By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

#47: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

My first Smash Bros. and an absolute blast.
It has a huge amount of content; tons of modes, characters, stages among other stuff. It's daunting at first. Most characters' movesets are fun and just battling with my own set of rules for hours offline is already fun to me.
Never tried online, would've likely been frustrating.
I mainly play as Bowser, Ridley or Bayonetta.
Smash Ultimate is not to complicated and rather easy to get into and it's huge amount of content guarantees that it never gets boring.
My favorite fighting game.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 16 November 2021

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
S.Peelman said:

46: Final Fantasy VI.

Nope, and FF series titles are actually vastly different from each other to a point that nobody knows how exactly the next installment will look alike when it comes to gameplay

Is it Pokémon?

Edit: guess it is. Since you just posted it in your list in the official thread.

So here goes my bottom 5:

#50 Metal Slug X - Playstation 1

#49 Pikmin 3 (Deluxe) - Nintendo Switch

#48 Super Mario 64 - Nintendo 64

#47 Fire Emblem Awakening - Nintendo 3DS

#46 Pokemon SoulSilver - Nintendo DS Game

Metal X Slug as I said is a game that is here solely because not only I played it A LOT but also still enjoying to play it to date, I have it on my Steam account and can play regularly when bored. It take maybe 60 minutes to beat so it's an easy pick to beat while travelling with my laptop. It's not a huge game and it's here more as a franchise representative than anything, that's why I'm putting it only a 50. Make it nonetheless

Pikmin 3 is just adorable. I tried the demo and after a few hours I just bought the physical version. It's not a huge or ambitious title but it's fairly original, I can't recall playing anything like it before. I hope the next games are a bit bigger in scope because the only downside of Pikmin 3 is to be too short, the fun ends when you aren't even expecting!

SM64 suffers from all early 3D problems I've already mentioned, if the camera had a more fixed perspective (like let's say Crash Bandicoot which some times feel like a 2D game) this could be placed better, but nowadays the game just does not have a smooth experience to make it higher in the list. Great thing it was the roots for even better 3D games that came next.

I think my grip with Awakening is that now I'm experienced enough with game to understand how to completely break it with pairing systems which makes the whole experience less fulfilling. The story of this entry isn't exactly brilliant, but serves its purpose and I like how they integrate the support mechanic into actual meaningful narrative. T

SoulSilver is my pick as the definitive Pokemon game. It features 2 regions (including the arguably most iconic region) and a huge post game with a lot of legendaries, a Battle Frontier, secret regions to unlock and so on. By that time the game still had a drop of difficulty and wasn't just mindless clicking in your strongest move because you are far too over-leveled to have any challenge. It also have a very nice and lovely addiction of Pokemons following you that has removed for whatever reason.  

Portal 2 (PC)

YoY: +1

At this point there really isn't much I can say about Portal 2 that would be in any way new or different. Simply put, it's a brilliant first person puzzle game, perhaps still the best of its kind even a decade after its release, one that added to the original without taking away any of its brilliance.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Are these boringly easy?

Here are more hints:

#45: A Capgod game that was originally a flop, but a rerelease boasting a higher resolution in it's name later turned it into a success.

#44: You wake up on a field, you don't know where you are nor who you are, but what you know is that the game you're in saved it's franchise from dying.

45 is... Okami?

47 is Smash Bros ultimate.

Don't know the other 2.

Oops, somehow missed your answer.

Yes, #45 is Okami and 47 is Smash Ultimate.

Kakadu18 said:

#44: You wake up on a field, you don't know where you are nor who you are, but what you know is that the game you're in saved it's franchise from dying.

This is maybe to cryptic.

Here's a better hint:

#44: A long running strategy franchise with only low commercial success on the brink of getting shelved by the publisher, saved by this games breakout success.

Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Here's a better hint:

#44: A long running strategy franchise with only low commercial success on the brink of getting shelved by the publisher, saved by this games breakout success.

I think you have amnesia in Fire Emblem. So Fire Emblem Awakening?

Zippy6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Here's a better hint:

I think you have amnesia in Fire Emblem. So Fire Emblem Awakening?

Yeah, it's that one. You have amnesia and you wake up on a field at the start.

#47The Battle for Wesnoth
guessed byno one
platformLinux
release year2005
developer/publisherDavid White and others
genreturn-based tactics with RPG elements
linksWikipedia
download and play for free (for PC)
Steam (for free)
past years2020: #45, 2019: #35, 2018: #26, 2017: #22

As a fan of turn-based strategy and tactics games The Battle for Wesnoth is a game right up my alley. You play missions on a hex based map, where you position your troops and fight the enemy not unlike Fire Emblem. In difference to FE (besides the hexfield) you hire most of your troops instead of getting them through story (although you get these too). A major difference too is managing your gold as a resource to hire troops and recall to them battle in the next scenarios. Troops also need upkeep, so you have to balance the number of units with the number of villages you captured.

The game has many things to consider, like the terrain which hinders movement and gives boni and mali depending on troop type or the day-night-cycle, which also can give some units advantages. For instance dwarf units get boni in mountains, while merfolk is better in water. The story is progressed by overlayed text-boxes.

The setting is a medieval magical fantasy world. Many of the factions you can play are typical: humans with knights, mages or sometimes thieves, dwarfes, elves, orcs and so on. Merfolk on the other hand was something I don't see happen that often. Or undeads.

The game has currently 17 main campaigns. I say currently, because the game is constantly developed on. That is not all. The game has a thriving community, that develops tons of user-generated campaigns, maps or add-ons. Each campaign has it's own story, although they may be connected as all happens in the same setting. If playing the single-player campaigns aren't enough for you, you can play online matches.

This is an open-source game, meaning it can be downloaded and played for free and also that it is developed by multiple people over time, as everyone can join in. It includes a lot of tools to create your own map scenarios and campaigns, so there is a lot of user-created stuff downloadable.

You can join in on the free download from website or via Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDDKImYOIvA

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]