By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales on the Rise - Global Hardware Oct 24 to 30

You could argue that there is not shortage of anything at all. The price of what you have to pay over MSRP just fluctuates. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Awesome Metroid Dread performance in Spain.

Sucks that we have to wait til early February to get numbers for Dread, I'm itching to know how well it has sold. I really think it will be to Metroid what Awakening was to Fire Emblem and elevate the sales ceiling for the franchise.

Very doubtful.

The most important factor for rising Fire Emblem sales was that the games prior to Awakening received only very minor marketing. The same doesn't hold true for the Metroid series, so if Dread merely matches the previous ceiling of 2.5-3.0m, it should be considered a satisfying result.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Sucks that we have to wait til early February to get numbers for Dread, I'm itching to know how well it has sold. I really think it will be to Metroid what Awakening was to Fire Emblem and elevate the sales ceiling for the franchise.

Very doubtful.

The most important factor for rising Fire Emblem sales was that the games prior to Awakening received only very minor marketing. The same doesn't hold true for the Metroid series, so if Dread merely matches the previous ceiling of 2.5-3.0m, it should be considered a satisfying result.

There are many more factors that go into a game's sales than just marketing.

The biggest thing that held Fire Emblem back, besides marking, was its permadeath feature in its games. Keep in mind, the series up to that point was a hard series meant for more experienced players. Hell, games like Radiant Dawn were way too damn hard for their own good. So to add a permadeath feature on top of that, that scared off potential newbies to the franchise until Awakening made it optional and toned down the difficulty.
That was going to be the last game in the series if it didn't sell 250k, so Intelligent Systems, as terrified as they were, gave that game everything they had and tried to make it as accessible as they could or that would've been it. The end result was a kick ass, strategy RPG that people could pick up and play and not worry about losing their characters midway through and actually connect with them and not pull your hair out ever 5 minutes you get your ass handed to you in a battle.

As for Metroid:

Consider that Prime 1 was on a limited install base in the GameCube, which as a borderline stinker in sales. And Prime 3 just wasn't the kind of game that appealed to casual players, the vast majority of the Wii's install base.

Dread doesn't have either of those problems. The Switch is more successful than either the Wii or GameCube were and will go on to outsell both of them combined (and by a comfortable margin from the looks of it). And it's a far more popular system amongst dedicated, hardcore gamers than the Wii ever was.

PAOerfulone said:

Dread doesn't have either of those problems. The Switch is more successful than either the Wii or GameCube were and will go on to outsell both of them combined (and by a comfortable margin from the looks of it). And it's a far more popular system amongst dedicated, hardcore gamers than the Wii ever was.

The problem Dread does have is that no matter what it's still a 2d Metroidvania game. What's the highest selling title in that genre? It will always have a limited reach because of the type of game it is.

Still Dread has the potential to be the best selling game in that genre ever. Being a fairly lackluster year for Nintendo first party gives Metroid a bigger platform than it might otherwise have too.

Gamerscore:20,000  -  Trophies:3,800 -  Nintendo Awards: -1

My Xbox Series S is my baby. It grew up into an X.

Nice to see VGChartz being used out there.  I know we don't show our appreciation for the numbers sometimes, but thanks for all the hard work that goes into it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

The problem Dread does have is that no matter what it's still a 2d Metroidvania game. What's the highest selling title in that genre? It will always have a limited reach because of the type of game it is.

Still Dread has the potential to be the best selling game in that genre ever.

Limits were meant to be broken.

Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda game and it didn't even reach 10 million. Breath of the Wild is on track for over 30 million.

Not a single Fire Emblem sold over 1 million before Awakening. Not Fates and Three Houses have each sold at least 3 million
Super Mario Odyssey has blown every other 3D Mario game out of the water and effectively raised the ceiling for ALL 3D platformers in the process.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is on pace for 50, possibly 60 million... When it wasn't that long ago where nobody thought a racing game would ever touch Mario Kart Wii's numbers again. Monster Hunter Rise is well on its way to being the best selling 3rd party game on any Nintendo platform. 

To my knowledge, the best selling "Metroidvania" is Hollow Knight, which was at 2.8 million sales by February 2019. It's more than likely sold well beyond that since then. So the ceiling for "Metroidvania" is even higher than Metroid itself. 

So, Dread could absolutely do the same thing as the other Nintendo games I've mentioned. The Switch does not give a shit genres or limits. It just sells. Along with everything on it. Dread has all it needs to break that glass ceiling wide open.

DroidKnight said:

Nice to see VGChartz being used out there.  I know we don't show our appreciation for the numbers sometimes, but thanks for all the hard work that goes into it.

