By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 37, 2021 - (6th Sept - 12th Sept)

Agente42 said:

Increase it´s one thing, another is surpassed the sales of physical and digital of Berseria. It´s a pure wet dream. You don´t have this data, so it´s purely speculative. Japanese sales, in this generation, prove the main drivers is physical media and digital was the main drive when physical sold out. 

How is that a pure wet dream? You said that it sold 160k on PS4 and 74k on PS3 whereas this title sold 151k on PS5 and 50k on PS4. The difference is only 30k (just 16%). Now, of course the other two had digital sales to account for as well. 71% of Sony's reported game sales were through digital means for Q1 2021. In 2016 for the same quarter it was just 29%. That's a huge increase and enough to potentially make up the difference in physical and digital. 

Now obviously we don't have direct numbers for Japan, but you don't either, so acting as if it's an impossibility isn't understandable given this information. 

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Agente42 said:

Increase it´s one thing, another is surpassed the sales of physical and digital of Berseria. It´s a pure wet dream. You don´t have this data, so it´s purely speculative. Japanese sales, in this generation, prove the main drivers is physical media and digital was the main drive when physical sold out. 

How is that a pure wet dream? You said that it sold 160k on PS4 and 74k on PS3 whereas this title sold 151k on PS5 and 50k on PS4. The difference is only 30k (just 16%). Now, of course the other two had digital sales to account for as well. 71% of Sony's reported game sales were through digital means for Q1 2021. In 2016 for the same quarter it was just 29%. That's a huge increase and enough to potentially make up the difference in physical and digital. 

Now obviously we don't have direct numbers for Japan, but you don't either, so acting as if it's an impossibility isn't understandable given this information. 

You can look for digital performance in the Japanese market and see this, don´t have any proof of digital outperformance over physical yet. So, it´s pure speculation without any indication. The indication you have and you may check it´s the digital outperformance only when physical run out. This theory only mentioned because Ps5 abysmal software sales, and yet have no indication of this.  

Next week NSW 2021 falls behind 2020 for the first time this year.

The Switch is holding up better in the lead up to the OLED model than I thought it would. It will get a deficit against 2020 next week and sales should drop below 60k at least once in the next three weeks but the deficit will only be around 100k by early October so it should regain the lead that month unless the OLED underperforms. It could even regain it the week it comes out.

Last edited by Norion - on 16 September 2021

Agente42 said:
youngbr said:

Digital sales increased a lot lately.

Japan? Do you have data for the Japanese market to support this claim? 

Then the people who bought the PS5 digital version don't buy games? 

Around the Network

Obviously great performance for tales, in line with historic performance despite some platform woes (PS4 dying/PS5 slow to start) and it managed to expand in the west without damaging itself in Japan. Will easily be the best selling game in the series WW by quite the margin.

Xbox Series X|S manages to stay above 2k even with low X numbers. That means it still on track to outsell the Xbox One LTD by the end of the year.

Agente42 said:

You can look for digital performance in the Japanese market and see this, don´t have any proof of digital outperformance over physical yet. So, it´s pure speculation without any indication. The indication you have and you may check it´s the digital outperformance only when physical run out. This theory only mentioned because Ps5 abysmal software sales, and yet have no indication of this.  

Okay, let me give you some examples. This unfortunately wont be for Playstation, but it should provide some clarification. 

For the Nintendo Switch, Animal Crossing sold about 9.19M in Japan in 2020. Per Famitsu, 6.3M of these were boxed copies leaving 2.89M digital. That's 31%. Super Mario 3D All Stars sold 880k in Japan in 2020, 492k was boxed per Famitsu. Meaning 44% of the sales were digital. Pikmin 3 Deluxe sold 462k boxed with 820k total, leaving for a similar 43% of sales were digital. 1.28M Mario Kart 8 Deluxe copies sold in Japan in 2020, 798k copies were physical so 38% digital. This is for the Switch as well where Nintendo's reported digital/physical ration favors physical whereas Sony's actually favors digital. I've already shown you how digital has increased significantly through the years as well, so digital sales in 2016 (when Beseria launched) were significantly lower than they are today.

Basically, you're saying "pure speculation without any indication" but I'm saying there is plenty of indication to use with my speculation. I feel I've appropriately explained this as well. IMO, there is a good enough amount of data to suggest that Arise could have beat Beseria's launch sales when accounting for digital. That doesn't mean it DID, but it's possible. It is certainly possible that it matched it too.  

Doctor_MG said:
Agente42 said:

Okay, let me give you some examples. This unfortunately wont be for Playstation, but it should provide some clarification. 

For the Nintendo Switch, Animal Crossing sold about 9.19M in Japan in 2020. Per Famitsu, 6.3M of these were boxed copies leaving 2.89M digital. That's 31%. Super Mario 3D All Stars sold 880k in Japan in 2020, 492k was boxed per Famitsu. Meaning 44% of the sales were digital. Pikmin 3 Deluxe sold 462k boxed with 820k total, leaving for a similar 43% of sales were digital. 1.28M Mario Kart 8 Deluxe copies sold in Japan in 2020, 798k copies were physical so 38% digital. This is for the Switch as well where Nintendo's reported digital/physical ration favors physical whereas Sony's actually favors digital. I've already shown you how digital has increased significantly through the years as well, so digital sales in 2016 (when Beseria launched) were significantly lower than they are today.

Basically, you're saying "pure speculation without any indication" but I'm saying there is plenty of indication to use with my speculation. I feel I've appropriately explained this as well. IMO, there is a good enough amount of data to suggest that Arise could have beat Beseria's launch sales when accounting for digital. That doesn't mean it DID, but it's possible. It is certainly possible that it matched it too.  

Animal Crossing is just my example, Physical runs out and digital rise. Monster Hunter rise the same thing. Nintendo has one point: two games digital is cheaper than two physical, and yet only games with a focus on digital when physical sold out. And yet the best-case scenario, digital not overperform the physical, likewise occurs in others nation. So digital is not overperform against physical, my argument is valid because of the examples you show. 

Now you try the Straw man fallacy on me.

Agente42 said:

Animal Crossing is just my example, Physical runs out and digital rise. Monster Hunter rise the same thing. Nintendo has one point: two games digital is cheaper than two physical, and yet only games with a focus on digital when physical sold out. And yet the best-case scenario, digital not overperform the physical, likewise occurs in others nation. So digital is not overperform against physical, my argument is valid because of the examples you show. 

Now you try the Straw man fallacy on me.

I'm not saying digital outperforms physical in Japan. I'm suggesting it is definitely higher than 16% of all sales and probably higher than 16% + digital percent from 2016.