By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you manage to get a PlayStation 5 and/or Xbox Series X yet?

Did you manage to get a PlayStation 5 and/or Xbox Series X yet?

Yes, both of them 61 5.59%

Yes, PS5 274 25.11%

Yes, XSX 126 11.55%

No, still looking for a PS5 117 10.72%

No, still looking for an XSX 75 6.87%

No, was always going to buy later 200 18.33%

No, have no interest in either one 238 21.81%

Total:1,091

I haven't started looking actively for a PS5 but just for fun when I'm in an electronics store I check if some are available. Honestly, I don't know if I'd buy one if by some miraculous stroke of luck there was one available. Ratchet and Clank is pretty much the only PS5 exclusive currently released that I'd want to play and I can wait and play it later.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Dante9 said:

I'm not sympathizing with anyone, I'm just stating facts. Scarcity is not done by Sony, but the global lack of components and the scalpers taking everything they possibly can by abusing the online stores.

I don't think it's the job of any hardware manufacturer to burn extra money to establish their own supply chains to get around these asshole scalpers. Especially console companies, who start out selling these machines at a loss to begin with.

Retail needs to get their shit together, that's their part of the equation. But I guess Walmart and friends don't exactly have a problem with moving shit as fast as possible, they want their cut. It's about money, as you say.

Lastly, there wouldn't be a market for scalpers if all the zero patience pathetic lemmings wouldn't buy from them and pay more than is warranted. I spit on you, lemmings.

Dante9, you can believe what they tell you, or you can look at their financial statements. They are making money, lots of money.

The moment you stop giving it to them and they don't go out of their way to please you as a customer, is the moment that they have found a different revenue stream. AMD bought a lot of allocations from TCMZ (7nm), but that doesn't mean they can't re-sell it to a higher bidder. How is this connected to Sony? Well they are not hurting financially, so I'm not so gullible as to take their excuses as fact.

I vote with my purchasing power, and I find Sony lacking. I've placed my order for a Tesla, and I know I'm in line to get it; I've paid a deposit to secure my place in line. You mean to tell me Sony can't do this?

They can do better, but choose not to because they are comfortable. They were not comfortable back in the days of the PS3. 

DraconianAC said:

Dante9, you can believe what they tell you, or you can look at their financial statements. They are making money, lots of money.

The moment you stop giving it to them and they don't go out of their way to please you as a customer, is the moment that they have found a different revenue stream. AMD bought a lot of allocations from TCMZ (7nm), but that doesn't mean they can't re-sell it to a higher bidder. How is this connected to Sony? Well they are not hurting financially, so I'm not so gullible as to take their excuses as fact.

I vote with my purchasing power, and I find Sony lacking. I've placed my order for a Tesla, and I know I'm in line to get it; I've paid a deposit to secure my place in line. You mean to tell me Sony can't do this?

They can do better, but choose not to because they are comfortable. They were not comfortable back in the days of the PS3. 

I was trying to stay out of this fight because it's a really silly argument...but like, seriously? Sony does NOT want scalpers to be picking the consoles up. Because scalpers do not buy games. The consoles are sold at a loss to sony or if we're lucky a very small benefit...it's the GAMES that make Sony money in the first year or two. And scalpers don't buy games. 

If you genuinely think Sony doesn't care or that there's much of anything they can do that won't get beaten by scalpers (All your suggestions can be mass-enacted by scalpers), then I don't know what to tell ya. You're wrong, and you don't really understand business all that well. 

Sony is making money because their brand is strong right now, their games are selling, and they've still got a PS4 selling reasonably well. literally the only thing they're benefitting from this scalper situation is the hype that their console is so sought-after that it's got a strong presence on the scalper market. but that benefit would still remain if people who actually wanted the consoles were buying them, with the added bonus of also buying games. 

I don't know what to say, man. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Was able to secure a pre-order on the Xbox Series X before launch. Games got delayed that I was looking forward to which makes me sad, but I have really enjoyed the quicker load times, quick resume with many games loaded in, and snappier controller response.

My backlogs that I have on both the PS4 and One consoles have always sat there and grew, and contributed to the growth of my guilty conscience, but now I'm grateful for them. Who would have thought that the best things really do come to those who wait. The amount of games that I have unplayed that are receiving higher frame rate and graphical upgrades keeps me giddy.

I have not secured a PS5 yet. I'm looking forward to Kuna if it's not multi-plat, Final Fantasy XVI is in there, I haven't got Ghost of Tsushima yet, and KOTOR will make me not want to wait too long. My Horizon on PS4 is still in plastic (sorry), but both it and forbidden will be played on the PS5. No rush for me, much of my time will be consumed by 1st party Xbox, and 3rd party titles for the rest of this year and next. Sony going to the cheaper parts for their new iteration of the PS5 scared me for a bit, and recent videos are starting to calm my misgivings. If there is going to be a PS5 Pro, I will wait for that, if not, I'll pick up slim when it comes out.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Runa216 said:
DraconianAC said:

I was trying to stay out of this fight because it's a really silly argument...but like, seriously? Sony does NOT want scalpers to be picking the consoles up. Because scalpers do not buy games. The consoles are sold at a loss to sony or if we're lucky a very small benefit...it's the GAMES that make Sony money in the first year or two. And scalpers don't buy games. 

If you genuinely think Sony doesn't care or that there's much of anything they can do that won't get beaten by scalpers (All your suggestions can be mass-enacted by scalpers), then I don't know what to tell ya. You're wrong, and you don't really understand business all that well. 

