By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware July 4-10 - PS5 Sales Top 10 Million

eva01beserk said:

People got to stop putting the switch agaisnt the steam deck. The steam deck is gona really face the succesor to the switch. I see this as the 360 vs the ps3. Steam needs a head start to take on an establish company in the handheld market. Lets say the switch 2 comes out at $300 again I do see steam deck droping price to match it by then.

I doubt Steam Deck will clash with Switch 2 much either to be honest, it's still kinda like comparing a PS5 to a gaming PC. They're different products for different kinds of gamers.

I do agree however that the endless pitting of Switch vs Steam Deck is tiresome and pointless.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
eva01beserk said:

People got to stop putting the switch agaisnt the steam deck. The steam deck is gona really face the succesor to the switch. I see this as the 360 vs the ps3. Steam needs a head start to take on an establish company in the handheld market. Lets say the switch 2 comes out at $300 again I do see steam deck droping price to match it by then.

The Steam Deck is still a PC, not a console. It won't be in direct competition with any console regardless.

curl-6 said:
eva01beserk said:

I doubt Steam Deck will clash with Switch 2 much either to be honest, it's still kinda like comparing a PS5 to a gaming PC. They're different products for different kinds of gamers.

I do agree however that the endless pitting of Switch vs Steam Deck is tiresome and pointless.

Well yea I agree with that. But what I was trying to say was more of a generational separation between the 2 devices. Like the 360 was not competing with the ps2 just because the ps3 was a year behind. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Usual leadership for NS.
Excellent achievement for PS5.

As HW power is a strong selling point for both PS5 and XS, I suspect that a thing that can damage both Sony and MS is the fact that multiplats must run also on the crippled XS base model so the HW power of the best Sony and MS models is quite considerably underused.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

trunkswd said:

Welfare from ResetEra estimating Xbox Series X|S shipment figures of ~6.4 million as of June 30, 2021. We have sold through sales of 5.82 million for July 3. I'd say our estimates are pretty dang close. 

Never understood why MS is not publishing any sales data anymore, even if Series X/S are doing better than their previous consoles launch aligned.

And what about subscriptions data, nothing??

Also, does the data for revenue includes the Xbox One?

Alby_da_Wolf said:

As HW power is a strong selling point for both PS5 and XS, I suspect that a thing that can damage both Sony and MS is the fact that multiplats must run also on the crippled XS base model so the HW power of the best Sony and MS models is quite considerably underused.

As Xbox Series S has a solid state drive and the same CPU as the X just at a slightly lower clockspeed, and graphics are highly scalable, it shouldn't be as big a anchor as raw Teraflops might suggest. Games can simply use lower graphics settings on the S and higher ones on X and PS5 in the same way that the PC versions of games are already designed to run on a wide range of hardware power specs.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 July 2021

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

As Xbox Series S has a solid state drive and the same CPU as the X just at a slightly lower clockspeed, and graphics are highly scalable, it shouldn't be as big a anchor as raw Teraflops might suggest. Games can simply use lower graphics settings on the S and higher ones on S and PS5 in the same way that the PC versions of games are already designed to run on a wide range of hardware power specs.

MS Flight Sim runs pretty dang well on my Series S. We shouldn't be seeing too much any issues for many years with it. 

The Bethesda console exclusivity and Xbox series S maybe Microsoft better positioned this gen. And I believe total sales of the twins(Xbox and PS) stabilize, not more go down, because India market. Let's see...

Low market entry with Gamepass is a good proposition on stationary consoles. 

Sony just confirmed on twitter 10 million ps5 sold as of 18 july. So the estimation here is on track

Congrats on the accurate tracking! Amazing job.

Somini said:

Sony just confirmed on twitter 10 million ps5 sold as of 18 july. So the estimation here is on track

not on track, is overtracked. But excellent work in estimates, so close.

trunkswd said:
Agente42 said:

not on track, is overtracked

Only by one week, which is still pretty good. I'll make the necessary adjustments to have it topping 10 million a week later. 

yeah I know, great work, so close.