By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the literal heck Nintendo?!?

I love Animal Crossing and the expansion to that game looks amazing, so that alone makes this $50 a year price seem reasonable to me. Heck, I'd buy the expansion for $50. And yeah, I know what people will ask, "What about next year? Do you wanna keep paying to rent that expansion?" The reality is, if they do this with Animal Crossing, what makes you think they won't do it with other games? For all we know, this could be their game plan going forward: Have expansions for major games come bundled with NSO premium model. Who knows? Nintendo likes to experiment with things.

Regarding the N64 + Genesis games, are those two platforms with the current offerings enough to get me to pay the extra $30 a year? For that, I'd have to go through the list of games for sure coming day to NSO with them. Of the ones coming, Banjo Kazooie, Paper Mario, Yoshi's Story, Starfox 64, and Pokemon Snap are absolutely games I will play. I'll probably at least try Sonic 2 and Castlevania Bloodlines. Now that I have a way to play Zelda MM without throwing my TV out of the window because of the stupid reset mechanic by using the suspension of software feature I will also play that game. So, let's just assume all of these games could be bought for $7.99 on a virtual console (and they'd probably sell for more than that if available that way), that's 8 games x $8 = $64. So, for me, in the first year, I will be spending $30 extra dollars on a collection of games worth at least $64. So for one year? This is a STEAL for me, especially considering Animal Crossing. Then you throw in the fact that plenty of other games will be added in time like they did for NES/SNES NSO and it makes it even better. And SNES wasn't at launch with NSO, so I also believe there could be another platform added (maybe GB/GBA) to this tier for free just like SNES was added for free to tier 1.

It all comes down to libraries. This combined library is of a greater value to me than the cost I will put into it, therefore it is a great price point. They'd have to charge like $100 a year before I'd get close to breaking even (especially if you add in NES/SNES games). Do the math on the games you'd want to play with the convenience of a portable device that has suspension of software feature. If you could save money playing the games this way, rather than buying, then this is worth $30 extra a year, if you could save money by just buying them on older platforms and don't care about modern features, then this may not be worth it to you. It's absolutely worth it to me.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 15 October 2021

Around the Network

Are they forcing everyone to upgrade or is this BS optional?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

This fantastic deal is optional.

Dulfite said:
Leynos said:

I own MUSHA physically and do have Sin & Punishment on my Wii U. Be neat to play them on Switch but not for $50 a year. Remove the Animal Crossing and replace it with local back up options then I can at least consider it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Dulfite said:

I own MUSHA physically and do have Sin & Punishment on my Wii U. Be neat to play them on Switch but not for $50 a year. Remove the Animal Crossing and replace it with local back up options then I can at least consider it.

If those are literally the only games you'd pay for then sure, this isn't worth it. All about individual tastes. I identified $64 worth of games I'd play right now for the extra $30 a year, and that's not counting all the games they will add that we don't know about yet, so it is absolutely worth it to me. Ownership, to me, is worthless, as I don't play games I've already beaten almost ever. I've never beaten (or played much of) MM, Yoshi's Island, Banjo Kazooie, Pokemon Snap, Sonic 2, or Castlevania Bloodlines, and while I've beaten Paper Mario and Starfox 64, those are games I'd love to have constant access to with suspend software feature.

I just hope NSO one day is like Gamepass. The dream for me, one day, is to never own or purchase a video game again and instead just subscribe indefinetly to save money and have even more access to games.

Around the Network

If there’s anything I’ve learned about online outrage it’s that it results in insane sales for the company. Looks like Nintendo has a real winner here.

S.Peelman said:

The idea of offering DLC in the premium online plan isn't so bad actually. If it was a global thing; all DLC (or well, all normal ones, I guess huge game expansions wouldn't be smart business-wise). For this offering yeah it's a pretty steep price. But then again I don't even pay the normal price.

it doesn't need to be all DLC, just nintendo DLC (as trying to get other complanies' DLC inside such a method would be really hard when the main income of a lot of gaming companies are DLC these days, main game is just to recuperate dev costs)

Captain_Yuri said:

Everyone else: Pay $60 a year and get 2-3 modern games per month
Nintendo: Pay $50 a year to play 30 year old games

And only about two of them per month, at the rate they released NES/SNES games.

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

You can bet it will make profit, just like PS+ did, XBL and several other stuff that used to be "free" but got a major wallpay and people swolled it.

Yep.  PSN in particularly bothers me, because souls is my 2nd favorite franchise and I like just jumping online randomly, but hate having to pay for it.  Really I just don't play online via souls as much as I would like because I refuse to pay for PSN.  Online should be free for low volume online gamers such as myself, but it will never happen.  

Nintendo charging for subscription doesn't bother me, because of the VC titles I have on other systems.  I'm just thankful I already own the games.  Subscriptions aren't my thing, though it is the future.  

Only a matter of time before new AAA releases are subscriptions.  

Totally agree with you.

PS+ for me I sub because of the collection of games gave during the year plus the step discount for little older games... right now I`m at 12 PS5, 195 PS4 free games on PSN, plus over another 200 that I either bought or were gifted by Sony. But I haven`t touched the Multiplayers on it.

So yes, something like Gamepass is nice service (even though I don`t like the type of direction that can lead), but at least it works similar to a rental, you pay per month and can pick and use whatever is available. Paying for online or to much for old titles (I do like those 30 titles collection on a midia though) is bad for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:

The question isn't if it is overpriced, but more will people pay for it? If people pay for it, at the end of the day it is a good business decision.

I hate that this is probably the most intelligent and reasonable post in the whole thread. Because even though I hate it, I still want it. there are 8 people on my family plan, and if each of us pitch in a wee bit extra, we ALL get the new features. It WILL be worth it on the family plan. It's NOT worth it on the single plan. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android