By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 20-26 - Switch Sells 376K, PS5 Sells 226K, XS Sells 136K

Xbox Series X Restock Date Unknown As PS5 Dominates India : https://in.ign.com/ps5/162034/editorial/xbox-series-x-vs-ps5-india-restock-date-games?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

You may not be impressed and that's fair enough, but it is not "very close" really; Switch has over 6 times as much useable RAM and GPU technology a decade more modern. Obviously as a device that has to function as a portable it cannot offer a generational jump in raw power but the Switch's performance as a console is still significantly ahead of PS3 and 360.

Take Crysis. Switch compared to PS3/360 has a higher resolution, higher framerate, more foliage, better effects work for water, motion blur, and depth of field, plus the addition of SVOGI which is a form of ray traced global illumination. The gap over PS3/360 is quite clear.

Crysis is one game. I've seen many many games on switch and watched most of the analysis on digital foundry and it's not good.

Yes it has some games ported that are even not available on the PS3 and 360 however they are not great. Bad framerates, cutting corners with graphics with resolutions. It's bad in comparison to home console like PS4/PS5/XBOX.

That's why I am saying it's more close to PS3 and 360 than the next console. therefore switch is not just 1 generation behind. graphical and in performance.

It's almost 2 generations behind.

I am not doubting it's technology or that it has more ram.

Just the final execution is more like PS3 on the go than PS4 or xbox.

You're moving the goalposts; you said that Switch had "PS3 graphics", that's the claim I object to because it's technically untrue. I watch Digital Foundry too, religiously in fact as gaming graphics tech are one of my special interests and I've watched every DF entry on the Switch, most multiple times. I'm very aware of Switch's capabilities and limitations, and it is clearly a cut above the graphical capability of PS3.

Here's the thing though; high end graphics aren't the be-all end-all to most consumers. Many popular games have average or even below average graphics, and many weaker consoles have outsold more powerful competitors.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Here's the thing though; high end graphics aren't the be-all end-all to most consumers. Many popular games have average or even below average graphics, and many weaker consoles have outsold more powerful competitors.

You are absolutely right here. I agree.

Switch is not making anything more than 140M. And switch demise begins with next year. End of topic.

I’ll be saving this… i mean, just in case.

Dulfite said:
Mandalore76 said:

100% true.  The Wii came within a million units of passing the original Playstation in lifetime sales, but Nintendo didn't make any real effort to push the Wii over the top.

Yep. They clearly thought they had a lot more to gain profit-wise by pushing Wii U and 3ds. If Nintendo really cared about generation records (which are meaningless compared to profits for a public traded company), then Wii would have probably sold at least 10-15 million more copies. They will absolutely abandon the Switch the moment they think they can make more profit off a new device, even if it is close to passing up another system lifetime. You don't get to their stability level by focusing on numbers that excite .01% of gamers that care about said numbers, but you do get to that stability by focusing on profits, profits, profits. Obviously the Wii U bombed, but the 3ds made up for it (after its first year), but generally speaking this strategy has worked for Nintendo.

I think this sort of thing might be cultural (Japanese company vs. American company).  If an American company can set some kind of record, then they will do it, even if it really is mostly for marketing purposes.  For example, with Avengers Endgame it was struggling to get past Avatar in total box office, so they released another version with some half-assed post credit stuff.  That was just enough to get another good week at the box office and put them over the top.  Then they could advertise it's "the best selling movie of all time" in time for the DVD release.  They made an effort to be the best selling movie of all time, but the motivation was largely marketing driven.

Perhaps these kinds of announcements are not the sort of things Japanese companies go for?  I don't know.  I know American companies like to make these kinds of announcements though.

yo33331 said:

Okay there is no point in arguing you are here only nintendo fans and all of you are defending the switch obviously ..
I am not bitching switch's fate or something like that and I haven't been one from those who said year after year the switch will fall of a cliff.
I am just saying that In my opinion 2020/2021 is the peak period for the system and the 2022 is starting it's downfall. And I think that because of several factors (the age of the system, the saturation point, the new consoles with full stock for next year, and the price ) Switch will drop to around 15M units. This is my prediction, that's it. We will see the answer of this by next year. There is no point in arguing now. If it is so special and so home and handheld then it have to do Wii + DS numbers which is equal to 255M. Come on I dear you. Cuz if many people buy it for home use and many other for handheld it have to at least beat the DS numbers right ? It won't even manage to do that let alone 255M.

When you say things like "Switch will only sell 15M in 2022.  That will be it's downfall", then that is the same as saying "Switch sales are about to fall off of a cliff".

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 13 July 2021

yo33331 said:

(..)

Also just because you have friends that play more handheld doesn't mean whole world is the same.

I've talked with many of the customers in the store that I worked in and they are playing primary in handheld mode.

I don't mean to be a d*ck, but here goes.

