By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Darashiva said:

#22:

• A vessel was created to contain the infection.
  • Radiance
  • The main character is a creature similar to the vessel that was created, and the only other one out of countless failed vessels that survived.

Don't remember the lore 100 %, but sounds kinda like Hollow Knight.

Hollow Knight is correct.

Around the Network

Yes! Finally a game that I can take with me to the next day and write a second hint for. The two guesses so far, Call of Duty: World at War and Medal of Honour (I assume Allied Assault?) were both wrong, but close. The former mores than the latter, or was it? Anyway, forget the whole sentence, you haven't read this, time for the actual hint, and one for a new game;

#24: This game features an awesome campaign following three characters from three different viewpoints, and with the expansion ends with an iconic image of carrying a flag onto a rooftop.

Hint 2: There's other levels that are reminiscent of real-life locations or events. One level, taking place in a village in France, looks pretty much exactly the same as it did on an episode about the same events of an otherwise unrelated HBO miniseries. This level is coincidentally also one of the most popular multiplayer maps. Guessed by coolbeans - Call of Duty

#23: Even though you can do each of the levels in any order, it's usually a good idea to one in particular first, because the weapon upgrade you get from that boss is good against pretty much anything. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser - Mega Man 2

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 06 December 2021

Mnementh said:
Kakadu18 said:

#28: Hint 3: The latest game in a long running series where you play as a professional killer.

#26: Hint 3: The villain has alot of spikes and is very big.

#25: Hint 2: Same villain as in #26, but this time he has a different goals.

#24: Hint 2: You seek to find a fabled paradise, in a sea of clouds.

#23: Hint: The villain plans to destry all dimensions to create the one perfect dimension. A bit different gameplay from previous games in the series.

#24 is Xenoblade Chronicles 2

#26 kinda sounds like Bowser, but there are so many games... let's say Paper Mario Sticker Star

which makes #25 another Mario game, let's say Super Mario Odyssey EDIT: actually the Kaiju bit means it is Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

#24: Yes.

#25: Yes, 3D World + Bowser's Fury. The different goals part was reffering to him for once not kidnapping Peach.

#26: Wrong, never played that game. I don't think the first two hints would fit to Sticker Star.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 06 December 2021

S.Peelman said:
Kakadu18 said:

#26: Hint 3: The villain has alot of spikes and is very big.

Oh, duh. In hindsight I should've known this with the first hint. 26 is Super Mario 3D Land.

Exactly.

coolbeans said:
S.Peelman said:

#24: This game features an awesome campaign following three characters from three different viewpoints, and with the expansion ends with an iconic image of carrying a flag onto a rooftop.

Hint 2: There's other levels that are reminiscent of real-life locations or events. One level, taking place in a village in France, looks pretty much exactly the same as it did on an episode about the same events of an otherwise unrelated HBO miniseries. This level is coincidentally also one of the most popular multiplayer maps.

#23: Even though you can do each of the levels in any order, it's usually a good idea to one in particular first, because the weapon upgrade you get from that boss is good against pretty much anything.

24 - Has to be Call of Duty (1) because that expansion sounds like United Offensive.  

23 - Super Metroid (?)

24 is correct! The Russian part of the campaigns ends with a level of you reaching the roof of the Reichstag in Berlin, and the other level I speak of in the second hint is Carentan, which is also a popular multiplayer map, and the town in the game looks almost exactly the same in the (absolutely amazing) miniseries Band of Brothers.

23 however, is not correct. Super Metroid was also already featured earlier in my list. It and my game don't have much in common either, other than the fact that you can shoot.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 05 December 2021

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
S.Peelman said:

24 is correct! The Russian part of the campaigns ends with a level of you reaching the roof of the Reichstag in Berlin, and the other level I speak of in the second hint is Carentan, which is also a popular multiplayer map, and the town in the game looks almost exactly the same in the (absolutely amazing) miniseries Band of Brothers.

23 however, is not correct. Super Metroid was also already featured earlier in my list. It and my game don't have much in common either, other than the fact that you can shoot.

You're right.  I remember that in Call of Duty Arcade and thinking "oh... World at War just dramatized that scene again." 

Yeah I was just reading that on the summary of that game on Wikipedia. Haven't played World at War, so I didn't know that also happens in that game. I didn't play anything in the series newer than CoD3 actually, because when Modern Warfare came out I didn't like the period and setting and lost interest. And then with the series moving more and more towards being multiplayer focussed I never regained that interest either, though I admit I don't really know how it is now. I might actually like Vanguard for example if I tried it. I hear the last couple years they've had fairly decent campaigns again.

I was wrong though in my own hint, I allude to this level being in the expansion, but it's in the normal game.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

YoY: -1

The highest ranking Nintendo game on my list is also in my opinion the best NES game ever made. I have many fond memories of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 as a kid, sitting on the floor in front of the television, finding secrets and discovering new items and places in the stages that felt massive compared to anything I'd seen in other games up to that point. The vast majority of NES games haven't aged all that well, even many of the ones I still love to this day, but of the limited number that do still hold up, Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best.

Even going beyond pure nostalgia that allows me to enjoy some of the other games of my childhood, this is one of the games I never have to make any kind of excuse for still fully enjoying. It's just as brilliant today as it was back then, and although I don't play it very often these days, I do still find myself wanting to go back to it every once in a while. And when I do, I know it's going to be great, even after all these years.

mZuzek said:

#26 - Both of the platforms this game was released on were some of the worst-selling home consoles ever.

Gonna venture a guess with Wind Waker

Eric2048 said:

#34 This was the third game in this platformer  series. Which wouldn't see a new entry until 2013.

#33 In this game the main character is killed off at the beginning.

#32 This game has a special mechanic that let's you turn back time.

#31 This game is the start of a new trilogy after the originals on PS2.

#30 This PS1 platformer was the first in it's series. It had a stronger focus on platforming than it's sequels.

#33: As I doubt people have Blood on their list, I guess you talk about Demon's Souls.

#32: Majora's Mask?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

There are some things that happen in life that mould you into the person you are today. These are pivotal points that steer your life into a certain direction, and life would have been radically different if they never happened. This can be any kind of event, big or small, and they usually happen when you are still young because at a young age you are still very impressionable. For me, one these points was the start of 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past'. I could never have guessed that pixelated rain could change my life so much, and I doubt mister Miyamoto would've known that as well.

But once there was a faithful morning when I walked down the stairs into the living room of my aunt's house, when there it was. I never saw anything as mind-blowing as the intro sequence to this game until then, and I never saw anything so impactful again afterwards. That incident made me a fan of Zelda, Nintendo, and of the fantasy genre. I began playing video games much more regularly and more seriously after that and got my own things. Obviously the game is worthy of a spot this high on an all-time favourites list on its own merits, because it's great and monumental and don't really have to talk about that, but you could say; awesome rain effects made me a gamer.