That is cool to see. Especially on such a large channel. I remember when Scott the Woz flashed our old hardware graph from the front page some odd years ago and was like "wait a second that looked familiar!" 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here. (As a note there were minor adjustments in the UK and Spain based on new sales data since I did the weekly hardware figures on Monday).

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 51

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. 

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 14,684,711
  2. PS5: 13,869,005
  3. XSX|S: 8,427,936

Through the first 51 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.82 million units and is 6.26 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 5.44 million units.

The Switch has sold 14.68 million in 51 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 13.87 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 8.43 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 51 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 39.7 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 37.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.8 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 5,320,083
  2. PS5: 4,933,779
  3. XSX|S: 3,830,225

Through the first 51 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.39 million units and is 1.49 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.10 million units.

The Switch has sold 5.232 million in 51 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 4.93 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 3.83 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 51 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 37.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 35.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 27.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (50 weeks):

1. PS5: 5,272,411
  2. Switch: 3,728,558
  3. XSX|S: 2,643,552

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 50 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.54 million units and is 2.63 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.09 million units.

The PS5 has sold 5.27 million in 50 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 3.73 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 2.64 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 50 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 45.3 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 32.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 3,748,258
  2. PS5: 1,161,866
  3. XSX|S: 115,484

Through the first 51 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.59 million units and is 3.63 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.05 million units.

The Switch has sold 3.75 million units in 51 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.16 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.12 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 51 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 74.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 23.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.3 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PAOerfulone said:
RolStoppable said:

Very doubtful.

There are many more factors that go into a game's sales than just marketing.

The biggest thing that held Fire Emblem back, besides marking, was its permadeath feature in its games. Keep in mind, the series up to that point was a hard series meant for more experienced players. Hell, games like Radiant Dawn were way too damn hard for their own good. So to add a permadeath feature on top of that, that scared off potential newbies to the franchise until Awakening made it optional and toned down the difficulty.
That was going to be the last game in the series if it didn't sell 250k, so Intelligent Systems, as terrified as they were, gave that game everything they had and tried to make it as accessible as they could or that would've been it. The end result was a kick ass, strategy RPG that people could pick up and play and not worry about losing their characters midway through and actually connect with them and not pull your hair out ever 5 minutes you get your ass handed to you in a battle.

As for Metroid:

Consider that Prime 1 was on a limited install base in the GameCube, which as a borderline stinker in sales. And Prime 3 just wasn't the kind of game that appealed to casual players, the vast majority of the Wii's install base.

Permadeath was made optional in New Mystery of the Emblem, the DS remake of Fire Emblem 3 that preceded Awakening. Radiant Dawn allows hard saves anytime during the player's turn, at least on easy and normal difficulty; it's only on hard mode that there's only the typical soft save available. Shadow Dragon, the DS remake of Fire Emblem 1, provided two hard save points per chapter from chapter 2 onwards. So no, I don't believe it that permadeath was that much of an obstacle before Awakening. Path of Radiance added a West-exclusive easy mode which is Japan's easy mode with 50% higher EXP gains; characters level up so fast that much of the challenge becomes trivial, so even newcomers don't have to feel anxious all the time.

Before Awakening, even most Nintendo fans only knew of Fire Emblem through Roy and Marth in the Super Smash Bros. series. Only the name though, not what the games were actually about. That's why marketing made such a big difference for Awakening.

Metroid's sales were never big enough to be hindered by an installed base as low as the GC's. Metroid is a series that appeals to the experienced gamer, so a console that sells first and foremost to experienced gamers has the majority of potential customers on board. It was also Metroid's first 3D outing, so a sales boost over its direct sequels (Echoes and Corruption sold about the same) doesn't require a bigger look at the consoles the games were released on. Likewise, Switch isn't going to provide much of a boost to such a game; we already know that Fire Emblem didn't do much better than on the 3DS. The increase in what you call "dedicated hardcore gamers" will come down to Switch being released 11 years after the Wii, so the total number of experienced gamers has naturally grown over time.

Hollow Knight's sales don't mean much. It was a $15 game that has also gone on sale plenty of times. At these price levels people hardly think about taking a chance.

What you have to consider is that Nintendo didn't mention Metroid Dread during their financial briefing. They usually mention recent releases that missed the shipment data cut-off when they've done well and are contributing to the business in a noteworthy way. That's why it's fair to assume that Dread has done just okay and isn't on track to set new franchise records for sure. Perhaps time will be in Dread's favor, but that's up in the air.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Very doubtful.

The ceiling for Metroid sales is quite low at just 2.8 million, and Dread has been very well received, has 19 years of built up demand on its side plus a ton of hype, and has the Switch factor on its side. 

Under the circumstances I'd personally be disappointed if it doesn't outsell Prime 1 to become the new highest selling series entry.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.