By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

coolbeans said:

@Farsala

Dragon's Dogma?

Nope, surprisingly more Dragon games than that.

For the last hint, I will quote someone without quoting them.

38 This RPG features an exiled princess, a thief, a relentless captain, 2 mages and an old king.
This game also features quite the eccentric entertainer. The protagonist can interact with all these characters and their backstories in unique ways.

"For me, it was ___________. That game is so charming and lovely. It may not be an exclusive but the _____ has beautiful orchestrated music instead of midi tunes, and that alone makes a huge difference. The characters have so much personality, the story is very good and the battle system is addictive. This game is like a time capsule for me, it took me right back into the 90s."

Around the Network
Farsala said:
S.Peelman said:

New hint for #33, and repost of hint #34. #35 has since been guessed.

#33: Being chased by the antagonist makes it look like this game is in the  survival horror genre, but it's not really.

I am thinking something like Medieval Total War, probably 2?

Yes, correct!

My hint is even more true if you play as the HRE, the pope really hates you then.

Runa216 said:

I feel so bad about this because I don't like being negative, but for the life of me I don't know why so many people love Guitar Hero III so much. I thought the boss battle gimmick was garbage, the charting was all over the place, the visual effects were outlandish in a way that vastly messed with the rhythm and timing of the notes (so much so that they had to widen the allowance on timing just to counterbalance it), and everything was overcharted as hell. 

It's an exercise in style over substance. a great track list from a popularity aspect but nowhere near as fun to play. I got introduced to way more songs and bands from Guitar HEro 1/2 and the Rock Band series than this. And yes, there's a distinct correlation between developers HArmonix (the team that made GH1, GH2, 80's, and the rock band franchise) and my personal tastes. 

Buh, this is one of those games that I know most people only like because it was the one that had the widest appeal, but there's a dedicated group of music lovers that feel it was definitely a step down. Rock Band did it better. 

Ah, I sparked discussion! But don’t feel bad.

You are probably right, but first off it is true that Guitar Hero III is my pick to represent this series, and the genre basically, in large part because it was the first one I played. Had I played another first I might have felt differently. Still, I did feel I had a little less fun with each subsequent game though, and Guitar Hero III has a lot of songs I liked best to play. Though maybe Metallica does, as their songs are so suited to these kinds of games but that one was obviously a bit repetitive. Continue under mZuzek;

mZuzek said:

Because it's fun.

And one way it was made more fun for a lot of people is exactly in widening the timing for hitting notes. No one's gonna disagree with you that it was ridiculously wide in GH3, you could hit notes like half a second early or late. I suppose many things were overcharted, but because hitting notes was so easy, it made you feel better than you probably were. And everyone probably felt that way, really. That's just fun.

Also, the songs were awesome. Whether previous games had more or less awesome songs is personal taste, GH3 still had a killer soundtrack.

I agree with you that Rock Band did it better, but maybe Rock Band's existence is the exact reason why I never looked down on GH3. The Guitar Hero series definitely got wackier from that point on, prioritizing dumb fun over precision, and it was easy to embrace that because if you ever wanted that precise gameplay again, Rock Band was right there.

Indeed it was fun, which for me is always the biggest point. I noticed the overcharting and the wide timing of this one as I went on to the newer games. However, the overcharting actually made Guitar Hero III more difficult in my eyes. Difficult in a good way, because it made you feel more awesome and indeed that was fun. This was especially noticeable on songs that were in more games. To return to Metallica as an example, III’s One > Metallica’s One by far. I thought the games got easier and easier as the songs became poppier. In will admit though that I never really gave 6 much of a chance because I didn’t really like 5 much. In hindsight I should’ve liked 6’s setlist much better.

Kakadu18 said:

#38: Luigi's Mansion 2

While this is my least favorite Luigi's Mansion game I still love it. I like the mission based structure less than how the other two games are structured gameplaywise. But it offers for way more funny dialogue with Professor E. Gadd between missions.

It has way more variety in ghost types than either of the other two Luigi's Mansion games that are all very expressive and full of character with very unique behaviour and attacks.

LM2 introduces plenty of new gadgets from E. Gadd that lead to some great puzzles. The tons of collectables are fun to find. The boss ghost fights are pretty creative.

Also this game introduces the ghost doggo which I mentioned in my hints. That one's a bit annoying but funny.

This installment is way longer than the original with more story too and more intricate leveldesign. King Boo's design is way better than in the first game, intimidating even.

A very fun game.

