see MS start to lower budget for their big titles because there's not enough budget to go around. At some point gamepass needs to be sustainable in its own right.

I mean, bigger budget doesn't automatically translate into a better game, and vice versa; I mean, I really doubt that BoTW budget was bigger than that of The Order 1886 or Days Gone, for example. But anyways, since this is your main concern, let me try to put your mind at ease:

These are the last four weeks of sales on Steam. I don't think you need me to point out that the data heavily suggests that a lot of people prefer to buy their games, despite them being on Game Pass. So yeah, I think Starfield, Skyrim 6, HB2, Perfect Dark, Fable, Indiana Jones, etc., will be fine.

Around the Network
padib said:

The good news is that with gamepass you no longer need to spend on or worry about  a backlog. You can focus on enjoy whatever experience you seek at that moment.

Unless suddenly every game ever is on Game Pass, this simply isn't true. 

Many of the games that I want to play aren't on Game Pass, including what I'm playing right now.  That means that if I were to truly focus on whatever experience I seek at that moment, I would be paying for (and not using) Game Pass while still buying and playing games from elsewhere.

It's also isn't totally accurate to say that you don't have a "backlog" with Game Pass.  It's just that your "backlog" is the selection of titles that Game Pass offers, which you don't own but are paying for access to with a subscription.  At least, that's how many people seem to be treating it, judging from the "I only played it because it was available on Game Pass" comments I've read.

smroadkill15 said:
Shinobi-san said:

Big budget games have been few and far between for the last couple of years. I would imagine that MS has plans to ramp this up given the recent developer studio purchases. Once that starts to ramp up and Xbox starts to develop games on the same level of Sony it would be interesting to see how they balance that out. If the payoff is as obvious as some are making it out to be why are others not following?

Why worry about its sustainability instead of enjoying the service for what it offers? It's such a silly thing to worry about when this is MS after all. They are clearly very dedicated to the growth of Game Pass and there is zero indication of them dropping the service any time soon. Especially after a huge purchase like Zenimax/Bethesda, it only reinforces their long-term commitment. 

Err this is the topic of the thread? This is my opinion. It has nothing to do about not enjoying the service. This is a ridiculous response.

I have no concerns about MS dropping the service, didn't say that. Its about maintaining quality, not dropping the service.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

zero129 said:
Shinobi-san said:

What?.. Ok first of all the games they will release on Gamepass clearly do well and sell well on Steam and console too. They also dont have to pay anyone any royalties for their own "Big" games when they put them on the service. If by the time every Xbone owner and XBSX owners just switched to Gamepass or Gamepass Ultimate for their games this would be even more profitable for MS as look how many subs that is. Pretty much like smroadkill15 said to you, why even worry about this?.

Again its not a worry, its a response to a thread and an opinion on the long term sustainability on quality.

They have to pay the developer to make the game, there is a trade off when said game does not get direct compensation based on its quality. How do you not think of this? 

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Machiavellian said:
Shinobi-san said:

How many companies do you know has the capability to actually do something on the scale of GP.  Think about it this way, MS owns the software and hardware and server farms around the world.  They have invested billions on those server farms and continue to invest more.  MS is a software/service company now unlike what they were before and thus GP fits right into what they do best.  The cost for MS to do something along this line is way cheaper then lets say Sony who would have to purchase space for their service including putting their hardware around the world, upkeep etc.  Think about it this way, even Google and Apple use MS servers to host some of their products, that should tell you something about the global reach and capability of MS in the service space.

Sony has the capability to offer this right now, but they don't. It may not be to the extent at which MS is doing it with the streaming infrastructure etc. but they can offer a version of it. They choose not to for now. Its for obvious reasons.

So let me get this straight based on the responses here:

MS is the only company that can offer this service due to 'infrastructure', and gamepass (GaaS) is an obvious path to take to ensure the best gaming content for the industry? And if you disagree you are a fool?

That's not even what Zyro says in the video.

I see logical discourse has left the thread I will see my way out.