By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales on the Rise - Global Hardware Oct 24 to 30

PAOerfulone said:
Zippy6 said:

The problem Dread does have is that no matter what it's still a 2d Metroidvania game. What's the highest selling title in that genre? It will always have a limited reach because of the type of game it is.

Still Dread has the potential to be the best selling game in that genre ever.

Limits were meant to be broken.

Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda game and it didn't even reach 10 million. Breath of the Wild is on track for over 30 million.

Not a single Fire Emblem sold over 1 million before Awakening. Not Fates and Three Houses have each sold at least 3 million
Super Mario Odyssey has blown every other 3D Mario game out of the water and effectively raised the ceiling for ALL 3D platformers in the process.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is on pace for 50, possibly 60 million... When it wasn't that long ago where nobody thought a racing game would ever touch Mario Kart Wii's numbers again. Monster Hunter Rise is well on its way to being the best selling 3rd party game on any Nintendo platform. 

To my knowledge, the best selling "Metroidvania" is Hollow Knight, which was at 2.8 million sales by February 2019. It's more than likely sold well beyond that since then. So the ceiling for "Metroidvania" is even higher than Metroid itself. 

So, Dread could absolutely do the same thing as the other Nintendo games I've mentioned. The Switch does not give a shit genres or limits. It just sells. Along with everything on it. Dread has all it needs to break that glass ceiling wide open.

If Dread even gets close to Hollow Knight it will be far more impressive since it's only available on one device, whereas Hollow Knight is available on many.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
PAOerfulone said:

Limits were meant to be broken.

Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda game and it didn't even reach 10 million. Breath of the Wild is on track for over 30 million.

Not a single Fire Emblem sold over 1 million before Awakening. Not Fates and Three Houses have each sold at least 3 million
Super Mario Odyssey has blown every other 3D Mario game out of the water and effectively raised the ceiling for ALL 3D platformers in the process.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is on pace for 50, possibly 60 million... When it wasn't that long ago where nobody thought a racing game would ever touch Mario Kart Wii's numbers again. Monster Hunter Rise is well on its way to being the best selling 3rd party game on any Nintendo platform. 

To my knowledge, the best selling "Metroidvania" is Hollow Knight, which was at 2.8 million sales by February 2019. It's more than likely sold well beyond that since then. So the ceiling for "Metroidvania" is even higher than Metroid itself. 

So, Dread could absolutely do the same thing as the other Nintendo games I've mentioned. The Switch does not give a shit genres or limits. It just sells. Along with everything on it. Dread has all it needs to break that glass ceiling wide open.

If Dread even gets close to Hollow Knight it will be far more impressive since it's only available on one device, whereas Hollow Knight is available on many.

Hollow Knight sold 2.8mil as of February 2019. Dread should definitely at least come close to this.

Kakadu18 said:
Dulfite said:

Hollow Knight sold 2.8mil as of February 2019. Dread should definitely at least come close to this.

Sure, I'm just saying, I'd be more impressed by Dread selling 0.8 million on Switch alone than I would Hollow Knight selling 4 million across many devices over multiple generations.

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

Sure, I'm just saying, I'd be more impressed by Dread selling 0.8 million on Switch alone than I would Hollow Knight selling 4 million across many devices over multiple generations.

Hollow Knight = An indie game from three developers from Australia that nobody knew before Hollow Knight, was made by crowdfunding and become popular only because of the world of mouth

Metroid = The 8th instalment of an IP from one of the worlds biggest game publishers that probably got more marketing and advertising on its first weak than Hollow Knight on its lifetime

I strongly advice you to review your assertions because those games weren't even remotely in the same ground when it comes to sales potential when they were released. Hollow Knight is already among the best selling indie games of all time, Metroid Dread is likely to miss the top 20 best selling Switch games

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

Plus Hollow Knight is like $15 vs Metroid Dread being $60

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

Dread definitely already sold more than 800k. Prepare to be impressed come February.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

