By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware July 4-10 - PS5 Sales Top 10 Million

PS5 is doing huge numbers for first year. Wonder if it's just a lot of early demand for the next gen + still pandemic oversized demand or if this is a signal it's gonna be like a 130+ million seller.

How many weeks did it take other systems to hit 10 million? Is PS5 the fastest out of the gate?

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

PS5 is doing huge numbers for first year. Wonder if it's just a lot of early demand for the next gen + still pandemic oversized demand or if this is a signal it's gonna be like a 130+ million seller.

How many weeks did it take other systems to hit 10 million? Is PS5 the fastest out of the gate?

The Wii took 36 weeks to reach 10mil, one week more, but since the PS5 is just barely over 10mil even small downward adjustments would mean that the PS5 is on par with the Wii instead of one week faster.

PS4 and Xbone well and truly winding down, pretty sure 3DS was higher 8 months post-replacement, as well as PS3 and 360?

Slownenberg said:

Yes

And there’s a high probability is undertracked. 

Kakadu18 said:
Slownenberg said:

The Wii took 36 weeks to reach 10mil, one week more, but since the PS5 is just barely over 10mil even small downward adjustments would mean that the PS5 is on par with the Wii instead of one week faster.

Wii's launch was also staggered by region across a 3 week period.

Around the Network

With all the great PlayStation exclusives next year and I think stock issue resolved, the PS5 will be a juggernaut.

Switch is gaining nearly as big of a lead from America as it is from Japan now. 

NA may be the most contested major region but it will be very difficult for either XS or PS5 to catch up to Switch there.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2021

Rob5VGC said:

PS5 is #1 in EU. EU is back to being Sonyland...(dependent on future stock). Switch being #1 in EU was only temporary during the PS4 and PS5 stock transition period. This week is just a sign of the future. I don't like current Sony, btw, so no bias, just sales.

Yes, Sonyland with its *checks notes* .0015% lead.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Some Switch lovers feel nervous. ^^

But I can understand, if PS5 doing that kind of numbers with stock issues, it will be huge without stock issues. And Steam Deck is coming...

So for global about 7 more weeks before NS leaves PS5 in the dust for good? Or am I missing something?