By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hating Game Pass Makes You Look Foolish

SvennoJ said:
Wman1996 said:

Game Pass is a win for the industry. Services like it make gaming more affordable than ever. But go ahead and buy 3 physical new releases a year for $60 a piece and act like you're getting such a better experience. You're probably not.

Game Pass is a win for the consumer, for now. It's good for the industry as long as MS keeps subsidizing it.

However, I paid $120 for FS2020, been playing it almost daily for 15 months now and will keep playing it for as long as it sticks around. 15*15 = $225, already saved $105 buy buying the premium deluxe version day one (Gamepass doesn't have the premium deluxe version btw. It's an expensive upgrade $85 and you still lose access to that when cancelling gamepass)

I've played other games of course, none are on gamepass, most I wanted physical editions to keep.

It's a great deal if you like the library on offer and play a little bit of a lot of games. I play a lot of a few games and GP doesn't overlap much with my tastes. Not a great deal in that case.

Anyway those looking foolish are those that have to promote/defend game pass at every twist and turn. Why so insecure when it's such a great service. It's starting to become a religion at this point. I get it, it's Q4, XBox time to shine, two of its most popular games just came out. Enjoy it instead of worrying about whether everyone likes GP yet.

I might pick up Halo Infinite after co-op is finished and I can get my hands on a Series X slim. No rush as I only want to play local co-op anyway. It will be the physical release however, definitely looks like one to keep. After finishing the digital version of TLOU2 yesterday I'll be buying the physical version to keep. I bought it digitally because of the pandemic, but regret that now. Amazing game.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

No. It's the vocal few who make it an issue when ever it gets brought up. Most people have zero issues with the service and if they don't use the service, they could care less if someone enjoys talking about it. I mean, this is a video game forum after all, it's kind of what we do. 

That reminds me, we have a sermon this weekend at the House of Game Pass. Phil is going to be making a sacrifice for a glorious Halo launch. You should join, brother. 

He now, only Sony sacrifices goats to promote a new game :p

I just wonder how much it actually does for less mainstream games. It's like FS2020 is already forgotten again. The GOTY edition just came out with the first huge expansion to almost zero noise, 4 comments...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-19-flight-simulators-competitive-multiplayer-dlc-and-big-free-goty-update-are-out-now
Sure the upcoming Halo release is taking all the attention away but still kinda disappointed how quickly FS2020 sank to the background after all the trouble Asobo and players went through with the XBox release.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1250410
It did bring some players back, on Steam peak of 14K concurrent players, up from 10K the 2 months before. Is there such a stat for the XBox ecosystem? I'm curious what the split is. There should be far more players on the XBox side with gamepass but I can't find any metrics.
I'm sure the unique player count is quite high, yet how many return and actually keep playing the game and bring in revenue on the marketplace.

Anyway, back to testing the Goty edition, DX12 isn't doing well so far, using a lot more VRAM and overall lower fps after the update. DX11 is definitely better for now but a bit more demanding on the CPU since the update.

You pretty much answered your own question. No offense to Flight Sim, but why would console players pick that over Halo and FH5 to play, along with AAA 3rd party games lol. Well anyways to answer your other question, Flight Sim is the 20th most popular game on Game Pass right now. 

hinch said:
pokoko said:

I'm mostly ambivalent toward Game Pass. However, those who don't seem to understand that it's not the best option for everyone can be bloody annoying.

Pretty much. And like you OP states its a subscription service, very much like PS Now, Google Stadia, etc. I think its a great value for the sheer library of new games. Though its not for everyone and people get too worked up about it for and against. For me, I'm wary of more subscription services taking off as we've seen how video games companies act when they have new means of making money. Be it through horse armor dlc's, mtx, online paywalls etc this just looks to be the next logical evolution of that.

Though with GPU I think choice is a good thing and by someone like MS offering a great value service, will spur on others to innovate. I do think think that the constant critiquing on something is a bit much. But also the guys who keep banging on about it likes its the best thing since sliced bread. Its a little like if like people kept calling at how good/bad value Netflix/Disney is. Like who tf cares just watch/sub to what you want or not.

Stadia is a shit model. Pay to subscribe then pay full price for games you don't own. Stadia is mostly forgoten and now and just a matter of when it's killed off at this point. Google already shut down the studios they bought. Not making games for it now and I imagine support is drying up unless Google is just throwing money into a pit to lure them in for now.  Stadia is already a dead service walking.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Gamepass is honestly making me consider getting an xbox console over a ps for the first time.

