By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 42, 2021 - (11th Oct - 17th Oct)

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm still not sure what is driving XBox sales.

Availability of the Series S

Around the Network

Not gonna lie, I bought a Japanese series s this past week ^_^

我是广州人

Xbox Series sales are just normal Xbox sales. It was Xbox One that had abnormal sales.

is it demon slayer or goblin slayer?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

tbone51 said:

241 weeks BotW was in the top. For reference ACNL 3dS leggiest game made top 30 for almost 80 weeks

Do you have a reference about that? Because I saw this today, which says ACNL is still the record holder with 264 straight weeks:

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Around the Network
kenjab said:
tbone51 said:

241 weeks BotW was in the top. For reference ACNL 3dS leggiest game made top 30 for almost 80 weeks

Do you have a reference about that? Because I saw this today, which says ACNL is still the record holder with 264 straight weeks:

That includes the Nintendo Selects release.

Edit: took a look at a random week, week 40 2014 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf was not in the top 30. For 264 weeks it would have needed to stay in the top 30 until late 2017 nonstop, which didn't happen. It had the selects and Welcome Amiibo version in the top 30 for a very long time though.

Edit 2: This tweet probably mixes Famitsu and Media Create data, which you shouldn't do, because the Media Create charts did have ACNL at #28 but it wasn't in the Famitsu top 30. Don't mix data from two different sources.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 22 October 2021

noshten said:

If they fail to achieve this I can totally see it being a supply chain and manufacturing problem rather than demand. Also I think momentum will continue into Q1. For me 2022 is still a huge year for the Switch, starting with Arceus, following it with Kirby and most importantly Splatoon 3 launching.. this will be the biggest launch on the system and is pretty much the only game I think can challenge New Horizon's launch in Japan. People underestimate how much hardware will be impacted by such a launch like they underestimated Animal Crossing. Doesn't matter that Splatoon 2 is on the system, I expect the five years gap between the two games to make it a very fresh experience with a lot of hype in Japan. Also Nintendo aren't going to shy away from doing a lot in terms of pushing it.. and it's not just Japan we are also talking near by markets. Splatoon 2 was never officially launched in China.. if Nintendo can somehow gets past the Chinese Government, Splatoon will surely be a huge hit in the country. A lot rests on Splatoon 3 next year, and knowing the team behind it and how they've been able to double the franchise sales with every entry it's likely to enter the 25M+ territory if they live up to the hype. 

Beyond Splatoon mania, a Breath of the Wild sequel.. is certainly going to propel the franchise to new heights in Japan, not as much as Splatoon but still it should have no problems to eventually join the 4 million club, something no one would have predicted for Zelda in Japan. 

I have faith, but obviously Nintendo can fuck it up, the main things are Splatoon 3 needs to feel meaty at launch, after two times users complaining about staggered content. And secondly the Zelda needs to repeat the magic. 

Third parties further supporting Switch is a given at this point, next year we are likely to see twice as many third party games on the system in comparison to 2021. 

I'm a big believer in Splatoon; I predicted 2 would more than double sales of the original back in early 2017 and a lot of people doubted it, but 3 doubling 2 seems very unlikely.

Don't get me wrong, Splatoon 3 will be huge, but I'm not seeing any factor at this point that would boost it by over 10 million over the second game.

curl-6 said:

I'm a big believer in Splatoon; I predicted 2 would more than double sales of the original back in early 2017 and a lot of people doubted it, but 3 doubling 2 seems very unlikely.

Don't get me wrong, Splatoon 3 will be huge, but I'm not seeing any factor at this point that would boost it by over 10 million over the second game.

I can understand your skepticism however I think you are underestimating the difference that can be achieved by just launching at the right time with the right WoM. 

Switch & Splatoon 2 shipments by end of September 2017: 

Switch 2017 World Wide - 7.63 million

Switch 2017 Japan - 1.78 million

Splatoon 2 World Wide - 3.61 million

Splatoon 2 Japan - 1.44 million

Splatoon 2 launched in the summer and achieved 3.61 million by the end of September 2017. It was actually severally slowed down by the size of the user-base as Nintendo's biggest online multiplayer game. It would be surprising if at launch Splatoon 3 achieves less than 3.5 million sales in Japan alone. The difference is userbase is just too big,

Userbase:

At that point physical sales per Famtisu estimates were 1.19 million, so Splatoon 2 was basically bough by 40% of Switch owners and I would go a little further and say that it drove hardware momentum by a huge amount but without adequate supply. It's the only franchise that can rival Animal Crossing in Japan, it actually increase Wii U sales for more than an year, something that no other title managed to achieve on the system. 

As we can see in the end Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Breath of the Wild ended up the best selling titles from 2017 World Wide, while Splatoon 2 was only recently overtaken by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in Japan. One of the factors that didn't help it WW was how saturated 2017 was for Nintendo, they had all these big hitters - MK8D, BotW, SMO, Splatoon 2 so their marketing had to push all of them plus other games like Arms

Once the dust had settled they still had titles to market for 2018, so as the updates faded Splatoon 2 slowed down compared to other evergreens especially World Wide. 

