By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales on the Rise - Global Hardware Oct 24 to 30

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through October 30

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to November 3)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to November 2)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to October 31)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to October 30)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 1,712,665 (-70.4%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – n/a

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 1,505,411 (-8.3%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 367,023 (-91.9%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 5,213,476 (-72.7%)
  • PlayStation 5 – n/a

I've predicted 7.5 million for the Series this year, if the shortage continues, even with weeks at 200k my prediction will be spot on

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

I've predicted 7.5 million for the Series this year, if the shortage continues, even with weeks at 200k my prediction will be spot on

I wouldn't be surprised if black friday and December weeks are lacking due to stock issues but I would be very surprised if they were so lacking to barely cause any increase since they're surely stockpiling some units for the last couple months of the year. If the shortages do end up being that bad though it'll be really sad to see.

Spain Week 43

UK OCT 2021

mk7sx said:

Spain Week 43

UK OCT 2021

Awesome Metroid Dread performance in Spain.

Kakadu18 said:
mk7sx said:

Spain Week 43

UK OCT 2021

Awesome Metroid Dread performance in Spain.

Sucks that we have to wait til early February to get numbers for Dread, I'm itching to know how well it has sold. I really think it will be to Metroid what Awakening was to Fire Emblem and elevate the sales ceiling for the franchise.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
InkIt said:

Good luck finding a Series X. 

no shortages here, my retailer has everything

source : me and my untrustworthy links

Sorry, need at least a twitter imbed or I don't believe you.

You could argue that there is not shortage of anything at all. The price of what you have to pay over MSRP just fluctuates. 

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Sucks that we have to wait til early February to get numbers for Dread, I'm itching to know how well it has sold. I really think it will be to Metroid what Awakening was to Fire Emblem and elevate the sales ceiling for the franchise.

Very doubtful.

The most important factor for rising Fire Emblem sales was that the games prior to Awakening received only very minor marketing. The same doesn't hold true for the Metroid series, so if Dread merely matches the previous ceiling of 2.5-3.0m, it should be considered a satisfying result.

There are many more factors that go into a game's sales than just marketing.

The biggest thing that held Fire Emblem back, besides marking, was its permadeath feature in its games. Keep in mind, the series up to that point was a hard series meant for more experienced players. Hell, games like Radiant Dawn were way too damn hard for their own good. So to add a permadeath feature on top of that, that scared off potential newbies to the franchise until Awakening made it optional and toned down the difficulty.
That was going to be the last game in the series if it didn't sell 250k, so Intelligent Systems, as terrified as they were, gave that game everything they had and tried to make it as accessible as they could or that would've been it. The end result was a kick ass, strategy RPG that people could pick up and play and not worry about losing their characters midway through and actually connect with them and not pull your hair out ever 5 minutes you get your ass handed to you in a battle.

As for Metroid:

Consider that Prime 1 was on a limited install base in the GameCube, which as a borderline stinker in sales. And Prime 3 just wasn't the kind of game that appealed to casual players, the vast majority of the Wii's install base.

Dread doesn't have either of those problems. The Switch is more successful than either the Wii or GameCube were and will go on to outsell both of them combined (and by a comfortable margin from the looks of it). And it's a far more popular system amongst dedicated, hardcore gamers than the Wii ever was.

PAOerfulone said:

Dread doesn't have either of those problems. The Switch is more successful than either the Wii or GameCube were and will go on to outsell both of them combined (and by a comfortable margin from the looks of it). And it's a far more popular system amongst dedicated, hardcore gamers than the Wii ever was.

The problem Dread does have is that no matter what it's still a 2d Metroidvania game. What's the highest selling title in that genre? It will always have a limited reach because of the type of game it is.

Still Dread has the potential to be the best selling game in that genre ever. Being a fairly lackluster year for Nintendo first party gives Metroid a bigger platform than it might otherwise have too.

Nice to see VGChartz being used out there.  I know we don't show our appreciation for the numbers sometimes, but thanks for all the hard work that goes into it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.