I've actually purchased games i enjoyed on Game pass that I never would have played. Untitled Goose Game and Goat Simulator (and all of the DLC) being the most recent

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I don't hate Game Pass. It's just not for me; I prefer to own my games.

People also often act like its this megaton killer app that's going to turn the tides of the console war, when the data says that simply isn't the case.

Well we are still very early in the service wars so who knows how things might shape up in a few years.  Also I agree that not all services caters to everyone so if its not for you then its not for you.  As for wanting to own your games, does that mean every game you play you want to own.  I know for myself, there are very few games I actually want to own, so GP is a great value because, I can play any particular game I like and if I like it enough, I can also purchase it.  What GP gives someone like myself is the ability to try a lot of games I would normally not purchase but be interested in.  I have played quite a few games I would never have put my money into and was surprised and I have purchased some that I wanted to continue when they were going to leave the service.  

I believe the problem with some people is that if they feel that its not for them, they feel they need to find a reason to dislike it and for some people who like it feel the need to make others want to like it.  Both parties can be a pain in the butt.

Leynos said:
hinch said:

Pretty much. And like you OP states its a subscription service, very much like PS Now, Google Stadia, etc. I think its a great value for the sheer library of new games. Though its not for everyone and people get too worked up about it for and against. For me, I'm wary of more subscription services taking off as we've seen how video games companies act when they have new means of making money. Be it through horse armor dlc's, mtx, online paywalls etc this just looks to be the next logical evolution of that.

Though with GPU I think choice is a good thing and by someone like MS offering a great value service, will spur on others to innovate. I do think think that the constant critiquing on something is a bit much. But also the guys who keep banging on about it likes its the best thing since sliced bread. Its a little like if like people kept calling at how good/bad value Netflix/Disney is. Like who tf cares just watch/sub to what you want or not.

Stadia is a shit model. Pay to subscribe then pay full price for games you don't own. Stadia is mostly forgoten and now and just a matter of when it's killed off at this point. Google already shut down the studios they bought. Not making games for it now and I imagine support is drying up unless Google is just throwing money into a pit to lure them in for now.  Stadia is already a dead service walking.

Yeah the point I was trying to make is that its a subscription service. It might not be everyone but for quite a lot of people its another way of consuming content. Not wanting into platform wars.

Its like people buying collecting and bluray's, or buying films on a digital platform as opposed to using streaming services like Netflix, HBO or whatever. 

Last edited by hinch - on 22 November 2021

I can't imagine too many people hate gamepass. The idea of it is great, I think some think Microsoft and its multi trillion dollar war chest are taking losses on it to kill competition and will one day either pull the rug out or double or triple the price. Similar to the original Xbox that took billions in losses to try and kill Nintendo off. Gamepass itself is pretty great even for gamers like myself that are not fans of racing games, sports games, and 1st person shooters which there are a lot of. I signed up for gamepass for the $1 for 3 months and kept it a little passed the 3 months as I beat all the games I wanted to beat a good chunk of the Yakuza games, River City Girls, Lucky's Tale, Battletoads, and a few others. I eventually cancelled it but will sign up again for a bit when games like Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fable start releasing for it.

Not really as u get AAA whether old or new. 

For me this year I played, 

Scarlet nexus 2 times 

Ms flight simulator, 

Forza 5

Plague tale of innocence 

Doom eternals

Star wars fallen jedi

Pyschonauts

Outriders

Assasin creed vahalla

To name a few. Total just on those cover the cost of gamepass for the entire year 

This doesnt count the smaller games snd indies

Theres some besuroful indies that i would have never tried if it werent for gamepass 

LudicrousSpeed said:
yvanjean said:

Let's assume I paid $180 for game pass ultimate.

These are the game I played this year based on my achievements:

Call of Sea $19.99
Star War Fallen order $19.99
Two Point Hospital – Gamepass only
Outriders $59.99
Dark Alliance $39.99
The Ascents $29.99
Hades $24.99
Scarlet Nexus $59.99
Psychonauts 2 $59.99
No Man’s Sky $29.99
Marvel Avenger $59.99
Microsoft Flight Simulator $59.99
Forza 5 $59.99
Back 4 Blood $59.99

Total current retail price $585

Yeah but those are all low budget A/AA micro transaction infested multiplayer GaaS garbage.

Nobody actually hates Game Pass for logical and reasonable reasons.