By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

#28: Hint 2: Your job is to kill people.

#26: Hint 2: A loved one gets kidnapped and somehow always manages to send you letters with aforementioned pictures. The iconic villain has a bobblehead on those.

#28: Hint 3: The latest game in a long running series where you play as a professional killer.

#26: Hint 3: The villain has alot of spikes and is very big.

#25: Hint 2: Same villain as in #26, but this time he has a different goals.

#24: Hint 2: You seek to find a fabled paradise, in a sea of clouds.

#23: Hint: The villain plans to destry all dimensions to create the one perfect dimension. A bit different gameplay from previous games in the series.

I suppose 28 is the latest Hitman game.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Kakadu18 said:

#28: Hint 3: The latest game in a long running series where you play as a professional killer.

#23: Hint: The villain plans to destry all dimensions to create the one perfect dimension. A bit different gameplay from previous games in the series.

I suppose 28 is the latest Hitman game.

Yes, Hitman 3... (Cloud Version)

Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

#28: Hint 2: Your job is to kill people.

#26: Hint 2: A loved one gets kidnapped and somehow always manages to send you letters with aforementioned pictures. The iconic villain has a bobblehead on those.

#24 is Xenoblade Chronicles 2

#26 kinda sounds like Bowser, but there are so many games... let's say Paper Mario Sticker Star

which makes #25 another Mario game, let's say Super Mario Odyssey EDIT: actually the Kaiju bit means it is Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Last edited by Mnementh - on 05 December 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

26) Funny without.

Hint 2: ^ pick 2 synonyms for these words and and you get...

Oooooohh... Comic Sans. This is Undertale, isn't it?

Correct :D

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Darashiva said:

#22:

• A vessel was created to contain the infection.
  • Radiance
  • The main character is a creature similar to the vessel that was created, and the only other one out of countless failed vessels that survived.

Don't remember the lore 100 %, but sounds kinda like Hollow Knight.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
#28 A Short Hile
guessed by Darashiva
platform Switch/Linux
release year 2019
developer/publisher Adam Robinson-Yu
genre adventure
links Wikipedia

From time to time you encounter a game which gives you a fresh joyful experience that stays with you. For me A Short Hike works that way.

The game is interesting in many ways. It has it's own unique artstyle, it is a freely navigatable open world but a small one, it offers a wide variety of very well feeling movement options and it has a simple objective: get to the peak, because up there you have reception. Along the way you meet a lot of characters, learn about them but also about your character (you get into the game without even knowing the name of your character, but some characters call you Claire).

Your objective for the game is set early on, and you learn to climb early and learn you need feathers, more for higher ascends. Also an early sign informs you how many feathers you need to reach the peak. So you look for feathers (of which are much more than you need for the climb, but you can try to find them anyways).

The game felt never like checking points from a list, I did more what I wanted while keeping the overall goal in mind. I am sure others will find another way up there and maybe even meet different characters where I haven't looked. At the beginning it annoyed me not to have a map or not to be able to freely move the camera. But this gave quickly in as I relaxed and let go of things I did in other games and just enjoyed the ride. The game isn't difficult, it isn't even long (the name is telling), so you don't need extra information or helpers to achieve your goals, you can just keep them in your mind.

In the end, when you reach the peak your character just sit's there for a while, soaking in the view and the northern lights (as can you), then you get the call and learn what this is about. Then you can sit there a little longer and then fly all the way down watching the locales you saw on the way.

This game is short, but in my opinion more than worth it's price, as it leaves you with good feelings. And isn't that what games should do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usBVx4J4CUM&ab_channel=Nintendo

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

I was a bit lazy the last few days with hints, so now multiple games at once:

#26: "Хорошо! Я буду работать на тeбя, проклятый капиталист!" Guessed by Darashiva.

#25: You're eaten by a Grue! Return to this place in graphics this time. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser.

#24: The ship you're imprisoned on get's attacked by Githyanki. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser.

#23: Pay a donkey carrots to get more corpses.

#22: Draw the map of the dungeon you find in a high school yourself. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser.

Kakadu18 said:

Oh, duh. In hindsight I should've known this with the first hint. 26 is Super Mario 3D Land.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 05 December 2021

#34 This was the third game in this platformer  series. Which wouldn't see a new entry until 2013.

#33 In this game the main character is killed off at the beginning.

#32 This game has a special mechanic that let's you turn back time.

#31 This game is the start of a new trilogy after the originals on PS2.

#30 This PS1 platformer was the first in it's series. It had a stronger focus on platforming than it's sequels.

Guessed by Darashiva

Back in the early 2000s, there was an age before the era of drab and brown colour pallets, and muscular, manly men with selectable perks and points and feats in thick armour using guns that are much too big. This age was an age of very imaginative shooters, where they all had a fun story, were all original, all had farfetched set-pieces and had fun dialogues and memorable characters. One of the best ones of that age was 'No One Lives Forever', fully titled 'The Operative: No One Lives Forever'. I assume they thought they could make this an anthology series with other "The Operative" games, but I'm not sure that's the case and it also at least never happened.

No One Lives Forever did have a sequel of itself though, because the game turned to be an unexpected hit. This sequel, 'No One Lives Forever: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way' dropped the "The Operative" prefix. Both games are actually equally good, I'd recommend both but as is with a lot of things, the novelty of being the first in something wins out here. After the start of the 7th Generation of Video Games, my interest in the first-person shooter genre started to wane due to the above mentioned move, and it never really recovered. I know the age of drab and brown is pretty much over as well, but things aren't as colourful, both literally and figuratively, yet as they were in the era of No On Lives Forever. A pretty unique era.