Hollow Knight = An indie game from three developers from Australia that nobody knew before Hollow Knight, was made by crowdfunding and become popular only because of the world of mouth

Metroid = The 8th instalment of an IP from one of the worlds biggest game publishers that probably got more marketing and advertising on its first weak than Hollow Knight on its lifetime

I strongly advice you to review your assertions because those games weren't even remotely in the same ground when it comes to sales potential when they were released. Hollow Knight is already among the best selling indie games of all time, Metroid Dread is likely to miss the top 20 best selling Switch games

You strongly advise me to review my assertions? What is this, some drama show like Dr. Phil? Lol chill, it's my opinion.

Metroid Dread is the first game in a long time because the previous games didn't sell well compared to other series(if they did, they would have made more 2d Metroid games despite whatever technological barrier they referenced as being the problem). Metroid 1 sold the best, at 2.73 mil. The rest of them sold 1 mil or more less, with multiple not even topping 1 million according to the database.

It's a LOT riskier for Nintendo to greenlight a full HD 2.5d game made by a much larger team on a niche series than it was for a tiny team to make an artful, less graphically intense Hollow Knight. I absolutely love Hollow Knight's art style, by the way, as I own the game, but it wasn't nearly as expensive to make as something like Dread, so the risk taken here is more impressive for Nintendo.

The price is also a big thing. If Nintendo sells just 1 million Dread copies at $60 each, that's $60 million in revenue. Hollow Knight's full price was/is $15 from what I've researched (further reflecting how cheap to make it was). If it sells 3 million copies that's $45 million in revenue, which is less than Dread will make selling a lot less copies. Plus, Hollow goes on sale a lot more than Dread will (being a first party Nintendo game) so the difference is probably even greater there. Again, Dread impresses me more here.

You are right on marketing, at least for now. Nintendo has talked and advertised Dread a lot, but that will quickly evaporate as they move on to their next big exclusives coming. The indy game scene has basically continued focusing on whatever the best games it has in each genre until something comes out that finally beats it. People still talk about Shovel Knight, Minecraft, and Hollow Knight all these years later (not just players and companies, but gaming websites, giving them continued advertising constantly) because nothing had come out to beat those games in their fields, despite thousands of attempts. Sure, companies will hype up whatever they think the next big thing is, but when it fails to beat the indie Giants they rapidly move on to the next 4 person team working from a basement. It makes Hollow Knight getting to the top impressive, but it doesn't make its leg sales or continued being at the top seem impressive to me, because in my opinion, the Indy scene continues to freely advertise and highlight it's historically best games, which causes people like me to buy Hollow Knight or Minecraft years after everyone because of all those free references they receive years later by gaming websites, only to discover I didn't even play them much after purchasing.

Dread sold 854k in the US alone!

Add the 128k physical units it has already sold in Japan, Dread has to have comfortably passed 1 million in just the US and Japan alone. That's not including Europe, the rest of NA, and the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure this game is closer to 2 million than 1 million when you account for overall worldwide shipped + digital figures.

Well, well, well, would you look at that! As if right on cue! 

I said from the get-go that Dread had everything it needed to raise the bar for the Metroid franchise. And it is well on its way!

PAOerfulone said:

Add the 128k physical units it has already sold in Japan, Dread has to have comfortably passed 1 million in just the US and Japan alone. That's not including Europe, the rest of NA, and the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure this game is closer to 2 million than 1 million when you account for overall worldwide shipped + digital figures.

I said from the get-go that Dread had everything it needed to raise the bar for the Metroid franchise. And it is well on its way!

@Dulfite Are you impressed?

I myself am very impressed by Metroid Dread's sales performance.

Kakadu18 said:
PAOerfulone said:

@Dulfite Are you impressed?

I myself am very impressed by Metroid Dread's sales performance.

I am extremely impressed! This could be the best selling Metroidvania ever, and only on one system at $60 each. Easily will generate the most revenue for a metroidvania game ever.