Great game. It's funny that what you say is your "least" favourite (least sounds harsh if something is the #38 greatest game ever lol) is probably my favourite of the series. I had this in my list for some years. It's close though, all three are great and it's one of the better Nintendo series. I had the first one as an honourable mention for some years as well. Ordering the games for me is really down to cherry picking. Personally, the second game wins out against the third because I felt the third was just a tad too long, but the hotel concept was great. It wins against the first because of what you said, the ghosts and the locations in the second show more variety.

S.Peelman said:

Great game. It's funny that what you say is your "least" favourite (least sounds harsh if something is the #38 greatest game ever lol) is probably my favourite of the series. I had this in my list for some years. It's close though, all three are great and it's one of the better Nintendo series. I had the first one as an honourable mention for some years as well. Ordering the games for me is really down to cherry picking. Personally, the second game wins out against the third because I felt the third was just a tad too long, but the hotel concept was great. It wins against the first because of what you said, the ghosts and the locations in the second show more variety.

The ghost catching part I think was done the best in LM2, especially because of it having the biggest ghost variety. The first part has the best atmosphere and is genuinly creepy. LM3 has the best puzzles and boss fights, King Boo in particular is a stand out. I was at first disappointed with LM3 because it constantly recycled the same few ghost types, but it ultimately grew on me and in the end I gad the most fun with it. Everything being destructable helped there too.

mZuzek said:

#36 - You play as the son of the final boss of most of this series' games.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?

GoOnKid said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are the hints for another batch of games on my list to guess.

45. Overall I prefer the more linear games from this series, but I decided to remove "Bloodlines" from my list to make room for this game.

44.  I discovered this digital only tower defense game on the PS3 while I was waiting for some fun physical games to be released.

43.  This entry from a popular RPG series decided to use a game world that was previously only used in spinoff games from the series.

42.  I've always loved this PS3 sequel, but previously I didn't put it on my list.  I've considered it to be fairly similar to the first entry in the series which is much higher on my list.  Maybe the fact that the first game is now on Switch made me change my mind.

43. Final Fantasy XII

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Is 37 Marvel Super Heroes?

No, but pretty close.

My #43 is correct.  Good job!

Is your #37 Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

Around the Network

Here are some more hints from me:

45. a) Overall I prefer the more linear games from this series, but I decided to remove "Bloodlines" from my list to make room for this game.
b) After you've explored almost everything, this game uses a clever trick to effectively double the size of the game.

44.  a) I discovered this digital only tower defense game on the PS3 while I was waiting for some fun physical games to be released.
b) This is part of a series of games, but most games in the series tend to be of a totally different genre than the others.

42. a) I've always loved this PS3 sequel, but previously I didn't put it on my list.  I've considered it to be fairly similar to the first entry in the series which is much higher on my list.  Maybe the fact that the first game is now on Switch made me change my mind.
b) Some fans of the series criticized this second entry for being "too easy".

41.  This is a more kid friendly GBA sequel to a PS1 game with a more serious storyline.

All but one game has been guessed, so here's another hint for the remaining one.

#35:

• The main character's mistake at the start of the game leads to the death of his mother after she saves him from drowning.
  • Dark Djinn and White Witch

The_Liquid_Laser said:

45. a) Overall I prefer the more linear games from this series, but I decided to remove "Bloodlines" from my list to make room for this game.
b) After you've explored almost everything, this game uses a clever trick to effectively double the size of the game.

42. a) I've always loved this PS3 sequel, but previously I didn't put it on my list.  I've considered it to be fairly similar to the first entry in the series which is much higher on my list.  Maybe the fact that the first game is now on Switch made me change my mind.
b) Some fans of the series criticised this second entry for being "too easy".

45: Sometimes I feel like guessing the same game of multiple people lists, but Symphony of the Night.

42: Dark Souls 2?

Kakadu18 said:

The ghost catching part I think was done the best in LM2, especially because of it having the biggest ghost variety. The first part has the best atmosphere and is genuinly creepy. LM3 has the best puzzles and boss fights, King Boo in particular is a stand out. I was at first disappointed with LM3 because it constantly recycled the same few ghost types, but it ultimately grew on me and in the end I gad the most fun with it. Everything being destructible helped there too.

Definitely agree on the boss fights being best in 3. King Boo yes but I also loved the Pyramid and the film set boss.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

44.  a) I discovered this digital only tower defense game on the PS3 while I was waiting for some fun physical games to be released.
b) This is part of a series of games, but most games in the series tend to be of a totally different genre than the others.

b) Some fans of the series criticized this second entry for being "too easy".

41.  This is a more kid friendly GBA sequel to a PS1 game with a more serious storyline.

#44 is the PixelJunk series. Tower Defense must be PixelJunk Monsters.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]