By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Psychonauts 2 is outstanding!!

Don't want to spoil too much 'cause it's new (plus I haven't finished my first playthrough yet), but based on my experience so far, I can definitively say that Psychonauts 2 is the best game I own for the Series X that's not also available on the PlayStation 5. The way the stage designs connect directly to the mental states and particular struggles of the characters who's minds you enter feels especially deliberate in a way that I've consistently found moving. I've been struck by how serious mental conditions like alcoholism and PTSD have been centered in a way that makes them approachable topics without trivializing them. The writing's excellent and very witty in a way that fans of the original will recognize, but this is at the same time a serious, emotional story about forgiveness with lots of layers to peel back, and I'm not done yet.

That's all I wanted to say. Get this game, especially if you own a Series X! Even without being finished yet, I can already say it's one of the most fun and meaningful games I've played all year.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 28 August 2021

Around the Network

Yeah I completely agree. The first game did a great job also representing the psyche of each subject - the Milkman conspiracy level being a prime example. The second does it even better - and its more 'meta' and self-aware than ever. I've finished my first runthrough already but I want to go back and do the collectibles.

Also to clarify, the game is also on PS5, it's just that you play the PS4 Pro version at 1440p@60fps rather than having a native app. While it's quite sad that no native version is planned, you can have 100% of the experience there too, so there's no excuse to skip it. It even plays flawlessly on my 750ti at 900p :)

Story wise the game might be good. But I played it and did not care for it one bit. In fact, I thought gameplay felt super slow. I think maybe Mario 64 felt like that back when it came out but in those days it was revolutionary. Overall for a platformer I give it a 3 out of 10.

Are there any plans for a VR version? Rhombus of Ruin was amazing. Maybe some day.

@Soonerman Double fine is much better at the adventure part and writing. Hence Rhombus of Ruin working so well, especially with the perspective changes that are only possible in VR (no platforming in that one) I couldn't get on with the platforming in the first one either, tried to get through it three times, but nope.

SvennoJ said:

Are there any plans for a VR version? Rhombus of Ruin was amazing. Maybe some day.

I doubt it.

Microsoft had so many chances for awesome VR-modes (Forza Horizon/Motorsport, Super Lucky's Tale) but missed out on them.
Games with optional PCVR lost their VR-part in the Microsoft store (newest example: the Myst remake).

The only Microsoft published game with VR-support (I know of) is Flight Simulator.

Nevertheless, Psychonauts 2 is gorgeous! I loved every minute of playtime so far.

Well, except when I worried that I can't complete the collectibles due to a glitch in the cooking show. I finished the last round with enough time, but wasn't ablue to get the price. In the unconcious revisit the box is locked... but according to this video I can get the tag after the main story:

Around the Network

Great to hear, I'll be playing it on PS5 next month after Kena comes out. Although Native 4k would be ideal,1440p/60fps is great too and I believe resolution is the only difference between the PlayStation and Xbox version?

Otter said:

Great to hear, I'll be playing it on PS5 next month after Kena comes out. Although Native 4k would be ideal,1440p/60fps is great too and I believe resolution is the only difference between the PlayStation and Xbox version?

I think the resolution is the only difference. I've not heard of any other distinctions anyway.

Anyway, yeah I'm looking forward to Kena too! It looks like Legend of Zelda type material, but with a Disney animated feature type of feel that I can't help finding endearing. Spiritfarer, The Medium, Kena, even in a certain sense Psychonauts 2...so many games these days are using this 'repairing lost/damaged souls/minds type of framing as a way of addressing mental illness. It's a neat trend that continues to interest me. So yeah, I'll definitely be playing that game too.

Glad that you enjoyed it. I played it for a couple of hours and gave up. Not my cup of tea.

I could deal with the story and characters if the gameplay was good but nope. Platforming isn't great, nor is combat and the many (many) cut scenes slowed down the pace way too much.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 August 2021

Otter said:

Native 4k, 120fps mode, VRR, faster loading times

OT: I'm early into the game, but I'm loving it so far. Was busy with some other games, but now it has my attention. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 30 August 2021

Otter said:

I haven't paid much attention to the differences between the console comparisons in terms of effects however this video does a good comparison across all platforms, even last gen systems.

From what i know is the PS5 version is the PS4 version running in Backwards Compatibility however its been boosted from 1080p/30fps to 1440p/60fps with no clue if Microsoft will offer a full PS5 optimization version. 

(6) Psychonauts 2 | Xbox One / Series S|X - PS4 / PS5 - PC | All Versions Graphics Comparison & FPS - YouTube

Resolution and FPS (Gen 9)

Load Times (Gen 9)