By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hating Game Pass Makes You Look Foolish

Machiavellian said:
curl-6 said:

I literally never said anything about any of those things.

I said it's not turning the tide of the console war, which is true; PS5 is still easily outselling Xbox Series in spite of many claiming that Game Pass would be a killer app that would turn the sales war in Xbox's favour.

The problem with this point is that people are way to concentrated on the Console War.  GP is not going to change the console war because MS is not invested in the console war.  GP scope is beyond the console and the prize MS is looking at is gaming in General.  They are looking at every device that can play games and want GP on it.  Its the reason you have a browser extension to play GP on any device.  Its the reason MS will be coming out with a Dongle for GP.  We also probably will see integration on a TV soon.  The difference between GP and PS Now is that Sony does not want PS Now to compete with PS hardware and only really offer it on such hardware.  MS has already decided that GP will not be tied to any hardware and does not care if it competes with Xbox hardware.  The 2 companies are in totally different paths when it comes to their services which is why when people view everything through the "Console War" lens they only see a narrow view of what MS is going for.

The kind of posts I'm referring to though, were definitely talking about console sales.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Machiavellian said:

The problem with this point is that people are way to concentrated on the Console War.  GP is not going to change the console war because MS is not invested in the console war.  GP scope is beyond the console and the prize MS is looking at is gaming in General.  They are looking at every device that can play games and want GP on it.  Its the reason you have a browser extension to play GP on any device.  Its the reason MS will be coming out with a Dongle for GP.  We also probably will see integration on a TV soon.  The difference between GP and PS Now is that Sony does not want PS Now to compete with PS hardware and only really offer it on such hardware.  MS has already decided that GP will not be tied to any hardware and does not care if it competes with Xbox hardware.  The 2 companies are in totally different paths when it comes to their services which is why when people view everything through the "Console War" lens they only see a narrow view of what MS is going for.

The kind of posts I'm referring to though, were definitely talking about console sales.

That is because the person who made that post also is way to concerned about the console war.  For MS there is no console war anymore, there is only gaming and the Xbox is just one tool they have to push their vision of gaming.  Not saying their vision is the best because there is competition on that front.  Think about it this way.  It was MS who first decided to bring their First party games day one on the PC and Console.  We only now have seen Sony embrace bringing their games to PC probably because they realize that they are missing out on money but even they are not doing day one release.  A lot of people stated that this move to bring their console games to PC means that their is no need to purchase a Xbox and they are right.  MS made that decision because it supports GP on PC and they already decided in their road map that what is best for GP is a decision they need to make now.  GP on whole has a great up side for MS then just pumping out console hardware in a very competitive market with Sony and Nintendo.  

Sony is always about protecting their hardware eco system just like Nintendo but MS on the other hand just do not care.  MS do not care if you get a Xbox, play their games on a Dongle, Brower on your phone, TV, PC you name it, as long as you ware willing to sub to GP, they will make money because GP is the gateway drug to their other services and you can believe they will come a day where they will bundle them together.

SvennoJ said:

I won't be adding (much) to the revenue, but the deal is too good to pass on. $1 for 3 months for PC. I turned recurring billing off, good till Februari 24th. If I get hooked by then I can always extend it. I thought I couldn't get the $1 deal anymore (already used a couple years ago) but it must reset after a while. Now with 2 extra months.

Question: Do I need the XBox app and what do I do about this

It's been like that for 20 minutes, not doing anything. Can I safely kill it or will it screw things up.
It's still active in the task manager using CPU and RAM, but not accessing any files nor the internet.

I quit it, restarted it and it says it can't sign me in. I can sign into my XBox live account on XBox.com, but the app gives 0x87DD005 error code. Which gives nothing https://support.xbox.com/en-US/search?errorCode=0x87DD0005 and I can sign in on that page.

5th time is the charm, signed in. It let me select a drive to install FH5, progress :)

Or not, it took space of my drive but is not installing anything and the Install button is back. I got a locked folder now on my D: Drive, WindowsApps. Denied access as adminstrator. I thought they changed that, WTF.

How do I get my drive space back, how do you get it to install. Ugh already regretting this.

I clicked install again, then it let me click view progress (which I couldn't find anywhere) and it is actually installing FH5.
UI experience is atrocious, but what can you expect for $1 :) 33% done. I cancelled the second install, hopefully things work out.

Might as well pre-install Halo Infinite campaign, check it out if it's worth waiting for co-op for. Requires Unknown disk space (released dec 8). Could at least give me a ballpark figure!

