By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 42, 2021 - (11th Oct - 17th Oct)

Zippy6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't think PS5 software sales are weirdly low.  I think PS5 hardware sales are weirdly high.  That explains the weird attach ratio.  

Assuming the PS5 sales are mostly due to scalpers, they should have a noticeable decline in hardware sales during the early part of next year.  Once we get past holiday sales, the scalpers in Japan will focus more on OLED instead of PS5.  Of course, if PS5 sales in Japan stay good for all of next year, then I have to conclude that it isn't just scalpers causing most of its sales.  However, right now I'm assuming it's scalpers.

This is nonsensical. Scalpers buy high-demand products because they know people are desperate to get them and willing to pay above RRP. Suggesting that if scalpers didn't buy them the PS5 sales would be less and would be readily in-stock is illogical. If that were true then the scalpers would be getting more PS5's then they can sell and they would have stopped buying. It makes zero sense.

Scalping only exists for products that would actually sell-out if there was no scalping.

In Japan the sales may have been lower without scalping. Many PS5s are being bought in Japan and shipped into other countries, where demand is higher.

I think ~30-40% of the PS5s sold in Japan are scalped.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Zippy6 said:

This is nonsensical. Scalpers buy high-demand products because they know people are desperate to get them and willing to pay above RRP. Suggesting that if scalpers didn't buy them the PS5 sales would be less and would be readily in-stock is illogical. If that were true then the scalpers would be getting more PS5's then they can sell and they would have stopped buying. It makes zero sense.

Scalping only exists for products that would actually sell-out if there was no scalping.

In Japan the sales may have been lower without scalping. Many PS5s are being bought in Japan and shipped into other countries, where demand is higher.

It doesn't really matter if the consoles sell in Japan or are shipped elsewhere, regardless the demand is still there. If there isn't sufficient stock in one country and people want to import they will whether that's at RRP or from scalpers. Scalpers can't scalp unless what they are scalping would sell anyway.

I don't know if there's any evidence that a large amount of consoles are being bought in Japan and exported but I'm guessing that 30-40% figure is out of thin air.

Zippy6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

It doesn't really matter if the consoles sell in Japan or are shipped elsewhere, regardless the demand is still there. If there isn't sufficient stock in one country and people want to import they will whether that's at RRP or from scalpers. Scalpers can't scalp unless what they are scalping would sell anyway.

I don't know if there's any evidence that a large amount of consoles are being bought in Japan and exported but I'm guessing that 30-40% figure is out of thin air.

It does matter in context of the Japanese market, which this thread is about.

The 30-40% figure is an educated guess based on all the information I have. The physical game attach ratio, digital sales on Playstation in Japan not being over 50% based on RE8 only having a 30% digital share iirc and I've read about people seeing Japanese PS5 units in South America, which means they're exported way farther than just Asia.

Kakadu18 said:
Zippy6 said:

It does matter in context of the Japanese market, which this thread is about.

The 30-40% figure is an educated guess based on all the information I have. The physical game attach ratio, digital sales on Playstation in Japan not being over 50% based on RE8 only having a 30% digital share iirc and I've read about people seeing Japanese PS5 units in South America, which means they're exported way farther than just Asia.

which makes sense, japanese consoles are much cheaper in japan then they are elsewhere.

in japan a PS5 will run you around 385 dollars after conversion. in south america, it costs you over 700$ after conversion to USD.

even if a person buys a PS5, ships it to brazil for 50$, pays 50$ worth of taxes, and marks 50$ off for profit, its still 50$ cheaper then south american prices.

TheBraveGallade said:

which makes sense, japanese consoles are much cheaper in japan then they are elsewhere.

in japan a PS5 will run you around 385 dollars after conversion. in south america, it costs you over 700$ after conversion to USD.

even if a person buys a PS5, ships it to brazil for 50$, pays 50$ worth of taxes, and marks 50$ off for profit, its still 50$ cheaper then south american prices.

It's Brazil, so more like 400 USD in taxes. 

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

How would you explain the PS5's pathetically low attach ratio in Japan?  They've sold a little more than 1m systems and a little more than 500k software.  The average PS5 gamer in Japan owns half of a game.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zippy6 said:

How would you explain the PS5's pathetically low attach ratio in Japan?  They've sold a little more than 1m systems and a little more than 500k software.  The average PS5 gamer in Japan owns half of a game.

well it's a MMdevice i bet its a good replacement for a broken dvdplayer

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zippy6 said:

Digital games, backwards compatibility and game upgrades. Japanese played upgrading Death Stranding, Final Fantasy 7 and ghost of Tsushima for example would not count as a software sale, yet all 3 would be appealing in Japan. Also just picking up the console when they can knowing that it is a hard to find item, even if there is no ps5 game they are interested in acquiring right now. I'm not saying that accounts for the full discrepancy, but I'm sure the "30-40%" of ps5's bought in Japan not staying in Japan is a gross over-estimate.

PS collection has free games, PS5 is BC, digital ratio is unknown and some of the most popular games (Fortnite, Apex, Warzone) are F2P.

Any with common sense should know that counting PS5 only physical software is not the full story.

Also 30-50% scalped but with no data evidence lol

I do think there is scalping, as there is PS5 scalping globally. I haven't seen any data that leads one to calculate the ratio scalped though.

wait so in japan its fine to take digital in mind that it will have an effect on physical, but when regarding the UK game pass doesn't effect sales?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.