As discussed you are limited what you you sell at launch by the size of the user base. Potential user-base that Splatoon 3 is launching on is over 22 million in Japan and over 105 million World Wide. It will be by far the most important game launching in Japan next year, and could very well achieve over 3.5 million sales just launch day and over 5 million in it's first quarter on the market. In the meantime Nintendo has really expanded into East Asia and that's where I can see the game also becoming huge, this will help it surpass 12 million/11% attach rate World Wide in is launch quarter. 

However the more important thing is the years that follow where it continues to receive on-going support, this will help its legs be far stronger than other franchises. After all it remained the best selling evergreen in 2018 in Japan when it was regularly in the news due to a new map, new mode, new gear, new updates to PvE etc.

Famitsu Switch Top 5 2018:

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 2.360.655
  2. Pokémon: Let's Go - 1.253.677
  3. Splatoon 2 - 1.122.324
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 926.553
  5. Super Mario Party - 764.853

Now you can imagine that if it's first year in Japan is over 5 million, and the subsequent year is over 2 million, it will catch up to the likes of MK8D in the all time rankings. It will also likely benefit a huge amount from the voucher program at launch, something that didn't exist in 2017. This the reason I think that by the end of 2023 Splatoon 3 will already be past 20 million mark, how far it goes depends on the Switch's lifecycle and how long its supported.  

Development Time & Marketing

The main difference is that Splatoon 2 launched at the start of the generation to drive hardware sales in Japan. However it only had 2 years of development time and a lot of core members moved onto making New Horizon. It received updates but work on major updates ended around the end of 2018.. It had some fresh ideas but the creative team had to work on a tight deadline.

Splatoon 3 has had over 5 years for creative ideation, at least four of actual development in some capacity. There has been no rush to capitalize on it, but there is no doubt that it will be a greater investment for Nintendo as a whole into the franchise. Splatoon 2 confirmed how big it was by achieving some crazy things in Japan until its support faded. I expect this title to end up with over 2 years of support and major updates, & for it to continue to be relevant on the Switch successor or Pro. 

There are many things we are likely to learn in the lead up to the release, as Nintendo's marketing ramp ups. There are likely two major franchises for Nintendo next year - Splatoon 3 and the Breath of the Wild sequel. The comparison of how much marketing is focused on Splatoon 3 compared to how much marketing they could allocate in 2017 when they had a bunch of titles launching and also had to build hype for 2018 games. 

Splatoon is now among the Top 5 Franchises according to Nintendo themselves - so we are talking about a massive launch for a online-focused multiplayer game. It could very well be the break-out moment for the franchise in the West if we don't see the same complaints. There was years of people saying Splatoon 2 was a port; reviews were not very good because of the staggered content approach the Splatoon team took with both the first game and the sequel. One easy way to nip any such problems in the bud is to have the biggest assortment of Single Player, PvP and PvE content ready at launch this time, this could ensure a much higher Metacritic score compared to the prior game which were low 80s. 

So Switch hardware dropped again under 100K and under last years number. It will be a hard time for team 2021. We'll see how much of it is down to supply constraints and if that can be fixed in the upcoming weeks. The OLED model is the best selling model of the three, albeit it being close.

XBox keeps doing decent. I think the difference in the split between models between Xbox Series and PS5 is very interesting. For PS5 the discless model has the same power, yet the disc-based model is much more in demand, despite higher price. On the other hand for Xbox Series model S now consistently outsells model X (although lifetime X still leads from the initial launch sales). And that despite Series S being a weaker hardware than Series X. I wonder why is that. Different demographics buying Playstation and Xbox and having different preferences?

Playstation now has 12 titles in the TOP 30, nearly half. That is a massive improvement over the time Switch dominated the TOP 30 not too long ago.

I want to point out Doki Doki Literature Club, which does quite well, considering it is a western game in a typical japanese genre (visual novel) while also subverting the tropes of this genre.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

So Switch hardware dropped again under 100K and under last years number. It will be a hard time for team 2021. We'll see how much of it is down to supply constraints and if that can be fixed in the upcoming weeks. The OLED model is the best selling model of the three, albeit it being close.

XBox keeps doing decent. I think the difference in the split between models between Xbox Series and PS5 is very interesting. For PS5 the discless model has the same power, yet the disc-based model is much more in demand, despite higher price. On the other hand for Xbox Series model S now consistently outsells model X (although lifetime X still leads from the initial launch sales). And that despite Series S being a weaker hardware than Series X. I wonder why is that. Different demographics buying Playstation and Xbox and having different preferences?

Playstation now has 12 titles in the TOP 30, nearly half. That is a massive improvement over the time Switch dominated the TOP 30 not too long ago.

I want to point out Doki Doki Literature Club, which does quite well, considering it is a western game in a typical japanese genre (visual novel) while also subverting the tropes of this genre.

Bold: The reason is supply. They still all sell out very quickly. That's just what is shipped.