By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you manage to get a PlayStation 5 and/or Xbox Series X yet?

Did you manage to get a PlayStation 5 and/or Xbox Series X yet?

Yes, both of them 61 5.59%

Yes, PS5 274 25.11%

Yes, XSX 126 11.55%

No, still looking for a PS5 117 10.72%

No, still looking for an XSX 75 6.87%

No, was always going to buy later 200 18.33%

No, have no interest in either one 238 21.81%

Total:1,091

Yup, I got an Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S at home. I don't think anyone will regret upgrading to either PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Last generation of console were really held back and offer much inferior experience compare to PC due to slow load time and bad framerate.
A game like Yakuza: like a Dragon or Marvel's Avengers were they let you toggle between graphic mode, can really show what you've been missing out.

On Xbox Series X, the real shining start is game pass. Microsoft really drop the ball on offering next gen Xbox Series X experience in 2020 and so far in 2021. But, the growth in Game pass service as been unexpected and more than made up for lack of available next gen experience. On top of continuously growing the library of game available on Game pass the biggest different is how many game drop on the service day one. The fact that this included MLB the Show was mind boggling. 2021 has really been an eye opener for the potential of this service. I normally play around 10-20 hours a week and there an over whelming amount of content available right now.

Last year the Xbox Series X launch really felt lacking, I wind up buying multi platform Valhalla, Watch Dog and Yakuza : like a dragon there was really a lack of exclusive contents. But, ever since they added Call of the Sea in December 2020 to Game pass it's been non-stop amount of content. It's been really nice not having to spend anything since I bought three games at launch. Really make you wonder how sustainable is Microsoft game pass. I got my membership extended to Dec 31, 2022 for fraction of the cost and I really haven't contributed any money for over a year.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Pemalite said:

Your rig is still pretty potent all things considered.
Although the 5950X will easily out-bench the 10980XE, even with 2 less cores.. AMD is just ripping it up at the moment, which is what sold me, there is also the potential for a Ryzen refresh this year with a "3D cache".
We are at that point where high-end CPU's are just ridiculous from an IPC and Core count perspective, in the real world, you wouldn't be able to tell our CPU's apart with general usage.

Ryzen 6950X+128GB DDR5+Radeon 7900XT next year sounds appetizing.

Keeping a watchful eye on Intel though, I may just switch back if their next gen CPU's pan out.

You know me, I stand by Intel. :P

That said, they need to step their game up. There's no reason that the 10980XE isn't the clear winner in a lot of benches (as past Extreme Core Procs easily were). They've let AMD find a nice little pocket and currently have no answer for it (sorry Alder Lake kids, that ain't enough)!

The rumor mill mentions their next HEDT platform (X699). We'll see where that goes, because a true successor to the 10980XE + 128-256GB of DDR5 + a 4090 (or two) is something I'm looking towards, particularly as I'm now building bigger CG worlds and far more complex characters.

Just like consoles, I'm not married to any specific brand, just what provides the best price/performance... And AMD's Ryzen is dominating the industry right now.

The only reason I didn't go threadripper/epyc is because it's still Zen 2 based... Higher IPC and clockrates won the purchase decision and Zen 3 won out. (Plus platform investment next year.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I did... then I gave the XSX away because I moved over to PCMR...

CGI-Quality said:
Pemalite said:

Ryzen 5950X @5ghz, 64GB DDR4 3600mhz. More CPU power than an Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 and probably Switch combined. Hoorah.
Didn't go HEDT for the first time in over a decade... But still faster than most Intel rigs.

This is just a stop gap PC to tie me over until next year when DDR5 brings all the boys to the yard.

Also got a desire to upgrade my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G. Maybe a fold? But the camera sensors leave much to be desired...

Yeah, my PC, even with the aging X299 platform, blows both consoles into oblivion. I would have moved on to another platform, but the PCIe 5 + DDR5 combo is coming! I can hold off with what I have, which is the 10980XE @4.8GHz, 128GB DDR4 @3600MHz, and a TITAN RTX. The plan is to maybe grab 2 Samsung 980 Pros (2TB) [currently using two 970 EVO Plus drives], NVIDIA's next big boy (4090), and Intel's next Extreme HEDT (I'd be fine with a move to 22 cores given I'm currently rockin' 18 and really don't expect to ever push them beyond their capabilities).

holy shit you work with 3d and play only in 4k?

I´m happy with an old notebook with 980 and a Pc with 3070.

CGI-Quality said:
Agente42 said:

holy shit you work with 3d and play only in 4k?

I´m happy with an old notebook with 980 and a Pc with 3070.

I have an IPS 4K monitor, but I use it with the Series X. Issue is it isn't a Wide Gamut device (it's a 2018 LG model), which is what I use on PC. Both LG, 1440p, one is 144Hz, the other 180Hz. DCI-P3 of 98%, G-Sync, 1ms, IPS. Easy sweet spot on that platform. No need to waste resources on 4K until I'm working with NVIDIA's Hopper cards.

I playing in 24 inches Acer predator144hz and no need for upper 1440p either because I hate playing on a large screen( 55 inches or above). 1080 is good enough for me, 60 frames/second. 

Around the Network

Time to change my answer, got a ps5 today :) Local store for the win, the friendly owner pulled one aside for me when they finally got a few new ones in today. Gonna be fun tonight!