By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:

Nay? Second hint then;

#1: This game was initially supposed to only take place in one building.

Hint 2: This building is a castle, a castle that at least by name is still in the game, at the very end.

Ocarina of Time

Around the Network
#8Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
guessed byThe_Liquid_Laser
platformPS2
release year2001
developer/publisherRacjin/Atlus
genreRPG
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #14, 2019: #14, 2018: #11, 2017: #15

A game which I don't often see featured as a classic great game, although it really is. This Wizardry spinoff is one the greatest RPGs of all time. It's battle system is classic but works well. The scenario and story are interesting and dark, the design of enemies is inventive and it has nicely implemented characters. The game has stellar level-design, something I see often for Atlus games. This whole package is pretty great.

Tale of the Forsaken Land is a dungeon crawler. You create your character quite freely and then go hire more people to form a party to start exploring the labyrinth. The story background is the kingdom of Duhan, which is pretty destroyed as an event called the Flash struck the land. Now a dangerous labyrinth exists within the ruins with lots of monsters. The labyrinth has parts of the former kingdom of Duhan, that are now through the events rearranged and becoming part of the dangerous landscape. You set off with your party to explore the labyrinth and discover the reasons for the recent events.

Although there can be humorous moments, the overall tone of the game is pretty dark. This is expressed by colors, music, the quests you get from the people in the Inn and how the story unfolds.

The fighting system is quite classic, but has some twists with the allied actions. In the labyrinth you have additional things to do, like open new paths or unlock trapped treasure chests.

This game is a pretty gem, clearly underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWkzFNTBo0

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Another hint for #2:

#2:
Magandang tanghali po!
Boa tarde!
Saluton! Do you know Esperanto? Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto. Guessed by Darashiva.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 28 December 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Kakadu18 said:
S.Peelman said:

Nay? Second hint then;

#1: This game was initially supposed to only take place in one building.

Hint 2: This building is a castle, a castle that at least by name is still in the game, at the very end.

Ocarina of Time

The one and only!

And with that, we've gone through all 50 games. Thanks everyone.

Mnementh said:

Another hint for #2:

#2:
Magandang tanghali po!
Boa tarde!
Saluton! Do you know Esperanto? Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

Katamari Damacy. Clever to use the King of the Cosmos' quotes as hints.

Around the Network

#5: Super Mario Sunshine

I think this is the most underrated game on my list. I consider Sunshine to be a masterpiece, but sadly not very many people agree with me. I'm not completely sure but I think Super Mario Sunshine was the first Gamecube game I played. I just love this tropical island setting. The soundtrack is full of character and very memorable, everything looks gorgeous. The NPCs are hilarious, I always loved messing with them. Very often I wouldn't just go straight for the shine but instead I would just mess around in the levels. The story is more interesting than in most Mario games with a plot that doesn't start with Peach getting kidnapped. The different places on Isle Delfino are ver  different from each other and fun to explore. The blue coins add and incentive to do that. There are some really unique shines like the roller coaster baloon one or the one where you save that mayor. The gameplay is incredibly fun to me with fludd. The fluddless levels used to be extra hard but after playing through the game over a dozen times the entire game is pretty easy to me but not less fun.

Last year when during the Mario Direct Super Mario 64 was shown I got excited because I hoped for Sunshine too and when it showed up too I went crazy from excitement. It was a dream come true. Playing Super Mario Sunshine in HD in handheld still feels sureal. I hadn't played Sunshine in years and replaying after so much time was so awesome, so refreshing. I was reliving my childhood.

Together with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess Super Mario Sunshine is one of the most important childhood experiences for me. Sunshine is my favorite platformer and my favorite Mario game.

So with that this is the final result of the guesses. It was a pretty tight competition for a while, but congrats to The_Liquid_Laser for securing the victory! Again, thanks everyone.

The_Liquid_Laser8
Darashiva6
drbunnig6
coolbeans5
Mnementh3
TruckOSaurus3
Zippy62
Farsala2
GoOnKid2
Kakadu182
UnderwaterFunktown1
kenjab1
Machina1
Link_Nines.XBC1
Platina1
Vinther19911
Unguessed5

Darashiva said:
Mnementh said:

Another hint for #2:

#2:
Magandang tanghali po!
Boa tarde!
Saluton! Do you know Esperanto? Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

Katamari Damacy. Clever to use the King of the Cosmos' quotes as hints.