Sony is making money because their brand is strong right now, their games are selling, and they've still got a PS4 selling reasonably well. literally the only thing they're benefitting from this scalper situation is the hype that their console is so sought-after that it's got a strong presence on the scalper market. but that benefit would still remain if people who actually wanted the consoles were buying them, with the added bonus of also buying games. 

Thank you, I forgot abut that point completely. As long as there are thousands and thousands of PS5s laying around in scalper facilities, those units are not contributing to game sales, and that's where the real money is for Sony.

No matter how much money a company is making, they will always want more, and right now they are practically losing money on each PS5 that's not in use.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Well, business is a broad term. It can be used in many ways, as both good or bad. For instance, a drug cartel operates its business in a different way than pharmaceutical company. They both sell similar products, but they do business differently, so you are going to have to more specific if you want land a hit with at accusation.

Which brings me to what I do know a little about. If you take a few accounting classes, and you happen to get a good instructor, they will tell you that the financial statements are what you should look at, not at what the PR department is spinning. If you remember the days of Enron, you will understand that Corporations make it habit to lie whenever it suits them. (don't worry it's legal, but complicated)

Take exhibit A for instance:

If you look above, you see that the "Games and Network Services" is the highest grossing sector, and right behind it is the "Electronic Products and Solutions," and "Financial services."

I do understand that many people can interpret this sheet differently, but what I see the biggest drop off from last year is in "Digital software and Add-content." Yet the third biggest increase is in "Hardware and Others." Now this could definitely be explained to the consumers that Scalpers have got all these PS5 sales. I just don't buy it. I see VGchartz numbers, granted they are an estimates, and I see PS4 sales fell off a cliff and PS5 hasn't even sold over 12 million in these past 9 months?  That's less than 1.5 million a month. Sony even promised it doubled it's allocation of Waiffers from TSMC from it's original goal of 10 million. That was before the PS5 was launched.

If PS5 are being sold at a loss and PS4 fell of a cliff, but they are making more money now on the "Hardware and Others." (Focus on the Others) It just doesn't add up to me, that they are making more now they they were back in 2020 when the PS4 was selling well do to the Pandemic quarantines.

There is more, but I'm sure you can look at the Financial statements and do the work yourself, since you obviously know more about business than myself.

Dante9 said:
Runa216 said:

Thank you, I forgot abut that point completely. As long as there are thousands and thousands of PS5s laying around in scalper facilities, those units are not contributing to game sales, and that's where the real money is for Sony.

No matter how much money a company is making, they will always want more, and right now they are practically losing money on each PS5 that's not in use.

If you look at the Exhibit A above, you can see a huge drop off in sales of "Digital software and Add-content." If you saw that in your company, wouldn't you like to correct that ASAP? Or would you be okay with the status quo because you have managed to barely squeeze a net profit after you sum everything up.

I'm not looking at this as an investor, I'm looking at it as a consumer.

I find Sony lacking and I blame them completely because they have had 9 months to address this issue, so the more time passes the more time I will loose interest in their gaming products. I'm entering my 40's, and I can do many other things with my disposable income, I don't have to hang on to console video gaming as my only source of entertainment. If they want keep me as a customer, they need to make it easy to own and an enjoyable experience.

Last edited by DraconianAC - on 11 September 2021

I got a Series S at launch and a Series X from a scalper in December. I'll likely pick up a PS5 later in the generation.

I am very happy with both of my XBs. I play the X more, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how capable the Series S feels. It does have an annoyingly small SSD in comparison though.

Deleted double post

IcaroRibeiro said:
ice said:

I was in a gamestop the other day selling my switch+games and the employee tried selling me on a PS5. I scoffed at him and proudly pointed to my Xbox shirt, it was such an alpha move it shook him to his very core and he went silent. I proudly left that Gamestop with my chest out and $20 in-store credit from my trade in value.

But to answer your question, yes. I was able to secure a series X preorder at launch from amazon. The day it arrived I knew it was something special. The box was sleek, bold, and sexy but what truly amazed me was how the packaging was so premium it put my Gucci goods to shame and was oh so accessible and thoughtful making sure every gamer from any walk of life could enjoy the experience. But the magic didn't stop there.

I quickly booted it up, and damn MS really outdid themselves with the QoL features. Games automatically detect and download the next gen versions, but what about the saves? No worries, all the saves are in the cloud as always with xbox. It put me in the game in no time. Soon that Smart Delivery term starts looking less gimmicky and actually matter, this was the most seamless and enjoyable generational switch ever! The Gamepass library is ever growing and vast and fills all my deep crevasse of gaming needs and wants. Between GP and Xbox Rewards, I feel like Xbox is paying me to play games, the value is just killer and with Halo and Forza Horizon around the corner I feel like I'm in a constant state of euphoria.

Just to state it again, yes I bought a Series X and I wish I can shout it from the rooftops every single day.

Cringe

And yet more original than anything you'd probably come up with. 

I haven't yet managed to find a PS5 whose controller doesn't make my eyes bleed, so I'll probably wait a good while still. That is, I might be waiting for a suitably themed PS5 with a better-looking controller. The wait is made easier by the lack of supply, the lack of interesting exclusives, and the relatively high MSRP. Once the price drops and the exclusives start coming in, I might be tempted to get a PS5 with the black controller if the console gets a better-looking model as well. Or maybe maybe some really, really interesting exclusive could get me over my intense hatred for the controller. It's really atrocious though, by far the worst-looking (interesting) piece of console hardware I can remember.

As for Xbox, I already have a PC.