Oddly, much better download speed through the XBox App than the FS2020 installer. It's maxing out my 100 mbps connection, no issues there. (It's listed as SVChost.exe processes, hence I couldn't find it first. The XBox App is only sending/receiving a couple bytes now and then)

I don't use XB app, but I use two Android emulators, and I had issues with both, amongst which the neverending install and neverending updates at start ones, and three solutions I've found suggested in the net are, 1) making sure all the necessary virtualisation settings are enabled in the BIOS, 2) making sure the antivirus isn't blocking the app, and if it's fussy and suspicious about app with too low level access, granting the app an exception 3) for Avast users, like me, disabling HW assisted virtualisation.
Depending on the emulator version, at least one of these solutions worked for me with at least one emulator, but with the last updates the slowest one, but in the past most stable, has become more unstable and now never completes loading anymore, while the other has become decently stable.
So, while BIOS virtualisation settings once solved shouldn't come back, unless BIOS is reset to factory settings, if it's an antivirus problem, the solution could be a combination of right AV settings and permissions to apps with right app version.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

For me personally , gamepass is the best deal currently in gaming. I'm getting a lot out of it.

The outer worlds if that game isnt steakdinner and a good fucking afterwards, i dont know anymore

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

The strange comparison between Game Pass and fast food is completely off but seeing all those hideous fast food special edition consoles and controllers is so bad it's good.

kirby007 said:

The outer worlds if that game isnt steakdinner and a good fucking afterwards, i dont know anymore

But did you purchase it in a fancy restaurant or at a fast food chain with some promotion? Because that totally changes the flavor. I mean, you're not getting a full "AAA steak experience" if you are not paying full $70 for it.

zero129 said:

Are you sure your not just a narcissist? xD. Seems like you just love hardship .

The word you're looking for is masochist ;)

An yep, I enjoy not qualifying, starting in the back chaos in GT Sport, on the Nurburgring Nordschleife, preferably in low SR (where all the bad drivers are). Feels great to beat them all driving clean, last to first!

As for gamepass and the console war, gamepass just makes me less likely to buy the console. Last gen I played what I wanted from MS on gamepass on PC. This gen i depends, will there be a Series X slim available before I upgrade to a 3070 gaming laptop.

kirby007 said:

Oh man I forgot about that one, another absolute banger that is never leaving GamePass since MS owns Obsidian.

But did you play it day one with a $60 purchase? If so, that’s fine dining. Did you play it as part of an existing GamePass experience? That’s fast food and is less enjoyable. Did you take advantage of a $1 Pop Tart box promotion to get GamePass to play it? Well then that’s Chipotle, enjoy your norovirus.

padib said:
Machiavellian said:

That is because the person who made that post also is way to concerned about the console war.  For MS there is no console war anymore, there is only gaming and the Xbox is just one tool they have to push their vision of gaming.  Not saying their vision is the best because there is competition on that front.  Think about it this way.  It was MS who first decided to bring their First party games day one on the PC and Console.  We only now have seen Sony embrace bringing their games to PC probably because they realize that they are missing out on money but even they are not doing day one release.  A lot of people stated that this move to bring their console games to PC means that their is no need to purchase a Xbox and they are right.  MS made that decision because it supports GP on PC and they already decided in their road map that what is best for GP is a decision they need to make now.  GP on whole has a great up side for MS then just pumping out console hardware in a very competitive market with Sony and Nintendo.  

Sony is always about protecting their hardware eco system just like Nintendo but MS on the other hand just do not care.  MS do not care if you get a Xbox, play their games on a Dongle, Brower on your phone, TV, PC you name it, as long as you ware willing to sub to GP, they will make money because GP is the gateway drug to their other services and you can believe they will come a day where they will bundle them together.

I mostly agree with everything you said. However, I still think that the best is yet to come for Xbox this gen and they will break out and have a decent chance at outselling the Playstation this gen. But you are still right despite the feat, for MS it does not completely matter since they want to sell subscriptions agnostic of platform.

Anyhow my prediction was here for transparency:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244790/xbox-will-catch-up-to-playstation-this-generation/

It would be extremely hard for MS to outsell Sony even if they hit all cylinders with each and every one of their first party games.  The reason is that Sony has not made any mistakes and coming into the PS5 gen I would say they have continued to put their foot on the peddle with high quality output.  Then you throw in already being the market leader with huge 3rd party support and a fantastic hardware option including controller and its pretty much Sony to lose more than MS to win.  Sony would need to make some really major blunders for the Series X to sell better but that does not mean that the Series will not sell good.  I also believe MS is making all the right moves and thus they will stay competitive which if I am going to be honest, I like MS in the underdog role better than the market leader.  They seem to try way harder when trying to come from behind instead of being the top dog.  They still close enough to make Sony push as well which as a consumer is great all around, at least for me.