Yes, We were naughty. Completely naughty. So, so very sorry. But just between you and Us, It felt quite good. ❤︎ Not that We can remember very clearly, but We were in all Nature’s embrace. We felt the beauty of all things, and felt love for all. That’s how it was.

Indeed, the brilliant Katamari Damacy.

#7Octopath Traveler
platformSwitch
release year2018
developer/publisherSquare Enix
genreturn based RPG
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #8, 2019: #5, 2018: #2

For a quite time Square gave us trailers and early trailer for a project codenamed Octopath Traveler, without a decision on the final name. And each time it looked sweeter and sweeter. Finally they decided to take the codename as final name and released a great turn based RPG, with many things taken from the experiences in the past and what worked so great in these games, but also with lessons learned and modernized things. This both for the gameplay mechanics and the graphic.

I think the most discussion was about the artstyle and graphics of these games. Detractors said it is old graphics. But don't be fooled: Although pixel-art is used as texture, it still is a modern 3D-engine with a lot of effects in lighting, particles, water, god-rays and many other stuff, that was simply impossible on past hardware and software. And the designers at Square combined it into something so unique, so awesome, the art-style alone makes Octopath Traveler an unforgettable game.

But that isn't it alone. The fighting system is very advanced too. With the break system and weaknesses it makes fights pretty tactical and you have to make good use of it for many bosses in the game. The game also incorporated modified elements of the Bravely Default series, with the ability to boost your attack if you had saved up the points for multiple rounds. Combined you could use it to hit foes hard after you had broken their defenses, before they could regain their stance.

Outside of battle you had many interactions with the big amount of NPCs, including character specific actions. As the name suggests you have eight different main characters with different stories that progress, as they travel together through Orsterra. And it would be an error not to mention the soundtrack, this soundtrack is awesome and I often listen to it while working.

This game is a unique and awesome experience and I am sure it will be remembered as one of the defining games of the Switch. I would really like to see remakes of the early Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games in this style. Please Square, hear me out, this is a great idea. Anyways, I think everyone with a Switch and a love for RPGs should give this game a try. This game is also released on PC and Stadia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmi8KrntszI

Mnementh said:
#7Octopath Traveler
platformSwitch
release year2018
developer/publisherSquare Enix
genreturn based RPG
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #8, 2019: #5, 2018: #2

For a quite time Square gave us trailers and early trailer for a project codenamed Octopath Traveler, without a decision on the final name. And each time it looked sweeter and sweeter. Finally they decided to take the codename as final name and released a great turn based RPG, with many things taken from the experiences in the past and what worked so great in these games, but also with lessons learned and modernized things. This both for the gameplay mechanics and the graphic.

I think the most discussion was about the artstyle and graphics of these games. Detractors said it is old graphics. But don't be fooled: Although pixel-art is used as texture, it still is a modern 3D-engine with a lot of effects in lighting, particles, water, god-rays and many other stuff, that was simply impossible on past hardware and software. And the designers at Square combined it into something so unique, so awesome, the art-style alone makes Octopath Traveler an unforgettable game.

But that isn't it alone. The fighting system is very advanced too. With the break system and weaknesses it makes fights pretty tactical and you have to make good use of it for many bosses in the game. The game also incorporated modified elements of the Bravely Default series, with the ability to boost your attack if you had saved up the points for multiple rounds. Combined you could use it to hit foes hard after you had broken their defenses, before they could regain their stance.

Outside of battle you had many interactions with the big amount of NPCs, including character specific actions. As the name suggests you have eight different main characters with different stories that progress, as they travel together through Orsterra. And it would be an error not to mention the soundtrack, this soundtrack is awesome and I often listen to it while working.

This game is a unique and awesome experience and I am sure it will be remembered as one of the defining games of the Switch. I would really like to see remakes of the early Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games in this style. Please Square, hear me out, this is a great idea. Anyways, I think everyone with a Switch and a love for RPGs should give this game a try. This game is also released on PC and Stadia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmi8KrntszI

Game is underrated as heck; It'd be on my list if I was allowed to consolidate more entries on my list. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android