*ahem*

"Just because you have talked to customers in the store doesn't mean whole world is the same."

Joking aside though.

I can agree that this year is the peak and the "Switch demise begins with next year. End of topic." However, just 15M next year? After ~30M this year? Come on now. That would be unprecedented.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
badskywalker said:

Also Nintendo Life Poll form a little less than a year ago has

23% handheld more than 80% of the time

37% on T.V. more than 80% of the time

34% uses fairly equally (30-70% T.V.)

This has 18807 Votes

This is only 18807 people out of how many owners ? close to 90M. This is just 0.02% of all switch owners. It's not enough.

Also just because you have friends that play more handheld doesn't mean whole world is the same.

I've talked with many of the customers in the store that I worked in and they are playing primary in handheld mode.

This is a big enough sample size to be considered an accurate result for an atypical survey sample. Meanwhile. you are arguing against this with a sample size of, what 10 customers in your "Store"? 

Your response is anecdotal at best if i'm honest and your conclusion is frankly ludicrous.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

yo33331 said:

Okay there is no point in arguing you are here only nintendo fans and all of you are defending the switch obviously ..

Otter said:

Does PS5 have Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Breath of the Wild?

Anecdotally I know way more people who use the Switch as fun casual gaming device with friends, than those who use it primarily as a portable. Nintendo also puts a heavy emphasis on this in their marketing. Trying to deduce the proportion of gamers who buy it for portability based on its spec doesn't really get you anywhere. In real life no cares that Mario Kart 8 is not in 4k. 

No it, does not have them.

Wii U had them and was home console only. And how many people bough it ? how many ? not even 14M. Pathetic ..

Just because some people buy the switch and decide to use it's extra ability as a home console sometimes, doesn't mean that the people have bought it specifically for this. But if it couldn't do handheld than many many users would not buy it. That's like to say that people buys smartphones because to watch videos or browse the internet. They just use those extras because they are there. But even if they were not they would buy it again. Because they need it's primary function - phone.

I'm definitely more a Playstation fan in recent years than I am a Nintendo one.

And it seems like you've missed the point

Major selling titles are one very obvious reason why someone will buy a Switch over (or as well as) a PS5, your argument was acting as if they are literally the same aside from portability and power. If the general public only care about flops & Ram as opposed to actual gaming experiences the PSP/Vita would have outsold the DS/3DS. Wii Sports alone is why dozens of millions purchased a Wii, software is crucial to any system's success.

And I introduced the anecdotal evidence as "anecdotal" because I'm fully aware of its limited value (i later gave you actual stats from Nintendo), but it highlights your limited scope in the reasoning behind console purchases. People do not all fall into your logic of simply picking a console based on its resolution output. When purchasing a Switch console many people are literally just thinking about specific fun experiences like playing Mario Kart 8 with their family, or trying out a much hyped release like Animal Crossing or Breadth of the Wild. These are experiences they have to buy a Switch to enjoy. Again no one cares that these experiences are not in 4k, just as they don't care that Fortnite or Among Us isn't cutting edge. Like the Wii before it, Switch is finding success as a popular family/ social device for local multiplayer experiences (again Nintendo feature this in lots of adverts) and blue ocean consumers who haven't purchased a console in recent memory. 

As for the failure of the Wii U, there's a fun thread for you to jump into if you want to go down that rabit hole: 
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244931/what-people-dislike-about-wii-u-hardware/10/#10

But it should clear to anyone that:

1) If the Wii U launched with Zelda Breadth of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2, all in its first 4months it would have had a very different sales trajectory.

2) Distinct marketing/branding of a device. how it distinguishes itself from its predecessor and its value proposition is very important. Wii U failed this whilst the Switch succeeded. The hybrid nature of the Switch is obviously a major USP, but that doesn't translate into your statement of "most of the people buy it for handheld primary. Some small percentage may use it as a home console."

Last edited by Otter - on 13 July 2021

yo33331 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Save it. I will save this whole topic with most of you thinking Switch will beat PS2 and DS just like that.

By end of next year the result will become clear. I am man of my word, if I am wrong I will come out and say it. However I doubt it.

I mean... Switch could easily fall of a cliff tomorrow and end selling only 100 million units and still all your assumptions about it being 90% used as handheld would still wrong

yo33331 said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Save it. I will save this whole topic with most of you thinking Switch will beat PS2 and DS just like that.

By end of next year the result will become clear. I am man of my word, if I am wrong I will come out and say it. However I doubt it.

The whole topic isn't about Switch beating PS2 and DS, the whole topic is about fighting your statements:

- Switch is being used 90% of the time as a handheld

- Switch sales are no different than PS4 sales and thus will have a huge drop after 2022

The Switch can still sell below 140 million and those statements will still remain wrong. That's the whole point of everybody here.

Ugh.